Just weighed my 450c saladworks salad. WoW!

Options
Deconstructed saladworks salad. Romaine turkey swiss egg white and green goddess dressing. The Web site says 450. Actual calories. 1106. Really not cool

Replies

• popcorn7225
    popcorn7225 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh pasta was on the ingredients list too
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Man, that sucks. I'd be devastated if I wasted 1100 calories on a freaking salad.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I can't say I'm surprised. I imagine most food you get in a restaurant is pretty far from what is on the website.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    How do you get that? The website doesn't even have the salad weight in grams. Serving is 1 Salad.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    How do you get that? The website doesn't even have the salad weight in grams. Serving is 1 Salad.

I'm wondering the exact same thing. I love Saladworks and really want to see how big their margin of error is for the two salads I typically get (Autumn Harvest and Chicken Caesar).
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I am actually surprised most chain restaurants it pretty accurate, the profit margin is so slim that they really cannot afford to be going way over like that. I have a mad greens near me, and they weigh every item they put in your salad to ensure it matches what their menu states.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Dressing. It is the dressings that up the calorie count on salads. Stick to mostly vegetables, some lean protein and some reasonable amount of dressing or use cottage cheese as a dressing. I've done that for years. Dressing + protein = WIN. Watch the toppings and you are good to go. So many folks think .. "oh, it's a salad" and choose that instead of a burger. Burgers can be a better choice if your salad comes loaded up with 100s of cals of dressing and other non-veg ingredients. Saw a woman munching on a salad at Zaxby's yesterday. 3 packets of dressing and oiled & grilled Texas Toast. She actually asked me what I was doing when she saw me dump my side salad onto a plate and top it with 5 chicken tenders then drizzled 1/3 of a package of dressing on it. I told her: Making a Salad. She said: I didn't know you could do that - I just buy them already made. Me: I like to control my ingredients. MORE CHICKEN. Less dressing. Zero oily bread.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Deconstructed saladworks salad. Romaine turkey swiss egg white and green goddess dressing. The Web site says 450. Actual calories. 1106. Really not cool

So your salad weighed 1106 grams? Grams of food doesn't mean calories of food.

32 grams of peanut butter is 200 calories.
    100 grams of lettuce is 15 calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

She weighed the ingredients separately I'm guessing.

It's one of the reasons I hate eating out, lol.
  • LolBroScience
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I still can't see that coming out to over 1,100 calories. Even if you double everything it's under 900.

http://www.saladworks.com/salad/create-your-own-salad
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I still can't see that coming out to over 1,100 calories. Even if you double everything it's under 900.

Well there was pasta, and that adds up, but I guess OP might have confused cooked and dry weight for pasta.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Based on the topic line, it sounds like she is talking calories not grams.
  • LolBroScience
    edited June 2015
    Options

Well there was pasta, and that adds up, but I guess OP might have confused cooked and dry weight for pasta.

Possibly, can't tell because the diary is locked. If you triple the pasta serving per the website it is still only 650 cals. Pasta serving is 100 cals.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

It sounds like she is attempting to talk about calories and not grams, except the math doesn't seem to quite work out since we're missing a bunch of info.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

It sounds like she is attempting to talk about calories and not grams, except the math doesn't seem to quite work out since we're missing a bunch of info.

• popcorn7225
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sorry I was really busy and couldn't reply

I ordered the salad deconstructed and weighted each ingredient. I did this at work and didn't bring the figures home with me so I'll have to estimate what they were.

4.5 oz romaine iceburg mix
    65g swiss cheese
    55 g turkey
    86g green goddess dressing (this is the amount in one small container)
    45g egg white
    115 g cooked Radiatorre pasta

According to their site that would total 442. In my calculations just the pasta alone would be 400 c.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I thought it was too good to be true so I decided to look into it. 1100 does sound high BUT 442 sounds way off.

Help me out here.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The pasta you weighed was cooked. It looks to me like the numbers you are using is for uncooked. Cooked pasta is heavier.

If I were guesstimating, the lettuce, cheese, turkey, and egg whites would be 300-325 cals.
    According to the USDA, there is 221 cals in 140 g of cooked pasta, so your pasta was @ 180 cals. so you are @ 500 calories without the dressing.

86 grams of dressing is like 6 tablespoons! Most bottled dressings list the serving size as 28 g. There website lists the serving size as 1 oz = 28 gr = 150 cals. So if you used all 86 grams (3 servings), that's @ 450 cals of dressing.
  • popcorn7225
    Options
    That sounds more accurate is just funny how different the reported calories are from the actual calories. 450 to 950 is a big difference. They list the dressing at 1 container 150cal. Clearly 1 container is not 1oz. My entire office was counting on the Web site being accurate I knew it sounded and tasted to good to be true.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    4.5 oz romaine iceburg mix -> negligible
    65g swiss cheese -> 245 (380 * .65)
    55 g turkey -> 55
    86g green goddess dressing (this is the amount in one small container) -> 367 (427 * .86)
    45g egg white -> 25
    115 g cooked Radiatorre pasta -> 170

So...245+55+367+25+170 -> 862

OP's original number is a bit high, but OP is still closer than the label!

That is a ****load more calories than claimed...not cool...