Do you subtract exercise calories from what you ate that day???

Options
I can't figure out if it's good to add calories to my day when I exercise? Will I still lose weight? Like if I burn 300calories and take in 300, does that mark each other out?

Replies

• Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    As long as the extra calories aren't from a bad fat source then yes, you can add these.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Its really up to the individual.

read this
    http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/#exercise

Then decide what works best for you. I personally do eat back some of my exercise calories. Some days more than others. It is nice to have that cushion when you just want that special high calorie meal or are just a little hungrier than usual.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    krisbain wrote: »
    As long as the extra calories aren't from a bad fat source then yes, you can add these.

Wait, what?? I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter where your calories come from, as long as you burn more than you take in, you'll lose weight.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Put simply - it's up to you. Your calorie allowance has a deficit built in already so if you eat to zero you will still loose the weight over a period of time. If you choose not to eat your exercise calories you may well loose weight a little quicker as you are increasing the deficit but you also risk not having enough energy to fuel your workouts or repair your muscles post workout. I think a lot of it depends on what kind of exercise you do. I eat back about half my lifting exercise calories, 3/4 of my circuit training calories and 100% of my steady state exercise calories. The majority of the time I try and eat back relatively high protein, low fat food but sometimes its nice to just work out to earn a treat :)

I'm running 10k tomorrow and will be eating a pizza tonight to fuel it :)
  • SharronRiddleHoudek
    SharronRiddleHoudek Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can, but I try not to. More burned and not eaten, the more weight loss. Maybe when I reach my goal weight I will do this, but now, unless I'm super hungry one day, I bank those calories as fat burners.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back whatever my Fitbit automatically adds. What activity level did you pick for your calorie goal? From what I understand, MFP gives your initial calorie limit based on the activity level you set. So, activities included in that "level" are already assumed/included, but anything outside of that should be fair game...
  • Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    ljk0615 wrote: »
    krisbain wrote: »

Wait, what?? I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter where your calories come from, as long as you burn more than you take in, you'll lose weight.
    Not really. The body likes to store fat and use the carbs for fuel first.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    nina6183 wrote: »
    I can't figure out if it's good to add calories to my day when I exercise? Will I still lose weight? Like if I burn 300calories and take in 300, does that mark each other out?

Yes, that's the way MFP is structured. Your default calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. (It's often referred to as net calories.) Since your deficit is already built in, you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories.

But "exercise" means exercise—not work, housework, yard work, child care, or anything else. Those are all part of your activity level.

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. Food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight—never the minimum.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't track my exercise in MFP. I customized my calorie and macro entries which already includes a deficit. I plan my meals and snacks to fuel me throughout the day which includes eating something after working out (sometimes I just split my breakfast before and after a workout).