My body doesnt want to do a squat

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    My physiotherapist got me to do my squats with weight plates under my heels. This in turn taught me to push from my heels. I'd suggest going to see a physio and ask them to help teach you

^^^ This (especially the part about seeing a physiotherapist) one other trick that may help with form is to hold a medicine ball at chest height and "push" it away from you as you squat (keeping your arms parallel to the floor)

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If you have a dumbbell or kettlebell, hold it out in front of you and use it as a counter weight. Once you have reached the deepest you can get, drop the weight.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    It's because your core and stabilizer muscles are not strong enough to support the movement pattern. It's a very common problem among adults. The way I have taught people to correct it is to simply get into the proper squat position without weight. Use a broomstick or something like it to simulate a bar, and simply get down into the position every day. You'll end up coming up on your toes or falling on your butt the first few times but after a while you'll be able to get down in the proper position.

Rigger
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Pretend like your using a port a potty and squat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    How do you poop if you can't squat?
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Try squatting with your back against a wall for support until you have mastered the correct movement. It seems like this may be a balance related issue as many people try to use the balls of their feet during a squat, which is wrong. Your weight and balance should be focused in your heels for a proper squat, but many new to squatting feel they will fall over backward using this form. This is why the wall will help you to practice.