Dish for a Potluck

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
Scenario: I am going to a 4th of July pig roast (known around here as a spänferkel) and need to bring a dish to pass. No appetizers because there will be plenty left over from the appetizer/drink party the night before.

Difficulty: it needs to be something that can be prepared almost 2 days ahead and doesn't require actual refrigeration, but I will have a cooler with ice so keeping it cool but not cold won't be a problem. Part of me wants to make a dessert bar (very tasty Kit Kat bars which are rich and salty-sweet) but part of me thinks I should bring some kind of salad-y type side dish so I have something lower calorie to eat, depending on what everyone else brings. I will have some prep time Friday morning, then we are heading up for the day and will stay in a hotel Friday night. The rest of the time we will be with a big group (40 people or so) at a friend's lakeside home. The spänferkel is Saturday evening. The entire weekend is BYO except the spänferkel which is why I will have a cooler with me (for the rest of my food and drink).

Does anybody have an idea for a good side dish that fits my needs? It can easily be something I can prep ahead of time and dress just before serving. It can also be something so simple it really doesn't need much prepping. I have some, but they either need to be refrigerated or will break down too much.

Replies

• kgmcgee
    kgmcgee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What about a pasta salad that's mostly veggies with a low cal dressing? You could prep everything in baggies ahead of time and just mix together right before. Veggies are fine in a cooler and I would think the cooked pasta would be too.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you ask.on the recipe forum people will have ideas for you.
  • kgmcgee
    kgmcgee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Spinach salad...spinach, strawberries, pecans, feta and light raspberry vinaigrette. Yummy and easy to throw together.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'd go with a salad, but make it grain and/or bean based rather than greens because the greens have more of a tendancy to wilt. Pasta, rice, quinoa, farro, bulgar, and/or canned beans plus some chopped crunchy vegetables and a vinaigrette dressing (no mayo, which could go bad) should hold up nicely and be delicious.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Maybe if you ask.on the recipe forum people will have ideas for you.

oops, I thought I did. Need moar coffee!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would take a pineapple, a few kiwi, and a few oranges, a sharp knife, and a bowl. Those fruits can easily go unrefrigerated for a couple of days. The morning of the potluck, cut them all up and throw them in the bowl and, voila, fruit salad.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    If you cook pasta or rice to use cold in a salad, please cool it very quickly and thoroughly before storing it. Both are major culprits in food-borne illnesses.

My suggestion would a bean salad that you can put together the day of, with canned beans, fresh herbs and a delicious vinaigrette.
  • NOrefX
    NOrefX Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mango Salad. That's What I am taking this weekend to our Family get together. You can even cut back on the sugar.
    Always good after a couple of days.
    http://www.canadianliving.com/food/green_mango_salad.php
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Watermelon salad.
    There are a ton of variations of this.. but I use - watermelon, mint, feta, lime juice, drizzle of olive oil, and some pepper.
    Such a delicious and refreshing salad. All can be prepared the day of and the only thing you'll need to keep cool is the feta which I'm sure would do fine in your cooler!
    Have a great weekend, and good luck with your side dish! :smiley:
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    This salad is great, decently healthy, and holds up to a day or two in a cooler.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/quinoa-tabbouleh-395939
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Maybe a bean or corn based salad. Something that uses can beans with a few fresh veggies and a light dressing.

3 or 4 BEAN SALAD
    (OR AS MANY DARN BEANS AS YOU LIKE!!)

3 15 ounce cans GREEN GIANT THREE BEAN SALAD drained (I use one can each green, wax, kidney beans)
    1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas), drained and rinsed
    1 cup apple cider or red wine vinegar
    ½ red onion, chopped (or more, depends on size of onion)(you can also use a plain yellow onion if you don't have red)
    ¾ cup Splenda
    ½ cup canola oil or vegetable oil
    2 garlic gloves minced, or squeezed in press
    1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
    ½ tsp. Cajun seasoning salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 Tbs. or up to ¼ cup minced flat-leaf parsley (fresh)

In a large bowl, combine the beans and the onion. In a small saucepan, stir the Splenda, vinegar, oil, garlic and salt together and then bring to a simmer. Pour the hot liquid over the beans. Season with salt, pepper and parsley. Marinate the beans at room temperature for 1 hour, tossing several times. Refrigerate. Serve cold or at room temp. This lasts a long time in refrigerator.

It makes about 12 to 14 - 1/2 cup servings
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Caprese salad. You can put it all together or just prep your basil, tomato, and bocconcini separately and throw it all together with salt, pepper, and oil (which they probably have at the lake house).
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas! I think I will do some kind of a bean salad. It looks yummy and meets my criteria.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Try a rice, corn and black bean salad. About 3 parts rice to 1 part beans and corn. Add some cilantro, lime juice and oil. Very attractive and easy to throw together.
  • 123sockmonkey123
    123sockmonkey123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bean salad:
    2 cans each light & dark kidney beans
    Small box cherry tomatoes (halved)
    1 red onion
    1 or 2 cucumbers peeled
    2 red apples
    2 cans unsweet/unsalted corn
    Olive oil to coat
    Lemon juice
    Salt & pepper
    Cumin! As much as you like. The longer it sits together, the better it tastes.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad, grain salad, pasta salad are all good options