exercise on bad days?

Options
tenkides
tenkides Posts: 151 Member
What exercises would be good to do when you don't feel good? Also what exercises are good for hot weather and no swimming pool? Please and thank you.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    don't feel good? like sick? If I'm sick, I rest and get better...use common sense; you don't have to workout every single day all of the time. rest is important, especially if you're sick.
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It depends on why I don't feel good. If I am sick I will rest. But if I just feel "blah" and don't want to move I will go for a walk and that usually helps. As far as when it's hot that also depends. If it's a walk/run day I try to go early to beat the heat. Otherwise I'm in my works gym doing weights.
  • tenkides
    Options
    Most of the days I don't feel good is the days that I have a headache and I am usally sore from the day before.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    tenkides wrote: »
    Most of the days I don't feel good is the days that I have a headache and I am usally sore from the day before.

do you take scheduled rest days? are you eating enough to support your activity? are you hydrated?
  • tenkides
    Options
    My rest days alternate from Saturday to Sunday. Yes i am eating enough. Im not sure about the drinking enough. I posted another question about how much water i should be drinking earlier.
  • cwolfman13
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My rest days alternate from Saturday to Sunday. Yes i am eating enough. Im not sure about the drinking enough. I posted another question about how much water i should be drinking earlier.

Urine-chart.jpg

the headaches may very well be a symptom of dehydration. otherwise, if you're having headaches regularly, you should see a doctor because it's not normal to have frequent headaches.
  • tenkides
    Options
    Ok thanks. It probably is because my pee is nowhere near the correct color.
  • tenkides
    Options
    Can a bad sunburn affect how much water is in your system?
  • cwolfman13
    edited June 2015
    Options

in and of itself, no...a sunburn itself won't cause dehydration...being out in the heat and sweating, etc without consuming enough fluids causes dehydration. Sunburns can cause a host of other issues though, including headache.

Maybe just start with trying to get the recommended 8x 8 ounce glasses of water daily...this is a pretty general recommendation, but it's a reasonably good starting point. Personally, that's nowhere near enough for me as I live in the desert at elevation and I'm very active...I drink anywhere from a gallon to two gallons per day depending on what I'm doing.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Just exercise as normal when it's hot. I live in London in the UK, it is very warm and humid in summer (despite popular misconceptions about UK weather, some parts are warm in summer!), air conditioning isn't a thing in homes here and I workout at home. It's an adjustment as it warms up but I just get on with it with extra water. You can also workout when you are sore (as long as it's not injury), in fact I did just that today!
  • tenkides
    Options
    Ok thanks. Should I go easy on the days that I'm sore or should I be doing something different on those days and can i work those Musles ?
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    @tenkides , I'm a bit concerned about your normal headaches, too. Being sore the day after exercise is normal. Headaches (at least, on a regular basis) are not. Sounds like hydration is a good place for you to start.

Exercise . . . I live is a cold, wet climate. So, when it gets hot, I like to relish it . . . push myself to get out there and FEEL the sun for half an hour or so while I run. (Then curl up in the air conditioning with a glass of cold *something*) If it's too hot to be outside for half an hour, though, you probably should do as others say . . . schedule early in the day, or just skip the day, if it's a one-day thing.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I don't know if or how this might effect the water "availability" in your system, but last summer, I spent an entire day out in a parking lot festival with NO SUN SCREEN (I'm a grown woman of mostly Scandinavian descent and I should know better). I was expecting more tents to sit in for shade, but they were all packed. I got pretty badly sunburned and my face and eyes were puffy first thing in the morning for a week after (not inflamed. Just puffy). The doctor said it was fluid shift. A lot of the water in your system is tied up in the healing process. The rest of your body could be dehydrated while your skin is freaking out and wondering WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?
  • tenkides
    Options
    Ok that's probably part of whats going on. Does anyone know what are some good exercises to do when you're sore?
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ok that's probably part of whats going on. Does anyone know what are some good exercises to do when you're sore?

When I'm sore I get up and take a little walk. Even if just to the office coffee pot. It's sitting still that makes the soreness worse.
  • tenkides
    Options
    Ok thanks
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Do light exercise, walk maybe yoga, stretches, pilate, bit of foam rolling or you know you could just rest.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Or just do your regularly scheduled workout? Pretty much everyone experiences muscle soreness and pretty much everyone just gets going as normal. Unless it's very severe or you're a serious body builder who splits up various bits of their body to work on different days then you'll barely notice it after you've warmed up.

And water water water!