Best substitute for peanut butter?

Options
bmchenry02
bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
my step daughter is moving in with us soon and she has a serious peanut allergy. I love Jif natural peanut butter currently and looking to try a substitute either with sunflower or almond. Curious what brands you like?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Almond butter?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Yup, almond butter.
  • bmchenry02
    Options
    Sorry. I'm aware of almond butter but there are all kinds. What brand do you prefer?
  • get_fit_fritch26
    get_fit_fritch26 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I really like the MaraNatha brand almond butter...especially their dark chocolate almond spread...It tastes like nutella without all the added sugar
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    A few of the grocery stores near me have fresh almond butter - big machines full of almonds and you just press a button to grind them into a container. That's my favorite and there is no sugar.
  • bmchenry02
    Options
    A few of the grocery stores near me have fresh almond butter - big machines full of almonds and you just press a button to grind them into a container. That's my favorite and there is no sugar.

I'll look into that. I'm going to have to get used to a different texture/taste either way you cut it! I don't use much anyways as it is...thx.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Trader joes has some good almond butter for a good price!(:
  • bmchenry02
    Options
    Trader joes has some good almond butter for a good price!(:

Define good. Lol. I know they take back items you don't like but I'm not one to do that. Am I the only peanut butter weirdo that fears trying a new one?
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    PB2 isn't bad... Some local stores carry this, but it isn't cheap. Walden Farms 0 calorie peanut butter was horrible.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss..
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    PB2 isn't bad... Some local stores carry this, but it isn't cheap. Walden Farms 0 calorie peanut was was horrible.

I don't think PB2 solves the peanut allergy issue...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    sunflower seed butter
  • bmchenry02
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I'm so sorry for your loss..

Thank you.
  • bmchenry02
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    PB2 isn't bad... Some local stores carry this, but it isn't cheap. Walden Farms 0 calorie peanut was was horrible.

I don't think PB2 solves the peanut allergy issue...

Correct. Pb2 is still peanut butter.
  • pznatti
    pznatti Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    We also love Sunbutter... :)
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    A life without peanut butter? I feel your pain :'(
    Could you not have a secret stash somewhere away from the home? Like in the car or at work?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Chezzie84 wrote: »
    Could you not have a secret stash somewhere away from the home? Like in the car or at work?

I have to lead a life without peanut butter, for the most part. Or at least a life without a jar of real peanut butter at home :( Tis sad.
  • bmchenry02
    Options
    Chezzie84 wrote: »

If I really need a peanut butter fix it will come from a pb twix while out alone with ample hand washing and travel scope. But then really isn't that silly. I'll get over it. Lol