Help with childhood fav...jumping rope!

Options
Ok so i haven't done this since i was about 8 years old and I really want to give it a go! I have a cool skipping rope that counts calories etc... and I know its really good for cardio and I'm hoping that it will help with my running, but I tried today and struggled through 3 minutes before finally collapsing on my kitchen floor! Where do I start and how can I make sure I last longer than 3 minutes?!?!

Replies

• Sc4ever
    Sc4ever Posts: 33
    Options
    Forgot I bought a jump rope a while back might try it out....I think its like everything else got to build a tolerance to it
    Keep practicing.....Im sure you can do it

PS Last time I did try to jump rope thought my bladder was going to fall out lol :noway:
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to do a few extra minutes everyday. Take it slow.
  • jennnny
    jennnny Posts: 65
    Options
    Jumping rope is an EXCELLENT work out! They say jumping rope for 10 minutes is the equivalent of running like 4 miles or something crazy! I think the only way to get better is just by doing it more and more. Practice makes perfect! Just keep it up and I'm sure you'll be able to jump for longer and longer.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • kezzieh
    kezzieh Posts: 25
    Options
    Ha ha, yes i know the feeling. I had a baby 9 weeks ago so I'm taking it easy!! Jelly belly wobbles loads!!

Thanks for the site I will definately check that out. Going to give it another go tomorrow. Perhaps try 4 minutes......mmmm!
  • kezzieh
    Options
    Sc4ever let me know how you get on with it! Lol could start a jump rope challenge....could be a slow one!
  • kezzieh
    Options
    Just out of interest....!

The effort it takes to jump rope for ten minutes is the equivalent of running a mile in eight minutes.

Thirty minutes of skipping is as good for your heart and weight loss effort as running a couple of miles. One hour of rope skipping will rid you of 1,300 calories.
  • mattiexox
    mattiexox Posts: 42
    Options
    Intervals!!! I used to do 20/10 second tabata intervals for 4 minutes, then worked my way up to 8 minutes, 12 minutes, etc. It's a lot easier because there's a rest period :) OR I just give myself a certain number of skips to complete, like 100 or 200 or whatever.