Hummus sabra

jessedcg
jessedcg Posts: 304 Member
I wanted to know how healthy Sabra spicy hummus was..
I been eating with with bell peppers and turkey meat from walmart..
any suggestions?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    What do you mean? If you like it, eat it. It has nutrients in it, sure. But it's also calorie dense and should be weighed on a food scale to be sure it fits into your deficit.
  • alyfrancis582
    alyfrancis582 Posts: 38 Member
    I think it depends on what your version of "healthy" is. What are your goals? Does eating hummus help or hurt you from reaching that goal? I've personally cut hummus out of my daily diet, except for treats from time to time, because it's super calorie dense. Same with granola. Most people would say granola is healthy, but it's also super caloric. It's all about balance and trying to achieve your own specific goals!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I think it depends on what your version of "healthy" is. What are your goals? Does eating hummus help or hurt you from reaching that goal? I've personally cut hummus out of my daily diet, except for treats from time to time, because it's super calorie dense. Same with granola. Most people would say granola is healthy, but it's also super caloric. It's all about balance and trying to achieve your own specific goals!

I don't consider 60 calories a tablespoon super caloric. Tons of fiber and other great nutrients.
  • arditarose

Ditto. I tend not to eat hummus or granola. Too calorie dense for my preferences.
  • arditarose

I don't consider 60 calories a tablespoon super caloric. Tons of fiber and other great nutrients.

Personal preference. For me 60 calories of hummus does not go very far. I'd prefer something else.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    I boycott that brand, but Aldi's is only 50 calories per 28g. The problem with hummus is that it's too easy to end up with 85 grams on your vegetables when you only budgeted for one tablespoon.
  • syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member
    That spicy hummus is awesome! I think it is pretty healthy overall. Fiber. Healthy fats.A bit of protein. It is calorie dense because of that fats. Fats increase satiety, but it is pretty high in calories. Make sure you measure it. I use one serving on my sandwiches. I use it instead of mayo or the like. Its healthier imho, and its got nice kick. Chicken, hummus, lettuce, tomato, onion is a nice sandwich.
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    jessedcg wrote: »
    any suggestions?

always read your labels. rule of thumb is if you cannot pronounce or you dont know what it is then you should stay away from it. I have actually found that the only real clean hummus is the Joseph's brand if you can find that. Deli meat is ok as long as you look for the natural nitrate free when you can. I think Applegate and even Hormel may put some brands out. But always best to just eat chicken breast or turkey breast.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    any suggestions?

always read your labels. rule of thumb is if you cannot pronounce or you dont know what it is then you should stay away from it. I have actually found that the only real clean hummus is the Joseph's brand if you can find that. Deli meat is ok as long as you look for the natural nitrate free when you can. I think Applegate and even Hormel may put some brands out. But always best to just eat chicken breast or turkey breast.

Listen to everything on this thread but this.

Hummus is yummy, but I have poor self control so I skip it
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    How do you define healthy? Sabra uses soybean oil instead of the traditional extra virgin olive oil, so if soy or GMO is something you are concerned about, you might want to choose another brand. It also has preservatives and added flavors, if that is something you are concerned about.

But, I think most people would consider Sabra hummus healthy. Beans, seeds, vegetable oil. Yummy!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    I would add that making your own hummus is super easy and SO much cheaper. It takes like 2 minutes to make if you used canned beans.
  • syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member
    any suggestions?

Your rule of thumb must come from the Food Babe. She has to be the most mistaken, misinformed, and scientifically illiterate blogger (with mass appeal) in the world.

Natural doesn't mean healthy or even good for you. Words you cannot pronounce just mean you need to learn more, and have nothing to do with their effect on health.

Just look at the scary, hard to pronounce ingredients of bananas, blueberries, or eggs. What's next, we have to stop drinking our 8 glasses of dihydrogen monoxide a day?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Its calorie dense, so I eat it as a meal, or as a sandwich spread. Not as a snack. Its pretty much in peanut butter territory for me.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    I eat and make my own hummus (hardcore style, starting with dried beans). Many of the store bought brands doesn't have Tahini. As I recall from a "Good Eats" episode, Tahini complements the proteins in Chickpeas to make Hummus a complete source of protein.

Real hummus has Tahini:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIybz6axr1Q
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    I eat and make my own hummus (hardcore style, starting with dried beans).
    I used to do this, I prefer the taste of home made hummus. Eventually I grew tired of removing the skins and went back to buying prepackaged hummus.

• Need2Exerc1se
    I eat and make my own hummus (hardcore style, starting with dried beans). Many of the store bought brands doesn't have Tahini. As I recall from a "Good Eats" episode, Tahini complements the proteins in Chickpeas to make Hummus a complete source of protein.

Sabra has tahini. It is the second ingredient after chickpeas.

• bcruz313
    bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member

I need to try this. I prefer homemade hummus too but I've never actually made it. You can taste the difference, for example, from a restaurant or deli when it is homemade. I hadn't noticed not all store bought brands have tahini though. I prefer Pita Pals brand to Sabra. Sabra to me taste too commercialized or packaged. Just my personal taste buds.

To OP, do pay attention to the nutrition facts. Moderation is good. I count hummus the same as avocado - as a fat. I use it as a dipper for my veggies and sometimes crackers or pita chips, but I measure out always because I have no doubt if I sat down to watch a movie I could eat half the container!

• jessedcg
    jessedcg Posts: 304 Member
    Thank you all for your suggestions.
    I was concerned with the amount of sodium and fats...
    I am concentrating on eating clean
    Lots of veggies, fruits, and lean meats.
  • Nuke_64
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    I eat and make my own hummus (hardcore style, starting with dried beans).
    Eventually I grew tired of removing the skins and went back to buying prepackaged hummus.

I don't remove the skins, never even thought of doing it. I would think it would reduce the amount of fiber.

This is the recipe my hummus is based on. This one uses canned beans. I use hot sesame oil instead of hot chili oil. Hard to find buy makes all the difference.

http://www.food.com/recipe/simple-spicy-hummus-189116
  • Nuke_64
    edited June 2015
    OP: Compare my recipe to the Sabra nutritional information on their Supremely Spicy http://sabra.com/products/Supremely-Spicy-Hummus

The homemade is 207.5 calories for 100 grams while the Sabra is 250 per 100 grams. Also, hummus should be made with olive oil not soybean and I think is better for you.

ETA: For Reference, Jiff Creamy Peanut Butter is 594 calories per 100 grams.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Thank you all for your suggestions.
    I was concerned with the amount of sodium and fats...
    I am concentrating on eating clean
    Lots of veggies, fruits, and lean meats.

Hummus is a high fat food, but if you make your own you can significantly reduce the fat and/or sodium, if you want. Less fat does = less calories but it does affect taste. I make mine with less fat than most recipes call for, but when eating it as a dip I often drizzle evoo over the top for taste.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    I like to make my own hummus, but I've also tried Sabra and it's not that bad. The spicy has a nice kick
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    I LOVE the 2GO packs with the garlic hummus.