Can anyone critique my squat form?

Options
click the thumbnail and the video should play.

https://youtu.be/d7b5QHhiGlI

Replies

• Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're creating a bounce at the bottom of the squat in order to come out of the hole. Pause work should be more strict- squat down into the hole, pause, stand up. You're creating momentum to help yourself out, which minimizes the benefits of pause work in the first place.

I also noticed that your depth is a little off as well. On some reps, it looked like you're just above parallel and on others, your bounce actually drops your depth to a proper level- this is evident on your last set.

How much are you warming up? I typically do anywhere from 4-6 warm up sets, adding weight for each set. For pause work, I typically pause longer with lighter weight and will decrease the amount of pause for each set, typically going from 3-4 seconds down to a full second, which is what I shoot for on my working sets.

That being said, the rest of your form looks good. You have a strong arch with your upper body, your knees aren't tracking past your toes and you should be able to hit proper depth with some more work.
  • rmitchell239
    rmitchell239 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Pretty good form there. You do bounce a little at the bottom of your squats. Do you often find yourself on your toes? It's a little difficult to see from the video. I'd also lower the catch bars because you hit them one time and that saps your energy badly.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    All good points, you're also not thrusting your hips forward near the top, and your posture slouches at the top hold which tells me you're probably not engaging your glutes.

Rigger
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I would definitely eliminate the bounce and agree with rmitchell, step back from the rack so you're not above the catch bars.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Mayor_West wrote: »
    It looks like you're creating a bounce at the bottom of the squat in order to come out of the hole. Pause work should be more strict- squat down into the hole, pause, stand up. You're creating momentum to help yourself out, which minimizes the benefits of pause work in the first place.

I also noticed that your depth is a little off as well. On some reps, it looked like you're just above parallel and on others, your bounce actually drops your depth to a proper level- this is evident on your last set.

How much are you warming up? I typically do anywhere from 4-6 warm up sets, adding weight for each set. For pause work, I typically pause longer with lighter weight and will decrease the amount of pause for each set, typically going from 3-4 seconds down to a full second, which is what I shoot for on my working sets.

That being said, the rest of your form looks good. You have a strong arch with your upper body, your knees aren't tracking past your toes and you should be able to hit proper depth with some more work.

Basically all of this. You just need a little better depth and no artificial stretch reflex. Probably will have to drop the weights slightly but that's life.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Your form and depth look good to me...but I'm not one of those ATG below parallel guys. As others have said, the bounce doesn't equate to a pause.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Those are not pause squats OP. You still are using momentum.

Also video aofweight that can only be done 3-5 reps so we can see where form breaks down.