How do other working mom's do it...find time?

Hello, my name is Jess. I'm looking for other working mom's so we can motivate each other. I'm struggling over here and I really want to lose around 15 lbs. by Sept./Oct. I have a 9 year old and a 5 month old. My husband helps out a lot at home, and I still find myself struggling to find time to exercise. MOM'S LET HELP EACH OTHER OUT!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    With a baby that small, I would think it would be difficult. I'm not saying impossible but I know that I was still getting up in the middle of the night when my daughter was 5 months so you likely have the added issue of lack of sleep. She is 8 yo now though so I can exercise while she does something else and I can easily get up early in the morning to exercise before she's up. What really helps, though, is to take a few minutes each Sunday to see what's on the agenda for the week and then plan my exercise around it. If my husband is off on Friday, that means I can go to the gym that morning before work. If my daughter has dance on Wednesday, I know that's 30 minutes when I can take a walk. Finding bits and pieces of time here and there and planning ahead to take advantage of those bits and pieces is really key to fitting in exercise.
  • jess_9981
    jess_9981 Posts: 42 Member
    My daily schedule(M-F)

4:30 a.m. - 5:00 a.m. Feed baby
    5:00 a.m. - 5:30 a.m. Get hubby's lunch ready(heat up,coffee,etc.)
    5:30 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. Shower, get last min. things ready(try to do the day before), get dressed, etc.
    7:00 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. - Drop kids off with sitter
    8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. - While I'm at work, I try to do lil walks. I walk up/down stairs for 10 mins. during lunch break, or take a walk....only got 30 mins. I can't always be away from my desk, so I wait til lunch.
    4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. - Pick up kids
    5:50 p.m. - 6:50 p.m. - Swimming lessons - will finish soon
    6:50 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. - Head home
    7:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. - Cook, eat, bath lil one, clean, etc.
    8:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. - Put kids to sleep
    9:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. - Try to get last min. stuff ready for next day
    10:00 p.m. - 4:30 a.m. - Try to get some sleep

• jess_9981
    jemhh wrote: »
    With a baby that small, I would think it would be difficult. I'm not saying impossible but I know that I was still getting up in the middle of the night when my daughter was 5 months so you likely have the added issue of lack of sleep. She is 8 yo now though so I can exercise while she does something else and I can easily get up early in the morning to exercise before she's up. What really helps, though, is to take a few minutes each Sunday to see what's on the agenda for the week and then plan my exercise around it. If my husband is off on Friday, that means I can go to the gym that morning before work. If my daughter has dance on Wednesday, I know that's 30 minutes when I can take a walk. Finding bits and pieces of time here and there and planning ahead to take advantage of those bits and pieces is really key to fitting in exercise.

Thank you so much......yes, I need to find bits and pieces of time!

Yes, she was sleeping through the night, but lately she's been waking up at 1:00 and 3:00 a.m.

I feel a lil over whelmed with my son being in swimming lessons too, but I decided I'm going to take a 2-4 week break(He's in his 2nd session, ends next week) before he starts his 3rd one. I guess I could ask if I could push the stroller around the pool......LOL! Wonder if they allow me to? I should be able to squeeze in some work outs then.

• erinp523
    erinp523 Posts: 50 Member
    Its definitely tough! I have a daughter and I work full time. I usually can't get more than 30min in. I do workout videos. We are usually home by 6. I prepare meals ahead of time on the weekends so we heat up left overs during the week which is quick. I usually workout from 7-730 and my husband works out from 730-8 and we switch off watching out daughter. Its working but there are weeks where I Amy only work out once or twice. If there is not a lot of time to exercise then make sure you are counting your calories. You can still lose the weight!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    Why is it taking an hour to get the kids into bed? Especially if that doesn't include bath time for the baby?

What are your husband's working hours and what is he doing during the evenings?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    When I had little kids, I took classes and night and did dvds at home. I also had a bike. Later I went to the gym during my lunch break. Now they're bigger and I'm used to getting up early so I go in the mornings.
  • jess_9981
    jemhh wrote: »
    Why is it taking an hour to get the kids into bed? Especially if that doesn't include bath time for the baby?

What are your husband's working hours and what is he doing during the evenings?

It takes an hour bc thats when I feed the baby(10-15), burp(another 15), etc., then im on my sons butt to have him shower and other stuff. My husband's hours vary.....he always help when he can.
  • jess_9981
    erinp523 wrote: »
    Its definitely tough! I have a daughter and I work full time. I usually can't get more than 30min in. I do workout videos. We are usually home by 6. I prepare meals ahead of time on the weekends so we heat up left overs during the week which is quick. I usually workout from 7-730 and my husband works out from 730-8 and we switch off watching out daughter. Its working but there are weeks where I Amy only work out once or twice. If there is not a lot of time to exercise then make sure you are counting your calories. You can still lose the weight!

I guess we need to start preparing ouf meals ahead of time. We usually cook enough to take left overs(pack at night) and pull out meat for next day. But really preparinv on Sunday, is a good idea. Thank u!
  • Uniqlove
    Uniqlove Posts: 13 Member
    A colleague of mine said she finds time when she can. She knows she wants to get it done each day so she figures it out and goes with the flow. She has three kids (2, 5, 8). She does Piyo at home whenever she can fit it in.

I have a one yr old. I really don't want to wake up earlier then I already have to. I started to make some freezer meals/crock pot meals to make dinner go by faster. So just this week, I started walking with my LO after work. So far it seems to work.

Also, there are tons of 10 minute workout videos on youtube that you can use and try to do 3 a day at various times.

I'm still trying to figure out which resource will work best with my schedule and personality. There are also other folks that rely on the babysitter at their local gym too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    jess_9981 wrote: »
    Hello, my name is Jess. I'm looking for other working mom's so we can motivate each other. I'm struggling over here and I really want to lose around 15 lbs. by Sept./Oct. I have a 9 year old and a 5 month old. My husband helps out a lot at home, and I still find myself struggling to find time to exercise. MOM'S LET HELP EACH OTHER OUT!

keep in mind that weight management is largely about your diet, not what exercise you are doing. exercise is great for fitness and your overall health and well being and you should try to get it in when you can...but losing weight, maintaining weight, and even gaining weight (that is some people's goal) happens in the kitchen.

I cycle about 80 miles per week and lift weights a few nights per week and do a bit of hiking and swimming. I've lost weight doing all this stuff, maintained weight doing all this stuff, and deliberately gained weight doing all of this stuff...the difference between the three weight management goals wasn't the exercise, it was my diet.

keep your diet in check first and foremost and exercise where you can...diet for weight management, fitness for the sake of fitness.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I've got a 6 year old, 4 year old and 13 month old. I've been back at work since April and I'm finding it much harder now. We can take a year for maternity leave in England, which is great. My husband does shift work so it was easy to fit my gym sessions round that while I wasn't at work.

I work 3 days a week. I get to work before 8, and on a Mon I leave around 3:30 (I'm a teacher) but Tues and Wed we have meetings after work so I'm stuck there until 5. On my husband's early shift week it's fine as he collects our eldest from school, and I collect our daughters from nursery after work, then I can exercise later on. I usually do a circuits class at 7:30pm on a Wed. On my days off it's no problem as I wait until hubby is home, or I use the gym crèche.

When hubby is on late shift I usually do a PT session at my gym on a Mon at 4pm. It's a rush though as I rush from work, then after PT I collect my son from after school club, then go to nursery for my daughters. Then when we're home I have to get dinner, bath them, do bedtime etc. Tues and Wed I can't exercise at all as I have to collect my kids by 6pm. Thurs and Fri are my days off so I exercise in the mornings.

The hardest thing is my eating. While I was on maternity leave it was so easy, but if I'm not home until 5:45pm and I'm on my own with 3 kids I don't have much time, so I usually resort to quick cook pasta or even ready meals, which I used to hate. I also have to try to remember to prepare something healthy for work the next day.

We finish for the Summer holidays on July 22nd and I can't wait :). This is when I love being a teacher lol.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I work 10~12hr days 6days a week, come home and cook, clean and go to the gym. So it can be done. You just need to prioritize.
    Ser yourself up with a routine, like get up thirty mins early each day or go to bed thirty mins later in order to make time for yourself. You could even find a gym with childcare so you can bring the kids with you. I brought my son until he was 10yrs old every day .
  • AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    I have a little boy who's getting ready to turn 3. I get up early to work out before I shower and get ready for work (around 5:00 a.m.). My son didn't consistently sleep through the night until he was about 14 months old, so my workouts were very sporadic before that point. Now I try to get up at least 4 days a week to work out for 25 minutes (T25 is great for me). While at work, I try to go up to the third floor to use the restroom, walk around the office, etc.

It feels like I never really have enough time for everything, so I've been trying to prepare or cook meals on the weekends that can be re-heated during the week. That's a big time saver for us.
  • powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    Do you have a gym near your place of work? I just go during my lunch. It is the only way I can fit it into my day.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    I have a 4-year old and 18-month old. I go to the gym when they're in bed or get up and go before everyone wakes up. For me, it's about making it a priority. That said, I think it's harder when you have an infant. In those days, I think it's just trying to get in walks with the stroller and sneaking in 10 minutes here and there. And don't forget that your diet is way more influential in terms of losing weight. Good luck!
  • jess_9981
    Thank you so much. I try to sneak in what i can at work...since it's hard for me at home........
    I have a 4-year old and 18-month old. I go to the gym when they're in bed or get up and go before everyone wakes up. For me, it's about making it a priority. That said, I think it's harder when you have an infant. In those days, I think it's just trying to get in walks with the stroller and sneaking in 10 minutes here and there. And don't forget that your diet is way more influential in terms of losing weight. Good luck!

• jess_9981
    Good morning.....yes I have one by both. I only get 30 mins for lunch and it's not possible. The one by my house opens at 8........i gotta be at work by 8. I'm going to start planning some gym time soon. This is the last week to my son's 2nd Session of swimming lessons. I'm taking a break before he starts his 3rd. Kids before me......need to make time for me.

Do you have a gym near your place of work? I just go during my lunch. It is the only way I can fit it into my day.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    my kids grew up in a gym. great environment to live grow learn be healthy
  • jess_9981
    I do little stuff at work too......park farther, take the longer way to go to another office, etc. But I want to work out, work out......SWEAT! I'm gonna get it, I just need a lil more time to get it together. But I'm going to!
    AnitaCRice wrote: »
    I have a little boy who's getting ready to turn 3. I get up early to work out before I shower and get ready for work (around 5:00 a.m.). My son didn't consistently sleep through the night until he was about 14 months old, so my workouts were very sporadic before that point. Now I try to get up at least 4 days a week to work out for 25 minutes (T25 is great for me). While at work, I try to go up to the third floor to use the restroom, walk around the office, etc.

It feels like I never really have enough time for everything, so I've been trying to prepare or cook meals on the weekends that can be re-heated during the week. That's a big time saver for us.

• jess_9981
    I know it can be done.....it's just new to me.....having a new baby, etc. Prioritizing is one of the problems.....I need to do that. THanks!

thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I work 10~12hr days 6days a week, come home and cook, clean and go to the gym. So it can be done. You just need to prioritize.
    Ser yourself up with a routine, like get up thirty mins early each day or go to bed thirty mins later in order to make time for yourself. You could even find a gym with childcare so you can bring the kids with you. I brought my son until he was 10yrs old every day .