Ab Workouts

Options
So I have a question....what are some good Ab exercises that will work the lower abs? I do sit ups, I do crunches daily. They all touch my mid to upper abs but I can never feel the burn in my lower abs. I need to find something. I had a surgery years ago and it seems that until I lose more weight that I have that little pooch there but I want to work that area and get it gone. As I continue to lose weight I know this will help but I want to get the muscles toned up and looking fit as I am losing. Any suggestions?

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction is not really a thing. Genetics determine where we put on weight and where we lose it from. The only way to reduce that area will be to reduce your over all body fat percentage. That said, there are potentially hundreds of ab exercises. Have you tried reverse crunches? Leg lifts? Scissor kicks? Just to name a few.
  • Sarah_Kendrick2017
    Sarah_Kendrick2017 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do sit ups and crunches daily. I guess I am just wanting to see results quicker. After I posted this I did read where it's all about genetics. I see it in my face, neck and arms. Although I am sure I am losing inches all over these are the more prominent places.
    I am assuming that eventually it will begin to move to other areas. I mean one can't lose weight in just one spot the entire time. Eventually the fat has to come off from other places.
    Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I am doing this without a trainer so I try to find out what I can through reading and watching others. I'm doing something right because I've lost 16 lbs. in 6 weeks.
  • divvyh
    divvyh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think you should add in some planks. http://www.mensfitness.com/weight-loss/burn-fat-fast/how-to-do-a-plank-a-single-move-for-stronger-abs

Do side planks too once you can hold for 30 seconds.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Nothing got my abs as defined as pullups, deadlifts and squats. (And a deficit combined with patience at some points to lose body fat-that would be #1)

I had nice, flat abs when I was low body fat, running, working abs daily and doing circuits with no HEAVY lifting-but I had a completely different (better, IMO) look once I switched to lifting-with very little direct ab work.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Nothing got my abs as defined as pullups, deadlifts and squats. (And a deficit combined with patience at some points to lose body fat-that would be #1)

I had nice, flat abs when I was low body fat, running, working abs daily and doing circuits with no HEAVY lifting-but I had a completely different (better, IMO) look once I switched to lifting-with very little direct ab work.

^agree 100%. . The best results I've had are from heavy compound lifts. Totally reshaped my body.
  • Sarah_Kendrick2017
    Sarah_Kendrick2017 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ok so are y'all saying more weight less reps? I do about 3 sets of 10 now on anything I do. I of course work the machines and not free weights. I really try and push myself but maybe I need to switch to the free weights.

Yes, someone else today mentioned holding plank. They said to build up. If you can only do 15 then tomorrow do 20 and then 30 and so on. I will have to try the suggestions. Thanks everyone. I am just ready to lose this mid-section fluff. I mean come on and move to another location already.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Awesome that you lift. Free weights are fantastic and use stability muscles that machines don't require you to use. The machines do the stabilizing for you. If you choose a progressive program with compound lifts you will work your entire body very effectively. Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting, Starting Strength are all good programs. They're heavy lifts with few reps.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Leg raises.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    cardio will help you see those muscles as it will remove the overall layer of fat covering your body