lol, mfp calorie count is so off...

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    When I edit an entry to correct it, I add my initials to it as well. That way, the next time I need it from the database, I know which one's right. ;)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    am i the only one who makes my own personal entries for everything and just doesn't add them to the shared database? For meats i use USDA same with veggies, everything else i use the nutritional label and just make my own so i have the option of grams as a weight for all my entries.

No, I've seen a few people do the same thing.

I have an...extension, I think, that's installed on Chrome that shows number of user confirmations in the results list. I pick one with the highest confirmations, check nutrition info, and usually that one matches what I have. If it doesn't have grams for serving size options, I just do the math and put in the ratio.

Means my diary is loaded with things like 0.65 servings of 1 cup or something similar but whatever. I've tried editing entries and then I can't find them again so I don't spend the time anymore.

~Lyssa
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    rushfive wrote: »
    I wonder if NO is hit a number of times the entry is removed? ex. no is hit 10times they remove the entry.
    otherwise what is the point of NO.

Let's find out. Someone pick out a ridiculous entry, and let's all go hit "No" a few times.

Didn't you get prompted to edit it if you clicked on No? Or did they change that with the update?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I did get prompted. And I did change it (just a couple of minutes ago).

If others are still seeing a "tomato" serving size, it would imply we're all using different versions of the database. Weeee....
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    When I edit an entry to correct it, I add my initials to it as well. That way, the next time I need it from the database, I know which one's right. ;)
    Good idea. It used to be pretty easy to differentiate entries on the desktop but now that the asterisks are gone this could prove useful.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    You click the no and then you get the option to edit. I think that's all it does.

I'm a bad MFP'er then because I bypass and go to the next entry hehe

I always fix it because once you do, when you search, your corrected entry is the first one to come up - makes it easier for me. But I've too much time on my hands. So.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You click the no and then you get the option to edit. I think that's all it does.

I always fix it because once you do, when you search, your corrected entry is the first one to come up - makes it easier for me. But I've too much time on my hands. So.

I did not realize that. It'd probably be faster to fix then make a whole new entry for myself (as another poster mentioned above). I'm all about fast.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Yup! Many times an entry is correct, except it's measured in cups or whatever, and I want it in grams. So I just change that portion of the entry and then it works for me. Under the "Reason for edit," I always put "Corrected for grams."
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I did not realize that. It'd probably be faster to fix then make a whole new entry for myself (as another poster mentioned above). I'm all about fast.

LOL yeah my way isn't for everyone, im 29, live alone, no kids and self efficient cats, i gots time LOL

I do do it your way. Now I might switch :)
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options

Good idea... now I will look for sc (?) after entry.
    I also look at the ones with most confirmations.
    When I add one I don't add it to the data base. Most of mine are personal recipes anyway.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Now I can just blame MFP for my thyroid problems.

Moar Unicorn Poop cookies!!!
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Yeah, the edit w/ initials things is brilliant. I'll have to start doing that.

The thing that sucks though, is once you edit, you can't edit again. And once I put that something had 79g of protein and it totally didn't. Sorry for whoever used that!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't let me complete an edit if I just try to change the serving to grams. :/
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    MFP doesn't let me complete an edit if I just try to change the serving to grams. :/

You have to make sure, at the bottom, you've given a reason for the edit. If you already know this - sorry!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    no wonder people get stuck on "thyroid issues" here so often,

the calorie and portioning is so off....

Chicken breast- VERIFIED!!!! shows 110cal/100gram of chicken, not only that, but default option that comes up is (1/2 cup diced/minced), lol @ fingers dicing chicken on cutting board. unbeliveable. go by the USDA values at least for SUCH A BASIC item.

edit: real chicken has 164 calories/100gram , skinless, boneless

I don't know what kind of chicken you have but any raw chicken I ever had was 110-120 per 100 grams skinless.

Yep. The package I use says 110 cals for 112g of raw boneless skinless chicken breasts. I mostly use boneless skinless chicken thighs which are 120 cals for 112g - the brand I buy, anyway. Most of the time I verify nutrition info using the package. Whole foods I just grab the MFP official entry, which can usually be identified due to like a dozen different serving size options. Of recent, most of the serving sizes are absolutely useless, like 13ml or something. But that has the added bonus of making the MFP entries easy to spot...
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Being off on the values for a tomato is pretty different than being off on values for something calorie dense. I don't sweat it on fruits and vegetables - if logging is consistent (even if it's consistently off) one can still adjust food intake up or down to achieve desired results.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks janel, I didn't know this about all the serving sizes are mfp entries.