Discouraging

Options
Ive been doing so well since January and I've lost 37 pounds so far and wearing smaller sizes and been so encouraged. Except tonight I try my swimsuit on and I don't see one iota of difference from wearing it last year. Usually I can just look at things positively but this is so discouraging. I work out 6 times a week for an hour each time high intensity aerobics but seriously what does it take. Sorry for the pity party and I know I've come a long way but guess I needed to vent. Thx.

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I had to lose over 40 pounds before I moved from one size to the next so I can understand your frustration! Do you have a picture of you in the suit from last year that you could compare to a new picture from today? That may make it easier to see the changes in your body. Congratulations on your weight loss that is a fantastic job!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I once read that cardio and eating well will make you a smaller version of yourself and that it's actually strength training and eating well that will change your body's shape. Maybe try adding in weights if you're not doing any already. I love the changes that are coming with my weight lifting.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »
    I had to lose over 40 pounds before I moved from one size to the next so I can understand your frustration! Do you have a picture of you in the suit from last year that you could compare to a new picture from today? That may make it easier to see the changes in your body. Congratulations on your weight loss that is a fantastic job!

I agree. Have a look at a before picture from the same suit. I'm sure you'll see a difference.

I also agree with the lifting, of course because it's my thing. But it's true. Save LBM, look hot.
  • iamfat1967
    iamfat1967 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You all had great ideas and I do use weights but maybe need to add some more to my routine. And I am very grateful for just getting this far and determined to keep going thanks to support like this!
  • rbee2015
    rbee2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Distinctly beautiful is right...cut back on that high intensity aerobics (by half at least!) darlin' and start lifting some weights, then you will see some changes :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »

Agree with the recommendations above for lifting weights, or any type of strength training.

But I also agree with this post I quoted. 37 lbs down (awesome!!) would have to show a difference. Pictures are a good way to see progress.
  • iamfat1967
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This site has truly been a blessing. ☺️
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    8 years ago I lost 42lbs. I had the exact same shape at 150lbs that I did at 192lbs. I knew I was smaller because I was wearing smaller cloths. Hell I was making those smaller cloths but in the mirror the only thing that had changed was the shape of my face. I choose not to be frustrated about it. I was lighter and healthier that was all that mattered. So I don't expect that I will look any different this time I loose the weight but I will be so happy to get back into those cloths I made.
  • iamfat1967
    Options
    That is true and thanks for putting into perspective!!!!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way, I am smaller but the same shape. Once I looked at a before picture compared to now, then I could really see the difference. It's hard to notice without comparing, other people will see it but we are always so critical of ourselves. I agree with trying more weights too. I did cardio the first time I lost and I was thin but had no muscle definition, this time I'm more concerned with building muscle and looking leaner and less concerned with the number on the scale
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You will always been hard on yourself. The best thing to do is take pics of your progress. Thr camera doesn't lie! Keep up the good work! Feel free to add me.