How long did it take you to get off BP meds?

Options
Not sure where to post this, but here it goes. One of my goals is to get off BP meds. I have been walking everyday (almost) for about a month now. My BP is lower than it has been in quite awhile.
On my meds I average 121/82. But I have been getting dizzy lately when I stand up. And the last couple of days I went on a hike. When ever I stopped to catch my breath I would get dizzy for a moment. And my BP has been like 114/70 the last few days. Is it time to talk to the Doc about lowering them? I have lost 7 1/2 lbs this month also.

So if you guys could tell me how long it took you to get off the meds (how much weight you lost and how much exerciser you were getting) that might help me out. Might give me an idea any way.

Thanks

Replies

• missanglang
    missanglang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs in 6 months. was working out 4 times a week before I was off of my blood pressure meds. I took my blood pressure reader with me and logged my readings several times a day including during and after workouts so I could present to my doctor what they were.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40lbs and mine have been cut in half. I was also getting light-headed. Hopefully by my next check up I can be completely off. Unfortunately, high BP runs in my family, so I may be stuck with the low dose forever.
  • lovechattys
    lovechattys Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. And good luck at your next appointment.
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    After losing 12# and being much more active, my meds were cut in half. That took me 3 months. The next month (two weeks ago) I got rid of them completely.

Each time I gained water weight due to missing the diuretic. I went up nine pounds after being off the pills. It's all gone except for 2 pounds.
  • 1966spen
    1966spen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Lost 21 lbs and off cholesterol medication but doc says may not be able to come off BP medication as runs in family and even if I lost more weight and got fitter it wouldn't help
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    1966spen wrote: »
    Lost 21 lbs and off cholesterol medication but doc says may not be able to come off BP medication as runs in family and even if I lost more weight and got fitter it wouldn't help

He may be right, but he may be completely wrong. Keep track of your bp. There is no reason to have blood pressures that are too low. If you have moments when you stand up and feel light headed and dizzy, it is a sign that you can handle a reduction in meds. Of course you need to do this under doctor supervision, hopefully with their approval:)
  • lovechattys
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. My insurance will kick in next month. I think a visit with the doc will be in order. I don't like the dizzy feeling I get almost every time I stand up. I still have a ways to go before I'm where I want to be (25-35 lbs) but I am excited to finally get there.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some people don't get off of them. If you are fat and/or eat a crappy diet, there's a higher chance you'll be on BP meds at some point and not get off of them. Some people do everything right their whole lives and still end up with problems, but most people who are on them contributed to it for many, may years.

They know that your diet and exercise plays a part, but they still haven't figured everything out - why some people do it all right and still have problems...why some people clean up their diet and exercise and can't get off...they just don't know.

There's not a time on it and the doctor has to say you might not get off of them because you might not! But you have a good shot and it's not too late to prevent things from getting worse. You might even stave off other things, keep it up!
  • SWellz
    SWellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Can you call your doctor rather than waiting a month? Depending on your relationship with your doctor, he/she may not charge you for a quick phone consult. Especially they are the person who prescribed this med and should be monitoring you for side effects.
    It sounds like you have orthostatic hypotension, the fancy name for blood pressure dropping with movement/standing up. This could be because of the changes in your body, and maybe you can get your dose reduced. However, you can also have orthostatic hypotension because of dehydration, so make sure you're keeping an eye on how much water you're drinking (especially if your antihypertensive is a combo product with a diuretic).
    Protip - When you get up from laying down, stay seated for a couple minutes and pump your legs before eventually standing up. Helps to raise your blood pressure.
  • lovechattys
    Options
    My Bp med is lisinopril, so no diuretic. And I have been drinking lots of water 6-8 water bottles a day. And my dr office will just tell me to come in if I want advice. If it gets worse I obviously will go in sooner but I think I can wait till my insurance kicks in. Thanks for the advice everyone.