Night shift nurse with a 60 pound weight gain

Options
Hey! I am a nurse attempting to battle the bulge. After starting night shift, I found my gaining weight at a rapid pace. I finally started to get it together by signing up for a personal trainer and tracking my calories. I am looking for some support and would love to make some new MFP pals!

Replies

• Hakers344
    Hakers344 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar position, have sent u a friend request hun
  • GemeliaFP
    GemeliaFP Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm a student nurse on placement, and I too am putting on lots of weight! Feel free to add me
  • millwallmason
    millwallmason Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Night shifts are the worst really really mucks up my eating habits when on nights feel free to add me anyone, am new on here and could do with the support on my quest to get in shape...
  • AliEmoXxOo
    AliEmoXxOo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a night shifter too! Feel free to add me :)
  • darkrhavyn
    darkrhavyn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a night shift ICUer as well. It's definitely a struggle to eat , sleep and exercise normally. Please feel free to add me as well.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'm a psych RN and I'm actually at work right now. :)
  • monica929
    monica929 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Switching between night and days makes it so hard. I constantly give up exercise for a chance to sleep!
  • Shonda_gurl84
    Shonda_gurl84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a night shift RN too!! Looking for buddies to help each other with weight loss. Add me
  • Happysteph20152016
    Happysteph20152016 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a night shift nurse with 125 pounds to lose. Please friend me!
  • wendy75_512
    wendy75_512 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also work night shift. Feel free to add me.
  • Mountain_Biker
    Mountain_Biker Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I worked the mid shift for 2 years and put on nearly 30 pounds, I'm working day shift now and trying to get my routine back.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I work in IT and for 7.5 years I worked on a 5pm-5am shift, to add to the difficulty I also broke my back during that time and ballooned up to near 250. There are things you can do to help, plan and prep your meals ahead of time, make them proper portions, have healthy snack options available. Walk as much as possible, instead of calling another department, if possible walk over to them, and take the stairs whenever possible.
    Even while I was still wearing my back brace I took the stairs occasionally, not something my Dr. was happy with but if he had his way I would still only be walking. He didn’t want me ever lifting or running again, but I am. Despite a few other setbacks, I am down to 190ish and lead a rather active lifestyle.
    You can do it, it may not be easy but put your mind to it and you will be successful.
    V/r,
    DW
  • LilannB
    LilannB Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I used to work night shift and gained a lot of weight. A meal during my shift as well as a meal before and sometimes a meal after right before I went to bed. Also a lot of fast food as that was easier then cooking at home.

I watched an episode of extreme weight loss featuring a nurse. During the episode the nurse started a weight loss group with other nurses.They lost weight together while she was on the show. I've read that weight gain is an issue with much of the nursing profession.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I think everyone puts on weight working 3rds. I started to as a police officer and just like all the service professions, you get into physical modes every now and then, but the norm is being inactive. I bagged all my meals and made sure I worked out before and after every shift and put myself on a strict routine that allowed me to train and de-stress. Formed a group with a bunch of others on 3rds - firemen, paramedics, medical team - and we trained together and kept it going.