Good starting out exercise DVD?

Options
So I see a lot of talk about the great results everyone is getting from workout dvd's like 30 day shred, P90X and insanity. But they all sound very challenging. Not sure if they are good for beginners?
Anyone have suggestions on the best one when you are just starting to workout? I have been walking and doing some 20 minute Crunch workouts on Comcast but pretty out of shape with not much stamina.

I don't want to buy one that is WAY to hard for me and I just get discouraged.
I am 5'4'' and now 188 so I am carrying weight obviously... thought about losing a few more before really working out to the max but I don't want to put it off.

Thanks

Replies

• LauriinSB
    LauriinSB Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Try the Leslie Sansone walking tapes, they helped me a lot in the beginning
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    michelle_mareshfuehrer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Dancing with the Stars Latin Cardio Dance dvd, and I also recommend the Danceskin sets (such as the Kettlebell that comes with a DVD; and the yoga mat that comes with a DVD). I have had the most fun and success with my XBOX Kinect games though, like Dance Central, Zumba, and Michael Jackson. :)
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I really enjoy the Dolphina Goddess workouts. I have two of her bellydancing ones and they're fun and you can go at your own pace.
  • sarahcowley1
    Options
    its a bit old now but i started with the charlie brooks workout dvd with a dvd you work at your own pace anyway hun i paused and started again so many times when i 1st did it .... just go at your own pace :D
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I was very out of shape starting this journey too! I started out with walking on treadmill then incr speed and incline. From there I started the 30 day shred-I basically died that 1st few wks into it. Now I can do both levels 2 and 3 along with some p90x etc . What I'm saying is you CAN do it-push yourself through. You will be surpried at the endurance you will gain. Good luck!
  • simplystacy627
    Options
    I agree. these tapes are a great way to get started!
  • Jami22
    Jami22 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The 30 Day Shred is a tough workout but there is someone doing easier verisons of most of the moves. Comcast has a lot of stuff on OnDemand that is good. I like Chris Freytag and last time I was on there (Exercise TV) the 30 Day Shred, Level 1 was there so you could try it out before you buy it. It's pretty cheap anyway, like $10.
  • MistyRD
    MistyRD Posts: 7
    Options
    My sis has used the walking DVD's also..and she is short and carrying some weight. I have always enjoyed Turbo Jam by Chalene Johnson she has a 20 minutes workout on her 5 workout set that is perfect for beginners and burns alot of calories. There are two women in it doing things low impact so you can watch them (even though they are thin in the DVD, there are stories about them in the extras...and they didn't used to be). P90X will be too challenging...30 day shred would probably be okay for you cuz it's only 20 minutes and it incorporates some strength training which will boost your metabolism. But, keep in mind you will be OH SO SORE the first week with that one! As if your head wasn't spinning enough...there is one more I would suggest...it's called Slim in 6 (beachbody.com or ebay) very good for beginners and it's a 6 week program. Hope this helps! Good for you for starting to exercise!!! Keep it up!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    In my opinion Slim in 6 is a great starter program. Both my wife and I have done the program and had great success with it.

Hope this helps,
    Stu
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When I started out, I started with Jillian Michaels (from the Biggest Loser) 30 Day Shred. It's not overly difficult, but it can challenge you and motivate you to try your best. There's 3 stages, with the first being the easiest of course, and you work your way up until you've mastered each level. The only thing you need is hand weights, and if you don't have them, it's no big deal. It's easy to modify the moves.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    If you want a lower body work out, like I did, I would suggest Kim Kardashians "fit in your jeans by friday" Butt busting workout.

she works along with a trainer, but it is a really great workout especially if you arent used to working out your lower half. She does the harder version and Kim does the easier version. Its really cute. and a total work out!

I bought mine online at walmart.com and got it for 9 dollars.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the 30 Day Shred. I was the same height and weight as you when I started, and that's what I started with. Also, it only costs about $9, so if you hate it, it's no big deal. I also really like Turbo Jam, but that's a bit more of a financial investment.
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    Biggest Loser 30 day jump start was a good start for me. 3 - 10 min circuits - 1 each for legs, arms, abs. You don't have to do them all on the same day. I would do 1 or 2 of them and then walk for cardio to start. Good luck!!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walking DVD or 10 Minute Trainer by Tony Horton.
  • jennnny
    jennnny Posts: 65
    Options
    I have to tell you that both of my parents, both in their 50's and both overweight and extremely out of shape started right off with P90X. You're not going to be able to do the entire video just like the instructors do. Heck I can't and I'm only 25 and only relatively out of shape. They show you tons of modifications and he says all the time just to participate to your capabilities. When they're doing 30 push ups and you can only do 3 on your knees, it's ok. You just stick with your 3 and you just keep it up and then you'll eventually see improvement. I think it's the same way with almost any of these dvd's. I'm currently doing the 30 day shred and it's definitely challenging but the goal is not for you to finish the entire dvd straight through to perfection...it's just for you to work yourself out. So don't be afraid! You can do anything! Just ease yourself in and then over time you will see improvement! Good luck!
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sanson Walking DVD's are really good.
    I enjoy it, she can be a little chatty but if you can move past that...you will sweat and you will get some nice results.
    Doing her videos has really helped my endurance too, I used to hate walking around the neighborhood (we have alot of hills), but I now I do 60 minutes up and down hills and I enjoy it!
    Good Luck!
  • shana8577
    shana8577 Posts: 10
    Options
    I started out doing the Leslie Sansone dvd's, she has a set that's 1 mile, 2 mile or 3 miles. I also, after you get the moves down, mute the video and play the radio so I don't have to listen to her say the same thing over and over again.
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the replies everyone and the support and motivation to get moving!
  • 44isthenew29
    44isthenew29 Posts: 141
    Options
    When I got back on the fitness wagon, I picked up a couple of Kathy Smith's DVDs at Zellers for 5 bucks each. One was Peel off the Pounds Pilates which was a mix of cardio and pilates - about 25 minutes. The other one was Walk off Weight Loss or something like that. It was basically circuit training which is a lot of what Jillian Michaels does, but at a more manageable pace. Both workouts really helped me get into the groove again - now I'm doing JM kettlebell and Ripped in 30 workouts. For the Kathy Smith workouts, you just need a yoga mat and a couple sets of handweights. Cheap and easy.