Anyone weaning off of brain medications (anti-depressants, mood stabilizers, etc.)?

Options
2»

Replies

• clhobbs09
    clhobbs09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I stopped cold turkey taking citalopram 40 mg. it's been rough but I've been determined. I feel that my body will not respond to losing weight while I am on them. It's been almost two weeks and I can tell a huge difference in my appetite. I don't crave food like I used to. When I eat I'm good and not thinking about a cupcake or fried chicken within 10 minutes. I've always been told by my doctor that although meds work you have to do some work as well. So I'm waiting to see if I can actually control what I've allowed medication to control for years.

Best of luck for everyone. My advice is to pay attention to your body/moods no one knows you better than you!!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    How long have you been on them? I have been on antidepressants (ssni) for 12 years and three pregnancies/breastfeeding.

My medications are mostly mood stabilizers rather than antidepressants. I've been on them for ... jeez... maybe only 4 years. It took a long time to find the right mix. My doctor mentioned that an SSRI may be ok for pregnancy, but unfortunately those aren't really what I need. (Congrats on three pregnancies!)

I was supposed to be put on mood stabilizers I think (lithium?) for anxiety/depression but didn't. Was also recommended for me to try anti-psychotics for off-label use for anxiety. I ask just because of the difficulties with my own trials of going off. I've seen two neurologists that say I might not get off this med due to such severe withdrawal (I don't recommend Effexor BTW if someone is trying them). I know from previous trials to get off (I couldn't do it, too many side effects) I had almost "rebound" issues that apparently is common for going off of meds (worse symptoms before better). Scary if happens during pregnancy. You know yourself best and only do what you are comfortable doing/gut feeling about :)
  • bbontheb
    Options
    Are you stopping your medication under the supervision of a mental health professional, preferably a real psychiatrist? They are trained in the use of psychiatric medication and can supervise the transition and respond to issues that come up. It is dangerous to do this on your own.

Yep, I have a great psychiatrist and a good family doctor. We're doing the weaning nice and slow. :)

That's good to know. My BF is a psychiatrist and generally freaks out when he hears of people just on their own going off their meds.

I hear this all too often.
  • bbontheb
    Options
    clhobbs09 wrote: »
    I stopped cold turkey taking citalopram 40 mg. it's been rough but I've been determined. I feel that my body will not respond to losing weight while I am on them. It's been almost two weeks and I can tell a huge difference in my appetite. I don't crave food like I used to. When I eat I'm good and not thinking about a cupcake or fried chicken within 10 minutes. I've always been told by my doctor that although meds work you have to do some work as well. So I'm waiting to see if I can actually control what I've allowed medication to control for years.

Best of luck for everyone. My advice is to pay attention to your body/moods no one knows you better than you!!

I don't recommend this nor recommend sharing the cold turkey part. It's very bad advice as other people might think "hey, h/she did it..." You can have SEVERE reactions to cold turkey cutting off meds. Psychosis can occur in some meds...do not go off cold turkey. Ever.
  • btinghutch
    btinghutch Posts: 26 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    In the past, if I was weening properly off of a med, exercise was necessary! ;) There was a few times unfortunately when insurance or dr's made my meds lapse and I had excruciating withdrawals. During these days or weeks, I was an absolute mess and couldn't fathom working out.
    But during a controlled weening process, sweating the BEST thing possible! sweat those toxins (and toxic thoughts) out!
  • GretchenAlvarado
    GretchenAlvarado Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was taking a medication ( don't remember the name) that was making me gain 10 pounds a month. Told my Dr to take me off. Then I lost 16 pounds!!!!! Ask your Dr if your meds make u gain weight. I'm still on Zoloft for depression
  • jbelfiore18
    jbelfiore18 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did this a few years ago. Stay strong, sometimes it's tough. For me the hardest part was acknowledging how I felt. I had to learn to talk about things that were bothering me. But exercising is GREAT. It releases all the same endorphins and then some to make you happy. Ever hear of a runner's high? Best feeling ever! Good luck, and stay proud! You deserve this!
  • clhobbs09
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    clhobbs09 wrote: »

I don't recommend this nor recommend sharing the cold turkey part. It's very bad advice as other people might think "hey, h/she did it..." You can have SEVERE reactions to cold turkey cutting off meds. Psychosis can occur in some meds...do not go off cold turkey. Ever.

I'm being honest and feel I can choose to share whatever part of my experience that I'm open to sharing. I'm not a medical professional and it's not right for everyone. Nor is it right for you to speak on what I should and shouldn't share in my response. If you don't recommend it then that's for you and I'm not sure in my post where I recommended it to anyone but shared what I'm doing FOR ME!!! The question ws asked and I answered honestly. Whatever is best for you and your doctor is what you should so. At the end of my statement I said my advice is to pay attention to your body/moods. My advice was not to go cold turkey for anyone.

Thanks!
  • bbontheb
    Options
    It's not just for me. It's being considerate of people that read it that might be impressionable. Any medical professional will tell you to never ever go cold turkey off meds. It's irresponsible to share it and recommend. People sometimes do not make such informed decisions and go by internet-advice.
  • clhobbs09
    Options
    For someone who has been dealing with mental health all of their life I'm well aware of what honesty can do for people. I do not come to these forums to condemn, argue or attempt to influence. With that said I will remove myself and move on. I'm not in anyway irresponsible. But what I am is honest and secure within who I am and would never attempt to influence anyone else to do anything otherwise. You never know what a medical professional may be telling someone else, that's just based on maybe your own experiences. Not all medications are the same and some are better to just stop than others depending on the circumstances. Don't always "assume" what you think you may know about a person and their true intentions just by a few words in a forum. Again I wasn't giving "internet advice" I was speaking on my own experience. And I assume you know all medical professionals based on your comments bc all are not the same. Sorry to impose on the OP intention of getting support by being charged at by what seems a person who is hell bent on proving me wrong. Please know there is not right or wrong as things are different for everyone. Please step off your high horse and just allow people to be who they are just as I'm sure you would want the same in return.
    Again, good luck OP and all others on your journey. If I offended anyone else it was not my intention. I will take my experience elsewhere where I feel I can be open without being attacked.
  • someturtlefan
    someturtlefan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Whenever I hear someone going off of meds for pregnancy, I think about this woman: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/magazine/the-secret-sadness-of-pregnancy-with-depression.html

Mary Guest was pregnant and decided no meds was best for her baby. She got very depressed and jumped out a window during her 6th month. That harms the baby more than Prozac ever will, to be pithy.

The effects of antidepressants on your baby are less than the effects of a depressed, non-functional mother on her baby. You want to be there fully for your child. You don't want to give him/her anything less. If your meds help you, please use them!!
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    To the OP (hi starlet) not currently weaning but when I was, I wished I had exercise in my recovery kit. I now exercise every day, be it pole, weights, cardio, walking/hiking and use exercise, the more intense and vigorous the better, to lift my flat mood and deliver happy hormones to my body. I might go to pole training feeling down, but will leave feeling up (unless I've had a session that sucked but that's a different thing).
    Can go into it in more detail on PM if you want.