Headaches and Workouts

Options
I have a big problem when it comes to headaches. (I have one creaping up right now) If I take my medicine in time (I hate having to take medicine all the time), it usually dulls it down enough for me to be functionable. But many times I just wind up laying down with a pillow over my head.

My problem is my headaches worsen when I try to work out. I try to push past it for as long as I can, but it just starts throbbing and I feel like I'm either going to throw up or pass out. The only way I'm going to burn any of these calories off is if I can get my heart rate up, but it's making my headaches worse. Is there any middle ground for me???

Any help or suggestions would be great!!!

Replies

• ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Migraine? Or standard headaches?
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    What type of medicine do you take? If it is over the counter pain relief you could be suffering from re bound headaches.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You should start by figuring out how/why you get so many headaches to begin with. I used to get a lot until I started going to a chiropractor. Worked wonders for me. Maybe talk to your doctor.

Also, during a migraine or bad headache, its really good to get electrolytes in...so smart water or gatorade.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I would say it's time to see a doctor. If it is a migraine and you are taking rx meds you need to discuss this with your doctor and if it is a daily headache I agree with the others that you may be having rebound headaches and the only way to stop those is to stop taking all medicines, but you should see a doctor to make sure nothing more serious is going on because daily headaches that are keeping you from normal activities are in no way normal or acceptable.
  • mcqlove87
    mcqlove87 Posts: 59
    Options
    I think they're migraines, and I take excedrin tension headache to dull them, and excedrin migraine if it's really bad, but it puts me to sleep.

I love the chiropractor, but I don't have time to go like I wish I did. Maybe I'll have to make time. And thanks for the electrolyte tip, I didn't know that!
  • Sarahdangerfox
    Options
    Definitely talk to a doctor if this is a recurring issue- it could be symptomatic of a serious condition, or it could be totally treatable. What medication are you taking for it?

I used to get headaches when I worked out, and I realized it was because I wasn't drinking enough water before my exercise. Now, I try to get down two full bottles (four glasses) of water before I hit the gym, hydrate well afterwards and I'm perfectly fine.
  • mcqlove87
    Options
    I thought about the rebound thing too. But I haven't taken any medicine for over a week, until today.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I have a big problem when it comes to headaches. (I have one creaping up right now) If I take my medicine in time (I hate having to take medicine all the time), it usually dulls it down enough for me to be functionable. But many times I just wind up laying down with a pillow over my head.

My problem is my headaches worsen when I try to work out. I try to push past it for as long as I can, but it just starts throbbing and I feel like I'm either going to throw up or pass out. The only way I'm going to burn any of these calories off is if I can get my heart rate up, but it's making my headaches worse. Is there any middle ground for me???

Any help or suggestions would be great!!!

Make sure you are drinking enough water. Exercising can help alleviate the headaches just during your workout but once it's over it will be back. I was getting a lot of headaches because I was dehydrated so I made it a point to drink Powerade Zero now for the past week I haven't suffered with one. Mind you mine never went away after pills or sleep. Do you have sinus issues?? I once had a migraine for 10 days straight after an MRI my sinuses were the culprit. Good luck
  • Nich0le
    Options
    I can't stress enough that you should pay a visit to your doctor.
  • mcqlove87
    Options
    I can't stress enough that you should pay a visit to your doctor.

If it doesn't get any better, I will def go to the doctor. But I'm still paying for the last visit with my stomach that they found nothing wrong with, and am still having issues with.
  • jesse14472
    jesse14472 Posts: 161
    Options
    I was getting headaches too. Then I read a post that said to make sure you are not holding your breath. The next time I worked out, I focused on my breathing and......NO HEADACHE!
  • Nich0le
    Options
    I had horrible sinus problems and migraines which can go hand in hand and after many doctors visits and allergy testing and antibiotics and steroids I finally went to the bookstore and started reading about headaches and found that there are medicines and foods that can cause rebound headaches, after a lot of trial and error I finally have control of the issues that once plagued me. While I recommend seeing a doctor to rule out anything serious I can tell you being your own advocate and detective can prove worthy of your time.

The main reason I stress seeing the doctor is in my case they couldn't figure anything out but in my sons case they found a spot in his brain that they monitor for changes and although all is well right now it is better safe than sorry :wink: