Aching muscles

Options
ashlinmarie
ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
Now, I know when you work out, your muscles are supposed to ache because they break down and have to repair themselves to become stronger. Over the past few days, though, I am in such agony, mostly around my core and lower back, that I can barely sit up (and even laying down hurts). My primary workout is cycling to and from work 5 miles per day and the only things that have changed since this has started was 1. I upped the intensity by riding at a higher gear and taking on a steeper hill on the way home. 2. Tried adding some different protein bars to my diet. 3. I became slightly dehydrated but have been doing everything in my power to drink more water. During this time, my weight loss has hit a standstill and I've actually gained back a few pounds.

Mostly, I'm just wondering if this is normal? I've never gone from being so out of shape to working this intensely before in my life so am I extra achy from that or should I cut back a little bit? If anyone has gone through something similar, input would be great. Especially if its nothing to worry about as I can't afford to go to the doctor over nothing.

Replies

• allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    eat a bananna and you'll be fine. It's probably normal ;)
  • phog007
    phog007 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Obviously at the end of the day it is a judgement call. I know that recovery from extreme lactic acid build up can be miserable, throw in a small strain or something and I can see your pain. (Although back makes me nervous a bit)

Typically, if loading up on ibuprofen or alleve won't touch it, then I would consider getting it checked out.

good luck...
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have gone through that before. I kept trying to push myself even though I was hurting and I shouldnt have, especially when it wasn't a good feeling pain, it was a really painful pain. I just recently spent tooooo much time on my elliptical I suppose, and my muscles in my ankles started feeling extrememly weak, like they were pulling tight when I'd bend my foot. I also somehow hurt my right knee 3 days ago and have no idea how.. I've barely been able to workout the last few days, I've only been doing crunches, and weights for my arms because I need to take a break from any leg workouts until it heals some. Trying soaking in a hot bath with a lot of epsom salts though! that always helps my lower back some! Epsom Salts help draw out soreness/bruising in muscles and gets rid of toxins in your body. Hope you feel better soon!!!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I do eat bananas in my smoothies at least 2-3 times a week and my excedrin back and body definitely helps. Just feels like my core is holding my body together, so maybe I'll just go back to a lower gear on my bike riding until I feel better again and if it doesn't get better in a week or two, I'll go see a doctor.