Favorite chocolate cake recipe?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
My husband's birthday is in a week and he wants a chocolate cake... Any recommendation?

Replies

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I like the Hershey chocolate cake, except I use hot coffee instead of hot water, buttermilk instead of milk and I add an extra egg. It goes great with beer buttercream frosting!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Pre-vegan, my fave was Dom DeLuise's from scratch death by chocolate. (There were 2 recipes in the book, one using a box, the other from scratch)

Right now, I am liking the chocolate Depression cake that has been making it's way around the net recently.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This one. It's a slightly modified version of the Hershey's cake. I like it better than the original. The frosting linked there is amazing too. Add extra espresso power to the frosting for an awesome mocha buttercream.

Edit, the link isn't posting right from my phone so here's the link text.
    http://addapinch.com/cooking/the-best-chocolate-cake-recipe-ever/
  • kristydi
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I like the Hershey chocolate cake, except I use hot coffee instead of hot water, buttermilk instead of milk and I add an extra egg. It goes great with beer buttercream frosting!

Beer buttercream? I'm intrigued. You have a recipe you could share?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    This one. It's a slightly modified version of the Hershey's cake. I like it better than the original. The frosting linked there is amazing too. Add extra espresso power to the frosting for an awesome mocha buttercream.

It's the one I was looking at! Thanks!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Recipegirl.com has a recipe for a Fudgy Kahlua Brownie with Brown Butter Icing. Not a cake, but amazing.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

I like to use the traditional Italian meringue butter cream. I use a stout beer instead of the water for the simple syrup. But you can also just reduce a bottle of beer (once again I like to use stout) till its thick and use it as the flavoring in the quick butter cream (butter powder sugar and milk).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    The less flour, the better, as far as I'm concerned. This only has 1/4 C. I made it for my sister's birthday a few years ago. It was amazing!

Chocolate-Raspberry Torte

ecbe6324fceacc80b2c3c638acecf2f3.png
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This is not a diet friendly cake, but I promise you won't be disappointed. I like to tort it with chocolate ganach and frost with chocolate swiss meringue buttercream

I should note it is best baked three days in advance. It is rather crumbly on day one, but if you wrap up the cake rounds and let it sit for two days on the counter it turns to dense fudge like cake, truly amazing.

Chocolate mud cake:

20cm round – Double quantity does 24cm round 2-1/2 inch deep

250g unsalted butter
    200g dark chocolate
    1 tablespoon instant coffee
    1-1/3 cups warm water
    1-1/2 cups self raising flour
    1 cup caster sugar
    1/4 cup cocoa
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS

1. Grease and line base and sides of cake pan with one thickness of baking paper, bringing paper 5cm above side of pan.
    2. Combine chopped butter, chopped chocolate, coffee, and water in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Cool 15 minutes. Transfer mixture to bowl of mixer.
    3. Add caster sugar to mixture and beat well until dissolved. Add sifted flour and cocoa, lightly beaten eggs and vanilla.
    4. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
    5. Bake at 150′C for 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Test with skewer. Cool cake

I make specialty cakes, and this is all anyone ever wants. It is a dense cake and does well covered in fondant and decorations as seen below (internal support required for stacking)

kqbrl5bneyqo.jpg
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

It's the one I was looking at! Thanks!

This it's very popular when I make it. It goes with any frosting, but I'm currently obsessed with chocolate chip cookie dough frosting. I made this cake with that frosting and also made it with a Swiss meringue buttercream that I mixed crushed Oreos into and both versions were great.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I use the Hershey's recipe too. The coffee sounds brilliant. I will definitely be trying that.
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Adding coffee to any chocolate cake recipe, even mix from the box in place of water will really enhance the chocolate flavour. I do it pretty much to every chocolate cake recipe I have.
  • kristydi
    Options

I like to use the traditional Italian meringue butter cream. I use a stout beer instead of the water for the simple syrup. But you can also just reduce a bottle of beer (once again I like to use stout) till its thick and use it as the flavoring in the quick butter cream (butter powder sugar and milk).

Awesome, thanks. I'm thinking one of these will be perfect for my home brewing brother's birthday cake.