No Teeth

Options
I have had bad teeth all my life, and had to have the rest of them removed just this past Wednesday.

A total of 12 extractions in preparation for dentures, 7 of which had to be cut out because they were broken off at the gum line. I also had bone grafts done so I would have the option of dental implants if I decide to go that rout in the future. There was also infection in the sockets from so many abscesses, they had to scrape the sockets out. They were digging in my jaws for over 3 hours.

My freeking jaws and gums are so sore, I have not been able to eat much since Wednesday, and I have lost 3 or 4 pounds since then.

Thank God I have a Vitamix. I usually make a smoothie in the morning and have a fiber one bar with it, so I just threw the fiber one bar in the Vitamix and blended it up with my smoothie...haha.

I am just now starting to be able to eat very soft food, and the percocets help too... wooooohoooo.

I get impressions done in 2 weeks for the dentures, so I will probably have to walk around work with no teeth for about a month. I predict that my work buddy's are going to have a field day with me...:)

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That sounds rather traumatic

I wish you a speedy recovery

and ice cream :)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lol. Sorry but that made me laugh. My dh waited for several weeks for dentures because his dentist, like yours, felt it would result in better fitting dentures. He was so right. Dh was self conscious without teeth but really it was difficult to tell because the normal atrophy that eventually occurs was minimal during those waiting g weeks. Now he does look odd when he removes his upper denture. There was a comedienne called "Moms"
    Mably whose skit was made hilarious because she took out her dentures. Anyway what I remember most about this toothless episode of my husband's was when I suggested we go out to eat. He responded as if I were nuts. No way. See, I would forget he was without choppers because he just didn't look that different, but boy he was aware 24/7 of course.

I don't remember dh blending his food. Probably he ate soup, soft donuts or didn't eat. He's a thin guy who doesn't mind being hungry.

I hope you heal quickly.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend implants ASAP because otherwise you'll lose the bone that was holding the teeth over time.

Sorry to hear. That SUCKS. :(
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend implants ASAP because otherwise you'll lose the bone that was holding the teeth over time.

Sorry to hear. That SUCKS. :(

Yes. That is why I got the bone grafting done. They pack the sockets with grafting material so the bone will not shrink. This gives me the option to get the implants in the future. And if I don't feel i need the implants, the grafting will keep the dentures fitting better for years longer.