Started one month ago...

Options
adityashah94
adityashah94 Posts: 13 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So the past three years of my life, I've been in college; I'm a rising senior now who went through a lot of depression and anxiety and addiction.

When the summer started, I realized that alot of these stem from my lack of self-confidence (which is partially due to how I look or atleast how I feel I look). So I set out to finally begin my own diet and exercise program to lose weight.

I started on May 26th with a restricted diet of high protein, medium carbs, low fat and low sugar and a caloric intake of ~1200. My starting weight was 195; today, I weight about 179 Ibs so I've definitely made a lot of progress. On top of my diet, I also do crossfit 5x/week. I'm about 5 feet 7 inches and am turning 21 in about 4 months.

Recently I looked into supplements to help with the next month of my weight loss journey. My ultimate goal is to be 155-160 Ibs and LEAN AS HELL. I am going to be taking the C4 Ripped with Cutting Formula (thermogenic for fat burning) and also Cellucor Alpha Amino PostWorkout Recovery. I start that tomorrow...

Has anyone has experience with the above supplements, and if so, how have they worked for you?

Is there any advice, motivation, success stories, etc that you could leave with me.

The last thing I want is to get demotivated by slow results; I know the results will come, attested by my last month. But I just need to ensure that this time around, I stick with my plan. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It sounds like what you're doing is working. Skip the supplements, regardless.
  • adityashah94
    Options
    I think the alpha amino is a pretty good, natural supplement. It basically helps with hydration and my muscles have been sore for about a week (whether it be from overtraining or just from inactivity). What do you think I should do for THAT if not the alpha amino. GNC helped me out with picking the supplements.

I'm just a curious cat! Not undermining your advise, promise!
  • DeguelloTex
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Drinking more also helps with hydration. Exercise is going to make muscles sore.

If you want to use the recovery supplements to see how they work, they probably won't do any actual harm.
  • jthompson1989
    jthompson1989 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    DO NOT take C4 Ripped with Cutting Formula if you suffer from anxiety!

It is a stimulant and can leave you feeling jittery and could cause issues that will distract you from the progress you are making.

Move more. Cut out all added sugar.

keep it up
  • legackst1
    legackst1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can relate, I also went through a lot of those same battles. I have about 140 more lbs to lose, but like you I am determined to stick to my plan, push forward, and see the results. Best of luck to you in your journey.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Also, don't worry about cutting out added sugar unless you have a medical issue. Sugar -- even, gasp, refined sugar -- isn't inherently a problem.
  • jthompson1989
    jthompson1989 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also, don't worry about cutting out added sugar unless you have a medical issue. Sugar -- even, gasp, refined sugar -- isn't inherently a problem.

Agree, if you can follow an IIFYM type of diet and you are unaffected/ not worried about energy level spikes and dips.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I know you mentioned not wanting to lose weight slowly, but do you realize that it is the BEST way? MFP helps to set that goal and the calorie goal in order for you not to optimally lose the least amount of lean muscle mass while still losing fat. 16lbs loss in one month is a crazy rate of loss, and most likely more muscle mass than you would have wanted. Please take everyone's advice, including the MFP's general advice, that losing slowly is the best and most healthy way to do this. Don't take the weight loss supplements (they will aggravate your anxiety and make you jittery), and just focus on the correct foods (mostly protein). You only want to lose another 20 or so pounds so your rate of loss should be like 1 lb. per week (4-5 lbs max a month) not 4 lbs/week (your 16 lbs in one month).

If you crash diet like this, you won't be able to sustain your weight loss and maintain when you get to your goal weight. At your height, weight, and activity level, 1200 calories per day is not a lot and your body will not be able to sustain this rate of weight loss for long. Slow and steady wins the race! Up your calories to fuel your work outs! Good luck! :smiley:
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I take a thermogenic. When I first started it, I would get REALLY, really hot during exercise -- almost to the point of feeling faint. That problem went away after my body got used to it. You might want to consider upping your calories and making sure you're getting a decent amount of proteins and fats...those will be your best friends in fighting hunger.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options

I started on May 26th with a restricted diet of high protein, medium carbs, low fat and low sugar and a caloric intake of ~1200.
    No offense, but: Dude, really? 1200? oO I am 5'3, and even I eat more than that. Eating this little will do more harm than good in the long run. Set your goal to a sustainable amount and then tweak it a little. Also, low fat is not your friend. Your body needs fat (think nuts, avocado, salmon). Your fat intake should never drop below 15% of your total daily calories. For me, upping my fat to 30% has actually helped me lose weight ... by body likes the fact that I cut down on carbs a little (but by no means avoid them, they are equally important to losing weight, building muscle and sustaining a healthy body). So please rethink what you are doing. None of us really like the "slow and steady wins the race", but it's the healthiest and most sustainable way to lose weight.

I take a thermogenic. When I first started it, I would get REALLY, really hot during exercise -- almost to the point of feeling faint.
    Yeah, that sounds safe ... not -.-
    You might want to consider upping your calories and making sure you're getting a decent amount of proteins and fats...those will be your best friends in fighting hunger.
    100% agree with you here!

• adityashah94
    Options
    Here is how I portion out my calories:

~140 g of protein a day (eggs, chicken, low carb protein shake)
    ~40-50 g of fat per day (good fats such as nuts, and avocados)
    ~75-100 g of carbs per day
    <25 g of sugar per day (from fruits).

I do not feel hungry with this 1200 calorie diet; as you can see, the protein keeps me satiated and also water is my friend. There's nothing wrong with eating 1200 calories a day in my opinion AS LONG as the calories are nutritious and satiating. Moreover, I understand the necessity of getting fats into your body; it helps with feeling fuller.
    This is not a crash diet either. Eating 1200 calories/day is actually a minimum for men when dieting (1200-1500; even listed on this website). Also, my metabolism doesn't seem to have slowed down; rather, it seems to have increased! I have more energy throughout the day, I go to bed before 11 pm instead of around 2 am, and my mood has improved in an amazing way.
    What do you think about this? No offense taken, also! Just wanted to clarify!

After gorging myself with over 3500 calories a day, I had to seriously let my body know that it's not normal to be eating that much. I started at 2500, lowered it to 2000, and then found a really nice minimum of 1200 WITHOUT even trying. Sometimes, I struggle to reach the 1200 calorie intake because I'm simply not hungry and am already satiated. Maybe it has to do with the leptin hormone in my body, but I seriously doubt it. Any inputs on this?
  • adityashah94
    Options
    OH! I'm also positive that 8-10 pounds of the first month loss was simply water weight, which would make way more sense than it being all fat. I didn't really see any change in my body until 3 weeks after I started, and I had already lost about 12 pounds at that point.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

I do not feel hungry with this 1200 calorie diet; as you can see, the protein keeps me satiated and also water is my friend. There's nothing wrong with eating 1200 calories a day in my opinion AS LONG as the calories are nutritious and satiating. Moreover, I understand the necessity of getting fats into your body; it helps with feeling fuller.
    This is not a crash diet either. Eating 1200 calories/day is actually a minimum for men when dieting (1200-1500; even listed on this website). Also, my metabolism doesn't seem to have slowed down; rather, it seems to have increased! I have more energy throughout the day, I go to bed before 11 pm instead of around 2 am, and my mood has improved in an amazing way.

After gorging myself with over 3500 calories a day, I had to seriously let my body know that it's not normal to be eating that much. I started at 2500, lowered it to 2000, and then found a really nice minimum of 1200 WITHOUT even trying. Sometimes, I struggle to reach the 1200 calorie intake because I'm simply not hungry and am already satiated. Maybe it has to do with the leptin hormone in my body, but I seriously doubt it. Any inputs on this?

That very low range would only be appropriate for someone very very short and low BMI. Use a TDEE calculator that factors your height, weight, age, and activity level to determine your BMI and TDEE levels.

You don't want to constantly underfeed yourself because you will lose more muscle mass, and having to build that back at your goal weight is a bear. You won't build any significant muscle mass in a deficit, especially one that large, so you could end up in your goal weight with a much higher body fat percentage than you'd care to have.

• Arliah
    Options

How are you getting to 1200 calories with the amounts of protein, fat, and carbs? Do you weigh your food? I am jut asking because I eat 98 g of protein, 114 g of carbs and 51 g of fat, and that's around 1300 calories.

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
    Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories

Now, if you calculate your intake with the following numbers, you are over 1200 calories:

140 g protein x 4 calories = 560
    45 g fat x 9 calories = 405
    85 g carbs x 4 calories = 340

= 1305 calories.

Notice I used an average number for fat and carbs, since you said you are eating between X and Y. If you are going all the way to the max number, your actual calorie intake is more around 1400.

As far as your other comments are concerned:

You are not feeling hungry because your metabolism DOES slow down if you eat too little over a long period of time. I know because it has happened to me and has crashed my metabolism. Granted, I've eaten less than 1200 calories for close to one year, so it takes a while for that to happen, but the "I am not hungry" feeling came long before that for me.

Where do you get the 1200 minimum for men for? That's for women. According to the American College of Sports Medicine, men should eat at least 1800. Maybe less if you are really short, no idea, but 1200 for guys is definitely not the recommendation. Where on MFP does it say that 1200 is enough for men?

Also, going to bed earlier than later ... I don't understand how you can say that you have more energy. If you have more energy, you don't need to go to bed earlier. If you EXPEND more energy during the day, you are more likely tired earlier. Changes in diet can also help with having more energy (for me, eating less carbs help). So, if you are feeding your body more nutritious stuff instead of crap, and are more active during the day, yes, you have more energy but also expend more energy by exercising, which makes for a good night's sleep. If you fed your body crap before and were very sedative, of course you'd have less energy but can stay up longer because, well, bodies hardly get tired from just sitting around :)

One last comment about "not reaching the 1200": That's easy to do with nuts and nut butter. Just eat 30 g of almond butter (or whatever), and BAM, calories reached.

I can't speak for the leptin hormone, I have no experience with that.

Why don't you use the IIFYM or scooby's calculator to figure out what your body needs to survive (BMR) and then calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), subtract 20% for weight loss and go from there?

Hope this helped a little. I am not trying to be mean, but in the long run, eating this few calories will do more harm than good.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    You are at the prime muscle building stage of your life. If you feed your body TDEE - 15% to -20% and lift heavy items you may well achieve the magic of both losing weight and gaining muscle at the same time. And in any case you would achieve a healthy weight loss and improved health and physique... in other words ripped.

Why don't you go ask all the ripped guys in the exercise section how long it took to get where they're at?

But young = indestructible. Results now. Even if you sacrifice extra lean mass to get there.

Re: "I am not hungry when I eat blah blah".

You know, it is nice how you trust you hunger signals now that you're losing weight and they agree with what you'd like to do anyway.

How were the hunger signaks working for ya while you were gaining weight? Trustworthy much?

Re: 1200Cal recommendation for men?

Not discussing whether you're actually eating 1200 or 1800, just addressing your RESEARCH that leads you to believe that 1200 is an appropriate target. College level research?

Or are you saying 1200 plus eating back exercise calories and I've misunderstood?

Your money, your call with most legal supplements. Many of them do nothing or don't include any of the active ingredients you think you're buying. Some help a bit.

Many of the grey area ones...are grey. Stimulants will get you to lose weight and they will also cause/exacerbate mood disorders.

One of the side effect of drugs that actually induce inneficiencies in your cells in order to make them waste energy (which results in an increase in body temp) is death. I don't believe that they are legal, nor do they sound particularly safe.

Anyway: don't hit the gym well fueled and at a moderate deficit such that you have the best workouts, feed your brain, and actually have loads of energy to do things, enjoy life, lose weight, and actually become ripped.

Look for quick results instead!
  • Arliah
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You are at the prime muscle building stage of your life. If you feed your body TDEE - 15% to -20% and lift heavy items you may well achieve the magic of both losing weight and gaining muscle at the same time. And in any case you would achieve a healthy weight loss and improved health and physique... in other words ripped.

Why don't you go ask all the ripped guys in the exercise section how long it took to get where they're at?

But young = indestructible. Results now. Even if you sacrifice extra lean mass to get there.

Re: "I am not hungry when I eat blah blah".

You know, it is nice how you trust you hunger signals now that you're losing weight and they agree with what you'd like to do anyway.

How were the hunger signaks working for ya while you were gaining weight? Trustworthy much?

Re: 1200Cal recommendation for men?

Not discussing whether you're actually eating 1200 or 1800, just addressing your RESEARCH that leads you to believe that 1200 is an appropriate target. College level research?

Or are you saying 1200 plus eating back exercise calories and I've misunderstood?

Your money, your call with most legal supplements. Many of them do nothing or don't include any of the active ingredients you think you're buying. Some help a bit.

Many of the grey area ones...are grey. Stimulants will get you to lose weight and they will also cause/exacerbate mood disorders.

One of the side effect of drugs that actually induce inneficiencies in your cells in order to make them waste energy (which results in an increase in body temp) is death. I don't believe that they are legal, nor do they sound particularly safe.

Anyway: don't hit the gym well fueled and at a moderate deficit such that you have the best workouts, feed your brain, and actually have loads of energy to do things, enjoy life, lose weight, and actually become ripped.

Look for quick results instead!

Thumbs up, especially re. "Why don't you go ask all the ripped guys in the exercise section how long it took to get where they're at?"
  • adityashah94
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here's my break up of nutrients and calories today:

Calories

69g
    Carbs

23g
    Fat

189g
    Protein

Sodium

Sugar

I weigh about 180 right now, so I try to aim for 140-180 g of protein to maintain muscle. I also continue lifting, but constant weight and higher reps. What do you guys think?

It's not that I'm trying to get ripped; sure, that would be amazing too. haha.
    But the point is that I probably have 20-25 more pounds of fat; i want my body to utilize THAT fat for energy, not external foods (which I know will happen regardless).

And it's not that I'm starving myself either. I literally WILL eat when I get hungry. Today, I had Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and 3 snacks for a total of 6 eating sessions. So I don't necessarily agree with your advice on metabolism. I DO exhaust myself via physical activity which helps me go to bed at night; of course, that makes sense. I believe my metabolism is better than it has ever been; I used to be sluggish, lethargic, etc. Now I'm energetic and more calm. Anxiety has been gone for over a month since starting this diet and the depression has crept away (hopefully forever).

• Arliah
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Suit yourself :) You asked for advice and stories, you got it. Of course you can do whatever you like, it's your body, but don't be surprised if, in the long run, you see unpleasant side effects from eating so little.

If you are ever curious about what your body actually needs if you were in a coma (BMR), check this out: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

• adityashah94
    Options
    Basal Metabolic Rate -- 1900 calories.

1200-1300 calorie diet is a little more than a 500 calorie deficit, which I think is fine? Or am I incorrect?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Basal Metabolic Rate -- 1900 calories.

1200-1300 calorie diet is a little more than a 500 calorie deficit, which I think is fine? Or am I incorrect?

You are incorrect.

BMR is the metabolic needs for simply breathing, not even moving around. As if you were comatose.

MFP uses the NEAT calculation, which includes your expected activity, but not purposeful exercise. That's why you log exercise and it increases the calorie allotment for the day based on that, to approximate your TDEE.

TDEE is your total metabolic burn, including purposeful exercise.

Using your stats in the IIFYM TDEE calculator, with NO exercise, you would have a TDEE of 2133. Exercise 4x/wk, and it goes up over 2500.

Plug it in and see for yourself.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/