Have cracked the healthy eating but need to cut down on the beer

I have a healthy diet and in Barbados it is easy to eat healthily if you like fish, which I do. I tend to steam it and also eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruit. I am lucky not to like sweet food and the cheese, which in England is my downfall is awful here.My problem is Banks beer! I gave up spirits but it is so hot here and some days I drink more calories than I eat, which is why I joined. This isn't an alcohol problem as I can go days without drinking and haven't been drunk for about 12 years.

Replies

• dkjaer
    dkjaer Posts: 9 Member
    I am in a similar situation. I am a runner and have been training for marathons non-stop since January. One of the things that gets me through long training runs is thinking of a cold, bitter bottle of beer at the end. I also run with a group every week who always have cold beer waiting at the end of the run. I rarely have more than one bottle in any given day. I just wish that I could find something more healthy but still as effective as beer for my reward at the finish line.
  • bigorangemichael
    bigorangemichael Posts: 27 Member
    I'm currently dieting and have been told by a nutritionist that having a beer or two a week is OK. They recommend not having more than two alcoholic beverages per week. Some weeks I'm way under, some weeks I go over.

• Lynchbean
    Lynchbean Posts: 5 Member
    I find it impossible to go out socially and not have a beer. Am in Barbados for rest of the year and avoiding the rum shop like the plague. Don't drink beer in England but enjoy it on a hot day. Where are you with your diet? I am 55 now and spent until my 40 s worrying about food and my weight. I still stick to a healthy diet but use my clothes now to judge if I am going up. Have a good day and take care.
  • Lynchbean
    dkjaer wrote: »
    I am in a similar situation. I am a runner and have been training for marathons non-stop since January. One of the things that gets me through long training runs is thinking of a cold, bitter bottle of beer at the end. I also run with a group every week who always have cold beer waiting at the end of the run. I rarely have more than one bottle in any given day. I just wish that I could find something more healthy but still as effective as beer for my reward at the finish line.

• Lynchbean
    I start the day thinking I will just have water but as if by magic (ha ha) I suddenly have a beer in my hand. Guess if you are running it must be easily burnt off. Depends on if you are looking at it from the calorie point of view or the not wanting to drink every day or both. Have a good day.
  • hippytee
    hippytee Posts: 249 Member
    Giving up on something you like never is easy,, not into beer or drinking , mines smoking ,, yuk and just as bad for you I know. Given up again after re starting over a year ago,

Before that smoke free for over 2& a half yrs. boy can I feel the diference, cardio is so hard on my lungs and heart right now.