DISABLED DIET & CALORIE COUNTS

Options
I have a problem and would like some advice please especially from those, like me, who are disabled.

I am wondering if my calorie count is too high. All I can manage, on a good day, is to 'burn' 200 cals.

My MFP food intake is fixed at 1700 cals/day to achieve a 1lb/wk loss. Interestingly, I am also running alongside MFP, the UK's BOOTSDIET.com system and for identical parameters my calorie intake is at 2200cals/day. In the 2 weeks I have been with the Boots plan I lost no weight. Neither have I consumed the level of calories specified.

For me, and maybe for other wheelchair users, as we can't burn the average persons level, I now sense that my food intake calories should be less because of my unique situation.

I wonder if both diet plans are designed for 'Mr Average' meaning that we crocked up folk need a different assessment and approach for food intake. Also the type of food that we consume, I believe should be different as our MOTABILISM is reduced for the most part. More fibre, reduced fat. less proteins etc.

Grateful for any comments on my observations.

Thanks Mike

ps - I shall also address this problem to Boots and will share with you their comments.

Replies

• jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    This is so incredibly specific that I'm going to bump it back up the boards until the right person sees it!

Wish I could help, would be interested to see what people come back with! Good luck with it all xx
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Wishing you all the best on your weight loss journey - and not using being in a chair as an excuse.

I have no doubt that your basal calorie burn will be different, it's just a case of working out how different.

I think you're right to address your question to Boots, but I would play with some trial and error yourself here. I doubt there will be a generic calorie burn scale out there for wheelchair users due to the vast differences in how much time is spent in the chair, and how much mobility you have.

EDIT: ps someone linked a page of wheelchair exercises on a thread the other day, wonder if anyone can point you too it.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    They are definately tailored to Mr or Mrs Average unfortunately, I've been having the same problem, from you calorie burn tho, 1700 does seem kind of high, but depends a lot on how much you have to lose, mine's at 1450 but have quite a bit to lose. It won't hurt to mix it up a bit, but don't go overboard. While I'm thinking about it, I have some resistance cords I got from Amazon, not sure of the calorie burn but they give a good work out and are good for strength and stretches. They come with a door strap for tailor made exercises as well. Don't forget to have a good stretch so the lactic acid doesn't build up as well :)
  • wheelieblade
    Options
    my friend used to powerlift for GB will ask her advice as she said I need more carbs than she does as I'm more mobile will let you know what she says
  • wheelieblade
    Options
    as for less protein, not sure I agree as like me you use a self propelled chair and need to have strength in your ams and shoulders, to wheel yourself effectively :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep this site is all based on the average, non-disabled, adult unfortunately. Your TDEE will be different. If you want to know with any accuracy, I'd recommend asking your PCP about where to go and have an indirect calorimetry test done, that should give you a very accurate representation of your resting metabolic rate, from which we could gleen your active metabolic rate or TDEE (maintenance calories).

I'd suggest a body bugg or bodyfit media device, but I know those work partially on movement, which may not be accurate for you as you're in a wheelchair (and as such your arm movements would be out of proportion to your total body movement, which might skew results).
  • wheelieblade
    Options
    Not sure if we can get bodybugg here in uk will have a look.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Not sure if we can get bodybugg here in uk will have a look.

try the Ki Fit, it's the UK version.
  • wheelieblade
    Options
    thanks will have a look.

just had a look and due to needing to pay for a subscription it's not going to be viable for me, will cost far too much
  • MikeyGB
    MikeyGB Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Everyone who responded to my topic.

Many thanks for all your replies and helpful advice. I need to take it all on board but there is one thing for sure that I fall into a 'different' category and need to tread the middle way I feel. I have sort of concluded that 1500cals intake is about right for me and my food needs to be leaning towards a GI diet without the pulses and beans as they upset my digestion. As far as exercise is concerned, I am not going to be fanactical about it as I can only do I can do. My intention is to get into a gym to keep my upper body toned but I have got to crack the walking first.

I will report on my progress and those who are interested in this, please talk to me.

Bye for now - Mike x
  • KitKat1390
    Options
    I would love to know what you find out. I am also in a wheelchair. I was born with very little muscle so I can't walk etc. But with my lack of muscle I'm guessing I burn less calories than average even at rest. I'd love to know what you find out because right now I'm eating between 500-700 calories a day. I want to know if that is too much or too little..
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have had difficulty working out my calories too. I'm in powerchair most of time but do get involuntary movement from my condition, so was wondering if it would be about the same as 'fidgeting' all day? It also takes me more effort to do simple things, but these are for very short spells a day ie transfer, walk a few steps with someone holding me up, speaking even.

Despite that I find it difficult to work up a sweat with actual exercise routines as my co-ordination is affected I can't do anything aerobic that involves fast movement. I have a passive trainer bike which pedals my legs for me, but it has a fixed max speed and I couldn't pedal at same intensity as a non-disabled person on a regular exercise bike.

I've tried more calories and not lost, and tried reducing them, lost initially (5-7lbs) then get stuck again. I put my stats in the BMR thing and get 1,371 but again that maybe for an average person of my weight and height? It's frustrating!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Getting my wife to eat anything at all is a challenge i have to face daily. I must have made her hundreds of different thing over the last 3 years, and not one of them did she like. The best i get is "Meh, its not very nice".

Any wonder I'm getting jaded...
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    While I'm not a wheelchair user, I would think that the calorie counts would be designed for those who walk. So I would think that maybe you would need less, since you are not walking around. I wonder if you search around the web if there may be a site that is directed towards nutrition for the handicapped.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    Does anybody know how many calories I'd burn from pushing myself around a shopping centre for about 4 hours?

I'm hoping to go xmas shopping beginning of Nov and have an afternoon out with a friend, she usually carries the shopping and I'd like to propel myself as I relaise i could burn some serious calories! .. we usually shop for about 2 hours.. have a break and do another 2 before coming home. With travel too its about 6 hour trip and usually takes me a couple of days to recover from.
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    Just saw this thread. I'm not sure if posting links to other discussion boards are allowed so I will post in entirety. If you want to know the site PM me and I will give it to you. I am a disability advisor to the government here in Ontario so I will help out if I can if you have any other questions. Below uses the Harris Benedict Equation.

First you need determine your BMR. Here is a link to a calculator: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Since you are in a chair, you are more than likely going to be using factor #1 or #2. This will give you a good estimate of how many calories you need to maintain your weight. If you are trying to lose weight, take this amount and subtract 500 calories from it.

Hope this helps.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    ok so if my BMR is 1371 and I'm sedentary it would be 1,645-500= 1,145???

if I work out for Lightly active I get 1,390 and MFP gives me 1210 for Lightly active and 1200 for sedentary?.. shouldn't the numbers match?
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    ok so if my BMR is 1371 and I'm sedentary it would be 1,645-500= 1,145???

if I work out for Lightly active I get 1,390 and MFP gives me 1210 for Lightly active and 1200 for sedentary?.. shouldn't the numbers match?

There are different equations that estimate BMR

Mifflin - St Jeor equation, Harris Benedict equation which all guess based on general factors. I use what I find works for me which is what I posted. The Harris Benedict equation will under estimate calories for very muscular persons and over estimate for persons who have large amounts of fat. It is all about finding what works for you.
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm having a similar problem working out what's right for me. I have had both legs amputated and have some paralysis in my lower body so that screws up any calculations straight away, strictly speaking I don't have a height I can put in there! I use a wheelchair full time and am reasonably active day to day but my job is sedentary so I recorded my activity as sedentary and then add stuff as exercise. I play wheelchair basketball and swim, occasionally push around the shops or local park etc. For MFP purposes I "guestimated" my height as about 4'5" and put in my actual weight which is about 112lbs currently. MFP tells me that to maintain I only need 1200, but it won't give me a number to lose weight that's any lower because apparently I would then immediately starve! I'm also worried about things like potassium and calcium, if I'm only eating about 1000 cals then I can't see how to get enough of the micronutrients other than taking a huge number of supplements, but then as I'm only quite small, do I need that much anyway? It's a minefield!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'd like to make one point. I am not wheelchair bound, but I have had many orthopedic surgeries and have been temporarily confined to a wheelchair several times. I have to say, using only your arms to propel yourself is very hard work. You are likely burning more calories than you think pushing yourself around in the wheelchair.