Migraines

Options
How can I exercise when I suffer with severe migraine. This obviously is not helping my weight loss
Thanks

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Are your migraines exercise triggered? Are you under the care of a neurologist? What's your treatment protocol?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you're not seeing a neurologist I'd encourage you to find one. I was having 18 migraine days per month. Now I have around 9-10 and they're mostly controlled with medication.
  • toriraeh
    toriraeh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    About two years ago, I was having anywhere from 3 to 5 migraines per week. Between medication my neurologist prescribed and a healthier lifestyle, I can't tell you the last time I had one.

I will say this about exercise though, even a walk can help burn some extra calories and I know you don't feel like it when you're hurting BUT the release of tension from exercise actually usually HELPS most of my migraines. If I feel a headache coming on, I hit the gym before it gets too bad and it usually stops before it starts. Also, if I'm too sedentary, I have far more migraines than if I'm active.

It's all subjective and I second the other posters about seeing a neurologist but for me, activity has been one of the best things in practically curing my migraines.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have to get your migraines under control or you can't function, period. Exactly what other said - neurologist should help you. I tried to find my triggers, so if its something I can cut out (food), I avoid it. I have many triggers. One is dehydration, so please make sure you're drinking plenty of water - especially while working out. Only your Dr./Neurologist can help with treatment. I'm on a daily pill as a preventative and I have things I do when I get my migraines (2+/week). I have ice packs and use Icy Hot when needed. Essential oils can help. Good luck!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have to caution blanket recommendations for exercising with oncoming migraines. For some people, exertion is a further trigger.

I'm an odd duck in that mine can go either way with exercise and it's like rolling the dice. Some of my worst migraines have been exercise triggered. Some migraines that I've had brewing sort of petered out after exercising.

Saying that, I do recommend trying to work around one's migraines to exercise. It's definitely beneficial for migraine and everything else.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I used to have a severe migraine (hospitalized for up to 6 days!) About every 6 weeks. Since losing my weight and becoming more physically active, I am down to 1 in the last 8 months! I am now also down to PRN meds; no more daily meds or injections!
    Maybe plan your workout before your day begins...I go at 5:15am during the school year. Then, even if you develop symptoms, you have accomplished your goal! Or maybe concentrate on weight management for the time being and if you start to see a decrease in symptoms, slowly add in activity.
  • arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    (Sodium / Potassium) - I had migraines come & go for years... Headache medications were completely ineffective. They would last 3-4 days each time & eventually go away. I THINK that I've recently grasped the underlying cause, Too much sodium in my system & more importantly, not enough potassium. At the first sign of a migraine coming on now, I'll take a potassium supplement & try to focus on foods low in sodium & high in potassium. My migraines now are very minor & last 2-3 hours vs 3-4 days before...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Tbh migraines can be very individual and your post is lacking in detail which is most unhelpful.

Are you saying you get migraines before exercise and in general or the exercise is a cause of the migraines? Please provide more information about yourself the nature of your migraines and what exercise you are doing.

If you are suffering a severe migraine, then in most cases it is not possible to push through and its already too late. I do note someone has posted in their case exercise makes it better.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I had migraines for a couple of years of increasing severity. They stopped completely when I had my Mirena IUD (which contained progesterone) removed.

This info won't help everyone's migraines, but just maybe it might help someone.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm on the what did your neurologist say wagon. Mine were hormone related and controlled with medication.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Speak with your doctor. My triggers are as yet unknown and I suffer from traditional migraines and ocular migraines. I suspect my eye doctor will be referring me out to a neuropthamologist next time he sees me as my MRI came back inconclusive as to any possible cause of my migraines. For me there is no way I could exercise as my ocular migraines cause me to lose part of my vision, and my traditional migraines are usually accompanied by nausea. I take Imitrex, prescribed by my GP, at the onset of my migraines and that has a tendency to make my limbs feel weird (I have to take it and go to sleep). Seriously, they hit and I'm useless for the rest of the day.
  • extacymoon
    extacymoon Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the other posters. I too suffer from migraines and used to get them quit often. I was on daily medication and also had breakthrough pain meds. It had gotten to the point where I had no other options but Botox. I had went through all the meds out there with very little relief. Long story short I finally find out what was the trigger and now learn to deal with my condition. The only way to truly know what is going on is to see a neurologist. I fortunately have now been able to tackle my condition head on with very little meds, but I have to be careful of some of the positions I put my neck and head in. No one person can suggest safely what you should do. The only person that can do that is a doctor.
  • missanglang
    missanglang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had them for years and couldn't find a medication to control them. After being diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure I had to take steps to lose weight and be healthier because I wanted to be off the medication. My magnesium levels and potassium levels were very low and sugars/blood pressure very high. After eating healthier less processed foods and taking supplements for my low levels I went from 2 migraine free days a week to only having 4 migraines since October 2014. The weight came off over the last 8 months, the diabetes and blood pressure are now awesome but I noticed the decrease in migraines within the first few weeks.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Just curious - but were they diagnosed as migraines or are you using the term to describe a bad headache? I only ask because same people use the word migraine to describe any headache and they're not quite the same thing. If you're getting a bad headache (vs migraine) during or after exercise it may be due to dehydration or muscle strain and you'll need to look at rehydrating etc. I get migraines and I also dehydrate very quickly (as issue I'm working on) so a headache after exercise isn't uncommon but much easier to sort than the migraine.

With migraines I have found a bit of fresh air during a short walk helps if I catch it early enough - but usually have to take painkillers and sleep it off
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Are these migraines (or headaches?) related to eating less food? Do you have a very low calorie target? If so, increase your intake.