Can't stop eating!

Options
I'm having motivation issues of late- but only late evenings! Whyyy?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Only you can really tell us this question? We don't know you.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    WEIGHT+LOSS+ITS+NOT+THAT+SOME+PPL+HAVE+WILL+POWER+AND+SOME+PPL+DONT.PNG
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating that much during the day, it could definitely increase your desire to snack at night. Make sure to eat enough fats and protein. Other than that it could be that you're bored and are used to idle snacking. Try doing something with your hands (knit, crochet, draw) to reduce the urges. And if you're snacking on something in particular, like candy or cookies, consider just not buying those until you get your evening snacking under control.
  • crystalsrobertson50
    crystalsrobertson50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with "CRAVING" to snack somewhere between 7pm-9pm at night. I'm not necessarily hungry. I really think it's boredom. As for the Carl Sandburg quote, yes people that ARE ready to change still get cravings. We still have bad habits to break too; it's not about willpower.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    A mix of the two 1. you choose to eat then 2, the underlying issues could be you dont care enough, uneven calorie allocation or unsatisfying or over agressive diet.
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm having issues with late night hunger. For me I noticed if I stay up to late I get hungry and that hunger causes me to want to eat unhealthy things. I'm going to try to go to bed earlier before that hunger starts but that's easier said then done. Also I recently joined the YMCA and have been swimming several times a week and(or) working out in the gym. The hunger is stronger on those days. I may need to eat some of my exercise calories on those days to see if that helps. Sometimes I make a little competition with myself to see if I can ignore the hunger and not give in to temptation. It works sometimes. :blush:
  • carolusholman
    carolusholman Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have the urge to eat/drink something usually around 9 PM or so, so last time I actually walked to our community pool and swam 10 laps. A one mile walk + 10 laps actually put food out of mind, when I got home I was ready for bed! No snacks eaten! I will say that this was my first time using this approach, but with some weight loss I don't feel like sitting on the couch so I went and burned it off! I will try it again!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it is not caused by boredom?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

OP wants us to tell her why. I find that interesting.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I don't. People are more likely to recognize things they already know if they hear it from someone else.

If I'm totally misinterpreted your comment, blame it on the language barrier.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I don't. People are more likely to recognize things they already know if they hear it from someone else.

If I'm totally misinterpreted your comment, blame it on the language barrier.

Yeah but usually the user knows why they do what they do. If they don't well that is something that needs to be thought about then.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Marthy101 wrote: »
    I'm having motivation issues of late- but only late evenings! Whyyy?

There is nothing wrong with that. I eat about 2000 cals after 7pm and don't put on weight. However, I have saved those calories in the day because I prefer to eat socially of an evening. If you are feeling pre disposed to eat a lot of a night, you either need to save your cals in the day or exercise to create a bigger deficit. Failing that, you might have to exercise some will power and moderation.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...I have the same issue sometimes at night. I know what it is however...I like to watch tv and munch on something...it is a habit. I ask myself...am I hungry or am I just wanting to satisfy that habit. If I am truly hungry...then I get something to eat. Every once in a while I give in to the habit. I try to pick something low calorie and not beat myself up over it.

Depending on your calorie level you might can leave a couple of hundred calories for that night time urge. I have a sugarfree Chai Tea that I make with unsweetened almond milk that will usually satisfy me...30 calories. I also sometimes make sugar free jello that is about 10 calories. For the hard core munchie urge I have popcorn for 160 calories.
  • Marthy101
    Marthy101 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're good! Hmm, I don't have to have the tv on, but it IS a strong habit. I used to eat a lot of sugar free, etc., doesn't work now. I like the idea of allowing for the calories- I tryyyy. I have 1 Reese's at night (awful, I know!). 210 cal- I plan for it, but then I want More! A small clean snack follows, then another...
    I Don't even question hunger level (tsk)- I feel I can't resist the craving, and give in!
    I read about habit- breaking, but...,
    I need a new non- food "treat" maybe!!?
    Meanwhile, I'll try tea and Jell-O...eh.
    Thanks
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Marthy101 wrote: »
    Wow, you're good! Hmm, I don't have to have the tv on, but it IS a strong habit. I used to eat a lot of sugar free, etc., doesn't work now. I like the idea of allowing for the calories- I tryyyy. I have 1 Reese's at night (awful, I know!). 210 cal- I plan for it, but then I want More! A small clean snack follows, then another...
    I Don't even question hunger level (tsk)- I feel I can't resist the craving, and give in!
    I read about habit- breaking, but...,
    I need a new non- food "treat" maybe!!?
    Meanwhile, I'll try tea and Jell-O...eh.
    Thanks

See if you know foods trigger cravings at night then why look for food during this time. Get rid of the trigger. Find something else since this sounds like a boredom food issue and not a hunger issue. Problem solved.

BTW I did the same. Late night eating was my very first habit I changed even before using MFP. So I knew that you knew what you were doing that was sabotaging yourself.
  • Marthy101
    Marthy101 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody! Boredom? Maybe, but near bedtime (or up in the middle of the night!), probably not that.
    Habit? Definitely! Ugh- breaking a bad habit is the trick. Yes, a non-food treat would be perfect! Hmmm...if only a pleasant distraction would work! Maybe I'll tryyyy to read, do my nails in lieu of peanut butter, etc.!
    Yes, I do think if you have a theory, having it confirmed by an outside source reaffirms it...,
  • ellesMFP93
    ellesMFP93 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I find it really helpful to write WHY I'm eating in the notes of my food diary. It helps me to recognise the patterns I have with eating, the kinds of foods I jump to when I'm stressed, angry or upset and if I'm eating out of boredom rather than hunger.
  • cleanbulk_hatersgfy
    cleanbulk_hatersgfy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My beau has a sweet tooth. He normally likes eating yummy dessert some nights and I'm talking about-- ice cream, carrot cake, chocolate cake, flan, red velvet cake, crave cupcakes etc (you get the idea :smile: ) He is in great shape and can afford the calories. I, on the other hand, don't have a lot of room for that much extra calories. We cut down this yummy dessert to once a week and when we do, we walk to the dessert place. On other nights we snacked on air-popped popcorn, home baked taro/sweet potato/kale chips, sliced cucumbers, raw zucchini, squash-- anything crunchy!
  • daniellepstewart209
    daniellepstewart209 Posts: 32 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Snack on raw carrots, watermelon, celery. Something you have to chew a lot! You will feel like you are eating more than you are. Or if you are odd like me eat raw spinach leaves one at a time ! Love them and they take up almost nothing of your calories! :) I have also taken up crochet, the time flies so fast as I enjoy it and can listen to TV, music at the same time and not get bored. Good luck xx