Birth Control

Options
I just recently started birth control pills and was wondering if I should adjust anything (food,activity, etc) because of this? Thanks!

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    You might find that your appetite is increased but there is no reason to make any adjustments to your diet (noun) or exercise.
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've been researching this. Just prepare to be very hungry. I gained 20 lbs my first yr on BC because I was eating like a freakin mad man. It had nothing to do with the pills. Try to keep your appetite in check by drinking lots of water. But no, no adjustments needed, BC doesn't make you gain weight, over eating does.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Wait to see how it's going to affect you personally, then make any adjustments. I didn't have any real side effects while on the pill except for clearer skin, so I just continued on with life like normal without any adjustments (except remembering to take the darn thing every day). :)
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    It made me super moody. I bet I was eating more too but that was back in the days before I started tracking. I eventually got sick of all the hormone bc pills and IUDs turning me into bitchzilla and just got the esure thing done.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Just eat a calorie deficit and exercise. I've been on pill, the patch and now have a IUD and none of those caused me to gain weight.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Don't be surprised if you see a minor (usually temporary) weight gain. Especially on higher doses of estrogen-- eating estrogen can cause bloat.
  • jennlaw89
    jennlaw89 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this question bc I'm starting bc this Sunday and have been freaking out thinking I'll gain weight because of it. Thanks so much!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I haven't gained weight as a result of mine.
  • Kathy379
    Kathy379 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have gained weight since starting mine. Very bloated. :(
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I didn't gain anything on bc pills and don't remember an increase in hunger.
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Estrogen upregulates growth in certain tissues (among a million other effects) and can cause weight gain in some women.
  • tiffanyfoundit
    tiffanyfoundit Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    When I was being completely inactive on the pill when I had just got on it I think I did gain some weight but I also was eating terribly and the first couple of months made me sick so I don't think that is a super accurate measure.
    Once I started eating better and exercising its been great and I've been losing weight super consistently. Way more than I did when I was off of it.