Guessing a burger's calories...

Options
Hello! I'm planning on going out with friends tonight, and I'd like to treat myself to a burger for a change. Obviously, figuring out the calories in a plain burger isn't especially difficult, but once you start adding a bunch of fancy toppings, well... things get a bit more complicated. So I thought I might reach out to people with more practice and see what they think!

The restaurant: http://www.badapplebar.com/menu/

The burger I'd like is the "Rampunzel" with "pickled tomato and shallot relish, fresh mozzarella, ramp and walnut pesto." The menu doesn't say how many ounces the patties are, but I can ask at the restaurant and figure that out.

So would a good entry system for MFP be the following?

X oz. beef
pretzel bun
1-2 oz fresh mozzarella
generic tomato relish
generic pesto

Or is there something I'm not considering? Obviously it's impossible to perfectly estimate it, but I tend to leave a little wiggle room in my calories throughout the day (and I'll probably just have veggies and maybe a protein bar for lunch), so I'm not terribly worried because this kind of thing is a pretty rare treat for me.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    That might get you in the ballpark. You could add a flat amount or percentage to the individual portions to estimate on the high side.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sounds like something I would do. If I was getting really picky I'd add a few grams of walnuts. But no big deal.
  • crys_todd
    crys_todd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'd add a tablespoon of butter too since most restaurants butter their buns.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I was having this exact problem, yesterday. I've started to take 'cheat weekends' from my vegetarian diet [no moral qualms, I personally eat healthier this way]... I went to Fat Shack [Colorado, look it up; omg] and got a regular Cheeseburger with grilled onions and fries. No idea wtf to log that as.

I ate only 1/3rd of my fries, I was pretty full after the burger.

Also; If you get sick, wtf do you count your calories at? Do you just leave them alone? I didn't eat anything else all night just in case. The burger was just too greasy for my 'not-used-to-unhealthy-foods-anymore' stomach, and I got sick on the way home. Roommate is witness to me actually starting to throw up in car and needing to pull over, so no worries on disorders here, btw.

.... PS, that burger was worth making me sick. It was too delicious.