Wow that's a lot of Calories

Options
tlcAK
tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
So I read this in an article on Women's Health Magazine. I have had a couple of these (Not all of them) once or twice in my past :wink: Now I'm going to think twice before even goin to these places. Holy crap thats a lot of calories that only makes me feel better for a little while. Just wanted to share...

Starbucks Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha with Whipped Cream (venti, 20 fl oz)
660 calories
22 g fat (15 g saturated)
95 g sugars

Starbucks White Hot Chocolate with Whipped Cream (venti, 20 fl oz)
520 calories
16 g fat (11 g saturated)
75 g sugars

Dairy Queen Caramel MooLatte (24 fl oz)
870 calories
24 g fat (19 g saturated, 1 g trans)
112 g sugars

Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream Soda (vanilla ice cream and cola) (large, 28.6 fl oz)
960 calories
40 g fat (25 g saturated, 1.5 g trans)
136 g sugars

McDonald’s Triple Thick Chocolate Shake (large, 32 fl oz)
1,160 calories
27 g fat (16 g saturated, 2 g trans)
168 g sugars

Cold Stone PB&C (Gotta Have It size, 24 fl oz)
2,010 calories
131 g fat (68 g saturated)
153 g sugars

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hmm, the large size and added whipped cream is a killer - but it makes it easy to find acceptable alternatives without saying "I'm never eating anything from Starbucks ever again!"

Small size, no cream, semi or skimmed milk, and you can have a tasty treat for under 200 cals. Again, not something I'd do every day, but once in a while is nice.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    lol, so i was recently out of town visiting a girlfriend & she wanted to grab a star bucks...i cringed...lol I know their calories are unbelievably high. Because it was a weekend treat with a friend, i did have a 600 calorie drink... & then we went paddle boarding for an hour to try & even some of it out. Needless to say i felt guilty all weekend over a drink that wasn't even worth it!! :)
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    You can make alot of these tempting delights right at home. Use skim/soy/almond milk, sugar free flavored syrups, and if you really feel like a treat a fat free whip cream. For about the price of one Venti, you can make several!!!
  • AndreaWard
    AndreaWard Posts: 33
    Options
    Did you here about the fat grams in a large peanut butter malt from dairy queen? 78 g of fat!! Talk about a heart attack in the making!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I bought a Cafe Frappe maker which is basically a coffee maker with a blender below it, I can make my own frappe's for 100 cals and they taste just as good and only cost maybe 25 cents to make
  • mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My triple grande nonfat caramel macchiato is only 190. I don't have it very often anymore but still, if I really want it, I can get in in my calories pretty easily.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    OR if you happen to end up at a Starbucks, you could order a Tall Skinny Vanilla (or Caramel) Latte for 90 cals... or a Tall Misto with nonfat milk for 60 cals! there are almost always alternatives.
  • lifeinpink09
    lifeinpink09 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hence, before ordering ANYTHING I look up the calories on my phone lol
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Over 2k in a 'beverage'? OMG!
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love Starbucks and always ask for it my way venti skinny with just 2 pumps sugar free flavour which is only 168 cals :bigsmile: They have a good phone app which shoes natuation value of foods and you can also make up your own coffee to find out its cals, its great for that weekend treat
  • jane130
    jane130 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The Coldstone PB&C shake always cracks me up. I used to work there, and when they came out with their new way to make milkshakes I just couldn't believe the ingredients they chose. Instead of using milk, the old staple for milkshakes, they use the cream base that is also used to make the ice cream. The cream is 14% butterfat and therefore so is the ice cream. They are made with 6 scoops of ice cream. I will say they do add a little skim milk to balance it out, lol. If you've ever had a milk shake, they go down really fast. People would inhale half of them before they even reached the cash register.

If you were to just go to the grocery store and buy regular (not super premium) ice cream and blend it with low fat or fat free milk it would taste great, and the calories would be more than cut in half. Milkshakes are awesome! but get them the old fashioned way.
  • tlcAK
    Options
    Hence, before ordering ANYTHING I look up the calories on my phone lol

I'm going to have to start doing that more often...it will make me think twice
  • tlcAK
    Options
    The Coldstone PB&C shake always cracks me up. I used to work there, and when they came out with their new way to make milkshakes I just couldn't believe the ingredients they chose. Instead of using milk, the old staple for milkshakes, they use the cream base that is also used to make the ice cream. The cream is 14% butterfat and therefore so is the ice cream. They are made with 6 scoops of ice cream. I will say they do add a little skim milk to balance it out, lol. If you've ever had a milk shake, they go down really fast. People would inhale half of them before they even reached the cash register.

If you were to just go to the grocery store and buy regular (not super premium) ice cream and blend it with low fat or fat free milk it would taste great, and the calories would be more than cut in half. Milkshakes are awesome! but get them the old fashioned way.

That's good to know. My husband loves that drink and I'll take a couple sips but now...I don't think we will be doing that anymore unless we make it ourselves!!!
  • tlcAK
    Options
    Hmm, the large size and added whipped cream is a killer - but it makes it easy to find acceptable alternatives without saying "I'm never eating anything from Starbucks ever again!"

Small size, no cream, semi or skimmed milk, and you can have a tasty treat for under 200 cals. Again, not something I'd do every day, but once in a while is nice.

Now I know a lot of people say its just as good but I can taste a difference...I guess I'm just going to have get use to it....or do a really really good workout!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

Now I know a lot of people say its just as good but I can taste a difference...I guess I'm just going to have get use to it....or do a really really good workout!

I actually think the Skinny Caramel Machiatto with an extra pump of SF vanilla IS just as good as the original. But now, you just can't substitute for their White Mocha. It is soooooo yum, but just crazy calories!
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My triple grande nonfat caramel macchiato is only 190. I don't have it very often anymore but still, if I really want it, I can get in in my calories pretty easily.

My favorite!
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    i almost always get half sweet drinks at starbucks...yes you notice a difference, but their drinks have so much syrup in them that they still have the taste...and some things taste better with less syrup (i.e. white chocolate mocha). no whip cream, even the light whip cream is not worth the calories to me...and make with skim milk! :)
  • wendycheng
    wendycheng Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Steak and Shake milkshakes are terrible. I was drinking a seasonal peppermint milkshake when I decided to look up the calories on my phone. Threw it away.
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    Here's how I replaced my caramel macchiato - a grande coffee in a venti cup with 2 pumps of sugar free caramel syrup. Fill the rest of the way with skim milk and add 2 packs of splenda and 1 pack of sugar. Less than 80 calories, and no fat, but its still warm, sweet and you get that nice caramel flavor. Oh, and its a lot cheaper too. If you pre-load a gift card, syrup is free. So you are basically just paying for a cup of regular coffee. :)
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Here's how I replaced my caramel macchiato - a grande coffee in a venti cup with 2 pumps of sugar free caramel syrup. Fill the rest of the way with skim milk and add 2 packs of splenda and 1 pack of sugar. Less than 80 calories, and no fat, but its still warm, sweet and you get that nice caramel flavor. Oh, and its a lot cheaper too. If you pre-load a gift card, syrup is free. So you are basically just paying for a cup of regular coffee. :)

hey sounds great! I'll have to try that! I USED to drink as many ans THREE venti vanilla lattes a day.....down to one.