Finding energy to exercise !

Options
I work at a busy cafe and I am on my feet minimum 9.5 hours a day, 5 days a week. I am constantly walking/running around and by the end of my shift I have no energy or motivation to do anything other than sit down on the couch.
I know working isn't enough exercise but I feel as though I just can't do any more! Any suggestions on what to do?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Exercise before work?
  • demismith48
    demismith48 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I am not a morning person! I start at 7 everyday.
  • Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your carbs. If you're lacking in carbs then you will feel depleted and won't have the energy. Increasing carbs throughout the day or even a carb drink 30 mins before a workout should give you the energy and motivation to workout
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, I think you just have to do it whether or not you have the energy. It's a bit of a circle where you don't have energy so you don't exercise and then you don't exercise so you don't have energy. Give it two weeks of committed effort to exercise and your energy will increase.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I also have a high energy work life. Used to work in a restaurant and now doing animal care. Easily hitting 14k steps a day just at work. I also deal with some chronic pain due to old injuries to my knees and shoulder. So I totally get how when you get home you are tempted to sit down and not get up again until going to bed. My day starts at 5:30 am.

My workouts also happen at night. No choice there really. Classes at the dojo go from 7-9 PM Mon, Wed and Sunday and I go to every class. Thing is, even at my most tired and sore I know that when I get to the dojo and training begins I will forget about it. I enjoy my aikido training so much that the desire to go to class is stronger than the desire to sit and watch TV. After 6 years of doing this 3 times a week, 52 weeks a year it is just habit. But in the first year or so the pain and exhaustion of unaccustomed exercise was certainly a strong motivator to incline me to avoid a workout. That's when sheer will kicks in and it is helpful to do something that is so enjoyable that you do it in spite of those things.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Start small amd build it up consistently. Some people are just able to get on with it. Find out what you cna manage, start with maybe a ten minute walk every day and keep progressing. Dp something nice or incoprorate it into everyday life i.e walk part of the way home or to the shops, go dancing etc, just anything that has you moving a bit more is a start.

From your description sounds like you move a lot so find a workout maybe on the internet i.e fitness blender that cna help you wind down and is short and manageable, even some yoga or pilates. The idea is the same start small and progress.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    why isn't working enough exercise? exercise is hugely important for people who sit all day long...less so for people who are actually active in their daily lives. I know lots of people who don't lift a finger in deliberate exercise but their daily jobs are more exercise than I get in a week...

I used to do landscape construction back in the day...I was in very good shape despite doing ZERO deliberate exercise.

I'm not telling you not to exercise, I just think you need to put things into perspective.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Drag yourself to the gym (or dance studio) and do some simple warm-up moves. I find this "gets me going." Choose an exercise you feel passionate about - maybe it's dance class instead of lifting. Maybe it's stroll on a nature path. Or perhaps find another job that doesn't rob you of your vitality.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    why isn't working enough exercise? exercise is hugely important for people who sit all day long...less so for people who are actually active in their daily lives. I know lots of people who don't lift a finger in deliberate exercise but their daily jobs are more exercise than I get in a week...

I used to do landscape construction back in the day...I was in very good shape despite doing ZERO deliberate exercise.

I'm not telling you not to exercise, I just think you need to put things into perspective.

I would add to this that you could try coming home and incorporating simple bodyweight moves. Try doing a few triceps dips on your coffee table while watching tv, spend one evening just doing some ab work, etc. etc. you might find you'll have some energy and motivation once you start. nothing is wasted by trying!
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Just to note . . . I am not at all a morning person and never have been, but since I started walking/jogging in the morning, I've started waking up all by myself before my alarm. First time in my life!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Just to note . . . I am not at all a morning person and never have been, but since I started walking/jogging in the morning, I've started waking up all by myself before my alarm. First time in my life!

yup
    I'm not a morning person, but I drag (or inchworm) out of bed in the morning
    I find I have more energy in the morning this way too
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    bmchenry02 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I would add to this that you could try coming home and incorporating simple bodyweight moves. Try doing a few triceps dips on your coffee table while watching tv, spend one evening just doing some ab work, etc. etc. you might find you'll have some energy and motivation once you start. nothing is wasted by trying!

This (both quotes)
    Kr15by wrote: »
    Try increasing your carbs. If you're lacking in carbs then you will feel depleted and won't have the energy. Increasing carbs throughout the day or even a carb drink 30 mins before a workout should give you the energy and motivation to workout

And this.

I also want to add that when my job required me to be on my feet for 8 hours I came home pretty exhausted as well.
    However, I would still drag myself to the gym on wednesdays because I didn't want to miss my class. Those workouts were some of the best feeling and most rewarding workouts I've had.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm up at 5:15 getting myself ready then getting a 3 year old ready, getting him to eat and grabbing something for myself in the morning and getting to work by 7:30... I AM a morning person and its still hard to get up early... BUT when I do it feels SO GOOD to already have my workout done :) Like you finished your homework early :)
  • Suzmp88
    Suzmp88 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a sedentary job, but around 3:30pm is when I usually get tired and try to make excuses to get out of my after-work workout. At that time it really helps when I drink either an 8oz cup of coffee, or some pre-workout powder that has caffeine mixed into water.

Have you also thought about going home after work, resting, eating dinner and then working out?
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

yup
    I'm not a morning person, but I drag (or inchworm) out of bed in the morning
    I find I have more energy in the morning this way too

It's been a remarkable change for me, since I've always been a person to hit the snooze button as many times as possible.

I feel a lot better throughout the day having gotten the exercise over with in the morning, too. It's one less thing to worry about.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Carbs are you best friends if you're looking for ways to boost your energy for the WOs.
  • demismith48
    demismith48 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks heaps, I have made myself do Pilates after work and I feel great afterwards! Also falling asleep before 8.00pm haha :) Anyone supportive feel free to add me!
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Workout before work or
    Nap before exercise
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Google "seven minute workout"