Should I take creatine??

Options
jo2907
jo2907 Posts: 69 Member
I'm after some advice please as I am really confused!
I have been considering taking creatine to help improve my work outs but my research on it has left me more confused than ever

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You could. It serves a purpose. It's been well researched, more than almost any other supplement around.

But it's my personal belief that people should worker harder, rest more and lock down the food before they start bothering with supplements. Most people seriously don't need them. . They need more intensity and more rest.
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You could. It serves a purpose. It's been well researched, more than almost any other supplement around.

But it's my personal belief that people should worker harder, rest more and lock down the food before they start bothering with supplements. Most people seriously don't need them. . They need more intensity and more rest.

This^^^ they wont hurt really...just research what kind you want.....
  • cfp1981
    cfp1981 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Yes. This.
  • gainthatmuscle
    gainthatmuscle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree with jorocka
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout? Creating is good for weightlifting, not so good for running.
  • kwiet_storm
    kwiet_storm Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Too much creatine can give you kidney stones, plus if you did get creatine monohydrate. If you do take creatine then make sure to drink plenty of water, and I mean plenty. You would also put bit of weight, well its mostly water since your muscle will store water which will give you bit of strenght, fullness of the muscle.
  • jo2907
    Options
    Thanks all, I think my post hasn't uploaded correctly as all I can see is the first bit which doesn't give you any info on me
    So I'm 5'4 currently weigh between 143-147lbs.
    Currently on 1250 cals a day, macros are 50 protein /40 fat / 10 carbs, I can increase cals if it's the right thing to do
    My current exercise routine bike to and from work just over a mile each way
    Walking for min 30 mins twice a day
    Bootcamp ( cardio and core/strength) circuits or boxersice style1-2 times a week
    And I also try to run a couple of miles 1-2 times a day dependant on if i go to bootcamp
    I do have dumbells and ab trainer machine at home and use these when I remember to do so. I will be going back to the gym in August when my new one opens, I am also going away in September and want to look good in my bikini lol

My main question is should I start taking it now, will it help me achieve more with my current workouts, run further, work harder at bootcamp and try and increase my weights routine at home or should I wait until I get back in the gym and a proper weights routine?
  • kwiet_storm
    kwiet_storm Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I will recommend BCAA Amino Acid. Will help you recover and give you that extra boost of strenght. Take it while you train. Creatine, as I have answered above. Also don't forget rest days to maximise recovery.
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I really don't think it is a good idea based upon your current workouts. If you start lifting weights I'd say think about using it after your gains plateau.
  • jo2907
    Options
    Ok thanks guys, replies appreciated! I was in two minds as to take it or not but based on your advice I think I will leave it for now, keep on at the workouts I'm doing with a bit of weight training try to lose a few more lbs then look at it again in August when the gym starts again
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Given the update- no. You aren't in position you need it.
    Wait till well after august. Start doing a beginner lifting program in August- if after 6-9 months you aren't happy- re-evaluate.
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For your type of exercise routines, you would probably get little benefit from taking creatine. Creatine helps more for routines that focus more on explosive, bursts, type movements like in weightlifting, or sprinting, or actual HIIT sessions to a degree.
  • Cass2025
    Cass2025 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    @jo2907 , you are not doing enough explosive cardio to need creatine it would hardly give you any benefit.. Quick question also for your macros where did you get that information those percentages are they the ones that you need? it just seems like alot of fat for only 1250 cal
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Cass2025 wrote: »
    @jo2907 , you are not doing enough explosive cardio to need creatine it would hardly give you any benefit.. Quick question also for your macros where did you get that information those percentages are they the ones that you need? it just seems like alot of fat for only 1250 cal

explosive cardio?

herm.
  • Cass2025
    Cass2025 Posts: 82 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Like HIIT and she isn't lifting, she isn't doing enough for her body to need creatine it will not give her any benefit
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Too much creatine can give you kidney stones, plus if you did get creatine monohydrate. If you do take creatine then make sure to drink plenty of water, and I mean plenty. You would also put bit of weight, well its mostly water since your muscle will store water which will give you bit of strenght, fullness of the muscle.

Of the hundreds of studies on creatine they have never shown it to cause kidney stones or other kidney issues. It is not recommended for people who already have kidney disease, as it can add some stress to the kidneys, but not enough to harm a healthy kidney.

Best source, IMO, for info on supplements, specifically creatine, is:

http://examine.com/topics/creatine/

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

Of the hundreds of studies on creatine they have never shown it to cause kidney stones or other kidney issues. It is not recommended for people who already have kidney disease, as it can add some stress to the kidneys, but not enough to harm a healthy kidney.

Best source, IMO, for info on supplements, specifically creatine, is:

http://examine.com/topics/creatine/