Failed so many times but ready to start again.

Options
jumpybeans
jumpybeans Posts: 71 Member
Hi everyone,

I was pretty active on MFP in the past, but have since given up on eating healthy and exercise and placed long work hours and stress in its place. When I get home from work, all I want to do is sit and do nothing. But, pants that were once loose are now tight and uncomfortable and I just can't stop reaching for the beer and sweets! Not to mention, I'm 36 years old and at the point where I'm sure my metabolism will be slowing down.

I'm planning on starting off by drinking lots of water and trying to be more reasonable with my eating habits. I have to be mindful of overeating as well, which I tend to do when I'm stressed.

I guess I'm just looking for some friends who are in the same boat as me!

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Welcome back and just keep logging. All studies show that simple awareness is key.

Nothing wrong with beer and sweets - I include these nearly every day.

Metabolic slow down with aging is one of those broscience myths. Your rate at which this slows down is minuscule.

Think we're all in the same boat with long hours and stress, but you have to take care of yourself first otherwise nothing else is going to matter anyway.
  • ryanknudtson
    ryanknudtson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's tough. I myself am trying to get to my goal weight and eating healthy is hard. I've been planning meals and trying hard not to reach for those chips and beer. Keep it up and keep logging in your meals no matter what you eat and you will start to see a difference. Also exercise is a great stress reliever so even a walk could help.
  • Jane_England
    Jane_England Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello I am in the same position. I used this website before and it works because I lost 25 lbs. But after working, taking care of the kids, excuses, etc. I gained most of it back. Feel free to add me!
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    The reason our medabolic rate can slow with age is because we lose our muscle. The best way to keep that number higher is to weight and resistance train. I know we women have it harder than those boys, but we can do it. Muscles and mascara ladies!!!
  • hollyjohns85
    hollyjohns85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat I took up a supermarket grocery delivery job, spent most of the day sat down in a van, nipping into the garage for sandwiches at lunch and crisps and chocolates. I thought it would do wonders for weight loss with all the heavy lifting not true. I was far too tired when I got home from the lifting to do anything just started a new job and I need to loose a stone as none of my clothes fit any more and I feel awfull. Feel free to add me
  • SRHelm1
    SRHelm1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I'm here trying again for my 10th time or more. I had a baby 1 year ago and I'm nursing him which makes it harder for me. I'm determined not to be unhealthy, big and out of shape forever. I'm tired of being this big. I went to ride rides with my kids over the weekend and I was almost too big. Everyday, every choice counts.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I'd be really surprised if anyone on MFP was successful and stuck with it the first time they tried. Welcome back, keep going!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I'd be really surprised if anyone on MFP was successful and stuck with it the first time they tried. Welcome back, keep going!

Theres actually quite a lot of people for who this was their first real diet and have made it to target. I was surprised. It may be self selecting though i.e those who are successful stick around the forums.

Btw OP failing is a bit dull, so before you go stressing yourself out please take some time to review your previous journeys. Undestand what happened, how you diet and learn from it plus what changes you cna make this time round to give you a better outcome and to make sure you dont slip back.

Blaming metabolism isnt really where its at, what leslie russell (28 is hardly pensioner age)said has a bit to it, but really its more down to people moving less.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    That's a good plan to start with. If you try to be perfect all at once you're bound to get frustrated. I've lost a lot of weight but basically plateaued for the past two years (my fault, I know exactly what I'm doing wrong). However I don't look at it as fAiling, because as long as I don't give up, I'm still in the game.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Hey Jumpy!

I'm different maybe. I think MFP is marginally effective as a decent forum. Too much arguing over diet strategies and bickering. So this App is all about the food log for me.

I have used it for a few months now. I started a year and a half ago by joining a gym and meeting some new people. Talking and making workout friends helped more than any digital interaction.

Getting active for me happens away from a keyboard and although I do enjoy some groups on here, the gym is my place.

I hope you can find how to not repeat the past. Maybe add some integration of fitness into the daily grind with new friends will help you as it helped me.

I needed the new social circle. Now I can't imagine not going to do some activity for a few days!

I carried around an extra 100 plus pounds for over a decade. Changing things up and interacting with people and doing things was what helped me.

Now there is 125 lbs less of me.

Best wishes to you on your journey. I hope this try is your final and successful one!
  • kikilieb3
    kikilieb3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am starting over again as well. I was on MFP for three years and was doing really well, then I had an accident and hurt my leg really badly. Nine months later, I've gained back all the weight I worked SO hard to lose. I am just desperately trying to find that "new" thing that will work for me to get back into shape. I can do most things, but before I was running and bike riding to get in shape. Can't run because of a fracture knee and the bike was demolished by a big jeep!

Well, anyway, I've been trying to get back into it; I was able to start swimming and developed an at-home strenghening routine for myself. Now I just need to also count my calories (that's the hardest part for me).

Could really use some friends and support and I will do my best to support you as well.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »

Theres actually quite a lot of people for who this was their first real diet and have made it to target. I was surprised.quote]

Pfft. Way to deflate my little motivational push there 999tigger :lol:
  • jumpybeans
    jumpybeans Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your support. I appreciate all the thoughtful advice and encouragement!

I agree, a big part of this is figuring out WHY I failed in the past. I blame it on the fact I'm completely burnt out after a day of work and I would rather just sit on the couch when I'm done. It's complete nonsense because I know very well I have ample time first thing in the morning to squeeze in a workout. Besides, this works better for me as I can tend to the errands and things after work.

I went through a stressful period and that's when I found the weight starting to pile on. I was exhausted, deflated, worn down, stressed, etc., and felt incredibly tired even after sleeping for 9 hours. Things slowly started to get better but then I found myself back at square one again.

Right now I'm doing what I can to get back into the swing of things and slowly working my way back into fitness. I'm making a habit of drinking lots of water each day, and making sure to include a good amount of fresh fruits and vegetables as well.
  • usagiannora
    usagiannora Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I am 5'3" and I weigh just under 185 lbs! This is the heaviest I have been in my life. I've gone through so much medically in the past 8 years that I didn't have a choice but to be on bed rest what felt like 24/7. I am ready to get back to working out, getting in to a routine, and starting to live my life again. I don't have a lot of friends on this app/website. So please add me and we can encourage one another.
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! It can be tough to get started again, but you have make a plan that works with your everyday schedule. Be consistent. You got this. Feel free to add me.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Success comes from failing you fail it sucks use that feeling to motivate you to succeed