Whole30 anyone?

Options
Anyone have any thoughts on Whole30? I've been slacking in logging but I know I've been eating well and staying active and the weight loss is crawling. Also, the bloating from my colitis is ouuuuut of control! Any feedback would be so appreciated!

Also, I am a type 1 insulin dependent (infusion pump wearing) diabetic with hypothyroid (hashimotos) and colitis, as I've mentioned. I've already been gluten free for over a year because it is my number one colitis trigger food.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I think that incorporating more whole foods into your diet is a great idea. However, Whole 30 is pretty restrictive. Many people don't do very well following a list of foods that you can/can't eat. Why not just try to get more fruits/veggies into your diet?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I gained weight while doing the whole30 because I wasn't counting calories.... Are you still going to be logging while you do it?
  • michellinademarco
    michellinademarco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes Id still be counting and logging
  • jenniferp04
    jenniferp04 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Im a few days in to Whole30 and feel awesome. They say you arent supposed to track calories because the whole idea behind it is changing your perspective and relationship with food. You just have to be smart about it. For example just because certain foods are approved doesnt mean you should eat large amounts of high fat meat, tons of sugary fruit or mounds of almond butter. I limit myself to a healthy balanced breakfast (usually eggs and a meat), a midafternoon snack (usually some fruit), a sensibly balanced lunch (protein, complex carb, vegetable), a midafternoon snack (turkey roll ups or vegetables) and dinner (more veggies and a lean protein). So far so good on my end! Ive logged the past 2 days just to see what my cal count is, but now that I see its in the same range as it normally is I probably wont be logging every day for the remainder. I want the full experience. Best of luck!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I think that incorporating more whole foods into your diet is a great idea. However, Whole 30 is pretty restrictive. Many people don't do very well following a list of foods that you can/can't eat. Why not just try to get more fruits/veggies into your diet?

^ This lady speaketh the truth.
  • carynm5
    carynm5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first Whole30 and it's the best decision I've ever made. While I had ruled it out in the past because I thought it would be too restrictive, once I started I found it very easy to follow. It's all about balance (protein + carbs + fat)...just include each with each meal. There are tons of delicious (and easy) recipes out there. But more important than the food itself was my ability to take a serious look at my psychological addiction to food and coming to understand that eating whole foods makes me feel good about my choices and provides me with a ton of energy and a more upbeat mood overall. For as long as I can remember I reached for unhealthy food choices for comfort when I was stressed, sad, angry or even happy. But there was a line in the book that really resonated with me: "When has a cupcake ever made you feel truly accomplished, comforted, calm or beautiful?" In the last 34 days I've broken some terrible habits (including a dependence on the scale to measure my success) and I feel healthier than I have in years. I also feel a great sense of pride that I'm making my health a priority. And as an added bonus, I've lost 16.5 pounds. I realize Whole30 isn't for everyone but for me it's been amazingly eye-opening and rewarding.