Is there like an asthmatics to 5k or something that starts easier?

Options
I love apps for working out as I'm a very systematic person. I love myfitnesspal for food and strong lifts for weight training, so I wanted to try one for running. I do not run. I have never run. I am asthmatic and I had it as a child, so I think I may be stuck with it. I cannot start from nothing and jog for 60 seconds without my lungs feeling on fire, so is there an app or website like couch to 5k that starts out even easier (the best I've done is short bursts for like 50 feet). I don't mind if it takes longer. I'm in all of this for life so I have time.

Replies

• Busymissbridge
    Busymissbridge Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in that too
  • Soapytime
    Soapytime Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was running outside using c25k last fall and made it through. It was great! I had never been able to run like that in my life. I had childhood asthma, but I think I grew out of mine. It's been 20 years since I had any issues. I have been out of shape for several years though so running for any length of time felt very out of my reach. Still completed the 8 weeks. I unfortunately let my self lapse when winter set in. I am back to being out of shape and I just got into week 2 of zombies 5k. It starts off much slower with only a few 15 second runs. Also, they emphasize running VERY slowly.

Also, my "run" speed isn't much faster than my walking speed. Remember to take it slow and if you need to repeat weeks or individual workouts before moving on to the next one, do it!
  • effervescence1
    effervescence1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I, too, have asthma since I was a kid and running is the only thing that really bothers it. I don't love to run, but I've gotten to the point where I can run up to 2.25 miles at a time doing other things like crossfit, dance and drum corps. I am slower than a lot of walkers but I don't stop moving. Good luck!!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor and all the other disclaimers, of course, but Zombies, Run 5k Training App starts you off with 15 second running intervals the first week and builds from there. Unlike C25K, they also have some other exercises mixed in (squats, calf raises, skipping, etc.), and a 5-10 minute "free form" run where you walk or run in whatever intervals you prefer. And... there's zombies. ;)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sixtostart.zombies5k&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zombies-run!-5k-training/id566596422?mt=8
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    You should be able to to Use the normal C25k programs all you need to do is go slower. If it takes you doing it at a fast walking pace in the jogging sections the first time over it'll be great progress from where you are now.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Feel free to modify the 60 seconds into 30 walk 30 jog.

Also- think more about jogging than running- most people make the mistake of running WAY to fast when they start- so think **jog** not run and that may need to help.

just take your time- there is literally no first place prize for getting better at doing it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    zoomtech16 wrote: »
    I cannot start from nothing and jog for 60 seconds without my lungs feeling on fire, so is there an app or website like couch to 5k that starts out even easier

If you can walk for 30 minutes then you can do C25K, it strikes me that the most likely issue is that you're trying to run too quickly. Slow down until you can complete the running itnervals, and if you need to use a preventive inhaler then do so before going out.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have asthma too, and I have way more breathing issues while running outside than inside.
    Perhaps try the first couple of weeks on a treadmill before running outside.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Slow down. For the run sections, do whatever you CAN do for 60 seconds. And maybe that's not a run . . . maybe it just means walking a little faster. For the walk sections, slow it back down.

My wife has Muscular Dystrophy. When I started my C25K many months ago, she decided she wanted to do it, too. She spent a lot of her time in a wheelchair. Couldn't walk through the grocery store. We got her a FitBit . . . she was at much less than 1000 steps a day. After consulting her doctors (yes, plural), and hearing from them all that exercise wouldn't hurt, but that, because of her MD, it likely wouldn't help, either, she got to it. She started on a recumbent stationary bicycle - put it on ZERO resistance and peddled for the 60 second run sections and stopped and rested during the walk sections. W1D1 absolutely EXHAUSTED her. Now, several months later, she rides that stationary bicycle 18 miles a day. And when she doesn't ride it, she gets 10,000 steps a day. She can now do things like go grocery shopping. Her doctors are seeming to have trouble even UNDERSTANDING the progress she's made (Muscular Dystrophy is only supposed to get WORSE over time . . . never BETTER) So, you see, no matter where you are - even if you have to start at a modified activity level - the C25K program CAN work miracles.
  • Busymissbridge
    Busymissbridge Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try the zombie thing
  • pznatti
    pznatti Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I also have asthma and did the c25k but made sure I used my rescue inhaler 15 before each run/walk. Maybe chat with your doc because your asthma may not be under control if they burn that fast or maybe doing a preemptive inhaler dose will help you.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Another asthmatic here who now can run almost 15k. I had a base in cardio before I started running, but...

I use a steroidal inhaler and my regular inhaler before I run. If you're using your inhaler prior to running and still having difficulties talk to your doctor.

If I'm going out for a long run, I'll stash my rescue inhaler in my shorts or hydration belt.

That being said, run slowly. Think if I was moving any slower I'd be walking or a snail slowly.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    Slow down. For the run sections, do whatever you CAN do for 60 seconds. And maybe that's not a run . . . maybe it just means walking a little faster. For the walk sections, slow it back down.

My wife has Muscular Dystrophy. When I started my C25K many months ago, she decided she wanted to do it, too. She spent a lot of her time in a wheelchair. Couldn't walk through the grocery store. We got her a FitBit . . . she was at much less than 1000 steps a day. After consulting her doctors (yes, plural), and hearing from them all that exercise wouldn't hurt, but that, because of her MD, it likely wouldn't help, either, she got to it. She started on a recumbent stationary bicycle - put it on ZERO resistance and peddled for the 60 second run sections and stopped and rested during the walk sections. W1D1 absolutely EXHAUSTED her. Now, several months later, she rides that stationary bicycle 18 miles a day. And when she doesn't ride it, she gets 10,000 steps a day. She can now do things like go grocery shopping. Her doctors are seeming to have trouble even UNDERSTANDING the progress she's made (Muscular Dystrophy is only supposed to get WORSE over time . . . never BETTER) So, you see, no matter where you are - even if you have to start at a modified activity level - the C25K program CAN work miracles.

Thanks for sharing this, Dave and give your wife a high five from me, please. Wow, what an accomplishment. She must be a remarkable person. I hope I can use her as an inspiration when I'm feeling like shirking exercise. I take for granted my good health.

Kathy
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

This is effing awesome.

That is all.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am asthmatic. I completed a half marathon and now run on a regular basis. It took work to get there but it's feasible. When I started, I would always do the same 5k run. I started out by walking for 45 secs, then jogging for 15. When I started to feel more comfortable with that, I'd walk for a minute, jog for 30 seconds.. And so on and so on. Now I just jog the whole time if I keep a steady easy pace. If I go for more intensity, I have to walk from time to time. I just respect what my body is telling me, so there is no limit on how often I walk or for how long. I just run until I feel that if I continue, I won't be able to recuperate and my run would be over. Then I walk just enough that I feel good to go - I don't wait for my heart rate to come down, just for the burn in my lungs to go away. I don't know if there are specific programs, but a gradual approach worked well for me. I haven't used my inhaler in years now.
  • amberjo1986
    amberjo1986 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try the zombie thing

The zombie thing works. Am currently on Week 5 of Zombies, Run! 5k. Run SLOW.
  • seachelle76
    seachelle76 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Feel free to modify the 60 seconds into 30 walk 30 jog.

Also- think more about jogging than running- most people make the mistake of running WAY to fast when they start- so think **jog** not run and that may need to help.

just take your time- there is literally no first place prize for getting better at doing it.

I totally agree. There's nothing wrong with going slower. It's what I had to do. It's also how I stuck with it once I did.