Exercise for the EXTREMELY unfit?

Options
2»

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on where to start?

Quit smoking. I'm guessing it is the biggest impediment to your progress right now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    For starters, work on quitting smoking. When I got started back into fitness I was a 2-3 PAD smoker...I used an e-cig to help me quit...getting off the cigs, even though I was vaping really opened up my lungs and I could breath again. When I started vaping I made the commitment to not smoke any cigarettes...I vaped for about 9 months all the while cutting my nicotine down to zero (as I always intended to get off the vape as well). One day my battery just died and since I had been at zero nicotine for awhile, I just chucked them and didn't buy anymore...at that point, it was just letting go of the habit of sticking something in my mouth. Truth be told, I still do vape on occasion, but not all day long...I might have a couple puffs with a cocktail or something and that's it.

Beyond that, I started out just walking...once I was to the point of walking at a moderate clip for an hour 7 days per week I started doing a C25K program and started running a bit...signed up for a couple 5Ks and some mud runs...then decided I wanted train for a sprint triathlon (months later mind you)...injured myself and never did get to do the triathlon, but fell in love with my bike along the way and I'm now an avid cyclist and I ride roughly 80 miles per week on average.

Bottom line is start out slow...baby steps...I'm right around 3 years into this good livin' and I can tell you that while I'm pretty fit now, it didn't come overnight...it's been a work in progress for 3 good years.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I started running years before I quit smoking. I even won my age group at some local races and was in the top 25% of finishers in every race. I did eventually quit smoking but smoking didn't stop me from being active and fit.

I haven't smoked now for 22 years.

That's awesome! I wish I could still have that lung capacity. I've only been smoking for 2 years and it feels like 20.
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Maries_wine_calories Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    annekka wrote: »
    Your smoking probably is affecting your lung function somewhat. But you can presumably work around it. I'd recommend quitting the habit if you can for better lung function in general but that's your decision to make and not ours.

Start here for crying out loud- this "work around" is a ridiculous part of your equation to fitness.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I suspect a much larger part of your breathlessness than you'd like to think is from the smoking.

You've gotten some good advice on how to increase your cardio capacity with walking. I find my fitbit really inspiring.

I had a lot of success taking dance classes. I started with one class for one hour per week during a time I was very unfit after an illness. I slowly built up to (many) more. It was enjoyable enough that I hardly noticed that it was exercise. However, after about a year, I started C25K, and was surprised by how I could do it without becoming breathless. It was tiring and hard, but I wasn't winded like I expected.
  • DrunkInAGolfCart
    DrunkInAGolfCart Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for all the advice. I know the smoking is a huge problem. I literally have been smoking for more than half my life - I haven't gone a day without a cigarette since I was 14.

Totally honest (and kinda long) explanation in regards to the smoking: ]I've started to see a psychologist recently just to sort out a lot of issues I've had with anxiety and depression. I had a pretty serious problem with painkillers for a good three years. As of now I've been 6 months off them. Cold turkey. No rehab. 100% my decision. It was a good 8 weeks of hell but slowly but surely it got easier. I was NEVER into drugs - I was ALWAYS the goody goody that said no to everything. Didn't even like pot! So it was sort of astounding that I ended up addicted to bloody painkillers. It just got really out of hand and took me ages to admit I had a serious problem. Without being too dramatic, it's amazing I'm even here now with the amounts I was taking. Anyway, I talked to my shrink about the smoking and she out rightly said I shouldn't worry about it for now... I think she sees it as not rocking the boat. I felt so utterly doomed in the last few years that it's sort of miraculous that I've finally stood up and taken action and have decided to actually LIVE. Yes, this is kind of a personal admission but I've been the sort of person who - all my life - hides any issues I have with a fake smile and joking around. I've come to a point where I'm trying not be ashamed of my past or my problems. So yeah, this is my completely honest answer in regards to why giving up smoking isn't really an option right now.

It's still absolutely a long term goal though. In the meantime I'm going to make a rule that I only smoke downstairs which means cutting back AND getting more exercise from the trips up the stairs.

I've been struck down with a horrible throat infection and bad flu - second one I've had in the past month and damn, it's a beauty. Trying to sing today was not fun!

I can't tell you how much this thread has REALLY inspired me. Once I'm better I'm going to start getting up really early and going for a walk for an hour. Then I'm going to build up to running. I'll investigate the "Begginer shred" because that sounds so my sorta thing.

The thought of being able to run is amazing to me. Even back when I was a gawky skinny teenager I was hopeless at running. I HATED gym class. Once again, thank you all for your wonderful advice. It's really made me feel like I'm potentially underestimating my own strength and fitness level.
  • HarleyQuinn34
    HarleyQuinn34 Posts: 38 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Lots of walking-

Also quit smoking. I quit June 1, 2015 which was the day I got serious about being healthy. Every time I wanted to smoke I went for a walk instead. It really has improved my lung capacity and breathing during working out 1000%

I still have those moments when I want to smoke...usually it's when I get stressed out at work- I still go for a walk instead.

It's been the most difficult part of my journey to be healthy but also the most important

Good luck!!