Breastfeeding weight loss issues!

Options
I'm still exclusively BFing my 5 month old and plan to do so for some time alongside solids such we'll introduce in a month.

I weighed myself 1month after having him and I lost 30lbs since then without trying. Although I do walk 3-4 miles a day pushing a double buggy, started running etc.

All of a sudden for the past month I've lost nothing despite being more careful since I noticed it had stopped. I've stated to be really strict. la Leche reccoment a min 1500 for BF mothers and I'm lucky that I always have a great supply. So I am eating 1500 but making sure I do 300 cal worth of exercise a day. I'm 14-21 lbs off where I want to be and desperate to get it off before my beach holiday in October. If I do more exercise (am trying for a half marathon) I eat the extra calories.

With my first all the weight flew off. Feeling really down as font fit in my clothes and feel frumpy. I know I'm doing the best for my LO and don't want to give up.

Any tips? Anyone had this? Will loss start again when we start solids?

Replies

• spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Well first of all, congrats on your 5 month nursing mark! That's a victory in an of itself, so be proud. Secondly, I would caution you not to rush in to feeding your little one solids just to see if it will help with your weight loss goals. Not all babies are ready or even interested in solids at 6 months, and so it's better to separate out those two different issues—solids for baby is one thing, your weight loss and fitness goals are another.

What's your current weight and height?
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hard to offer tips when your diary is closed. Are you weighing your food? If not, start there.

Otherwise, 30lbs in 5 or so months is huge. Doesn't look like there's much of a problem.
  • CamboSauce
    CamboSauce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am EBF my 6 month old as well and have the same problem, but I do know once you start feeding Little one solids it might make our problem even harder since baby actually takes calories from our diet, I'm just sticking to this app and trying to exercise more hopefully I can lose these last 20 lbs
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Well first of all, congrats on your 5 month nursing mark! That's a victory in an of itself, so be proud. Secondly, I would caution you not to rush in to feeding your little one solids just to see if it will help with your weight loss goals. Not all babies are ready or even interested in solids at 6 months, and so it's better to separate out those two different issues—solids for baby is one thing, your weight loss and fitness goals are another.

What's your current weight and height?

It's recommended to introduce solids between 4 and 6 months. Introducing solids at 6 months is not even remotely rushing in.
  • MissRae123
    MissRae123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My guess is you should be eating more. 300-500 more a day if you're EBF. I couldn't go under 1800 with my first or I wouldn't lose. Now with my second he's 16mo so not nursing as often but I still have to up my cals 200 ish a day especially if I'm exercising. You can enter in breastfeeding in your food and it will add the calories in there. If try that for a few weeks and see how it works for you. Good luck momma!
  • feathers1981
    feathers1981 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies.

Yes I have been weighing my food. I'll try and work out how to open my diary now! I had been eating more 1800ish but was staying the same, which is why I've cut down.

I'm 163.8 cms and 159 lbs. the 30 lbs was in 3 months and no loss for the last month. So my BMI is still above health. My 'wedding day weight' is 28lbs lower but I'd be happy with just losing 14 more atm.

I'm not stating solids in any way to aid Wright loss, just because I think he'll be ready.
  • feathers1981
    feathers1981 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Diary should now be public