Exercises for lower abs and obliques

Options
blue443
blue443 Posts: 61 Member
i need to really focus on my lower abs and obliques. I've done everything from core ball exercises to suspended leg raises. What are some that really work?

Replies

• jojo28012
    jojo28012 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    YouTube has a vast amount of videos that can help you with those troublesome areas. Do a search.
  • blue443
    Options
    I'll check them out. Seems like improvements on my lower abs have been slow.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I like the hanging leg raises and side crunches (Swiss ball, extension...). But my favorites for those areas are probably rotation moves (medicine ball, band, cable...).
  • blue443
    Options
    Haven't tried hanging leg raises yet. That should be a good one. What do you do with the medicine ball and band?
  • rileyes
    Options
    And battle ropes! I tried those once--best workout--My next purchase.
  • rileyes
    Options
    http://youtu.be/4OarfZqbQVM
    Basically this with medicine ball, cable or band.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    blue443 wrote: »
    I'll check them out. Seems like improvements on my lower abs have been slow.

Do you mean improvements in shrinking the fat there? Ab exercises won't do much for that. Google "spot reduction myth" for an explanation.
  • rileyes
    Options
    And Landmines!
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    1) at cable machine, attach ankle attachment, pick weight (I do 20lbs) go into plank position and touch weighted leg's knee to bicep. 2) On TRX get feet into straps, go into a plank, up into a pike, back to plank up to a split leg pike. All those movements are 1 rep when complete. 3) Using T-bar rotate bar from left to right in an arc. 4) Ab wheel work 5) V-ups
  • blue443
    Options
    Thanks for the insight. I'll try those.
  • blue443
    Options
    Cherimoose, just not seeing the development I want. I think I have hit the proverbial plateau and need something different. I will google your advice though.
  • blue443
    Options
    Rileyes, I've heard the battle ropes are really good. I'll speak with the gym where I workout to see if they can purchase some. If not, I'll buy some.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    patience . is patience an exercise? no. but it's what you need to be doing.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose fat in those areas or are you trying to build muscle and strengthen the abs and obliques?

If your goal is to lose the fat in those areas exercises are not going to do it.
  • zuzi_
    zuzi_ Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    mine most favourite for obligues are russian twists (legs in air, alternatively straightening them) and side plank, pushing hips down, or rotatin from one side to another..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose, just not seeing the development I want. I think I have hit the proverbial plateau and need something different. I will google your advice though.

you are not going to spot reduce lower belly fat..

I would suggest weighted russian twists, weighted side bends, decline weighted leg crunches, hanging leg raises, etc….

• blue443
    Options
    I'm looking to strengthen my core. My upper aba are developing well. I'm a high school football official, and have preparing for the season the past couple of months. Want to be in the best shape possible. The season does get long.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    1) at cable machine, attach ankle attachment, pick weight (I do 20lbs) go into plank position and touch weighted leg's knee to bicep. 2) On TRX get feet into straps, go into a plank, up into a pike, back to plank up to a split leg pike. All those movements are 1 rep when complete. 3) Using T-bar rotate bar from left to right in an arc. 4) Ab wheel work 5) V-ups

I like this one. Been throwing it into my abs rotation once a week lately.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose, just not seeing the development I want.

The abdominal muscles are thin and don't bulk up much for most people, especially in a calorie deficit. If you've been working your abs for a while, they're probably at or close to maximum size. Reducing the fat layer will make them appear bigger, but as was stated, that's not going to happen from ab exercises.

As far as being a football official, i would think that's more about overall conditioning and cardio stamina rather than brute abdominal strength. Unless you take a lot of punches to the gut? B)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to strengthen my core. My upper aba are developing well. I'm a high school football official, and have preparing for the season the past couple of months. Want to be in the best shape possible. The season does get long.

running is going to do more for you than ab work me thinks.