Peoples thoughts on IF

Options
I have now done 5 20 hour fasts in the last week. I have been testing the effects of such an eating schedule, and i have found it considerably easy (been on keto for a while so fat adapted) and interesting.
whats everyones thoughts and results from any IF protocol for weight loss, muscle gain or any goal you had?
Also wanted to know, If one fasted 20 hours a day, and is fat adapted(we can presume body fat is being burned for these 20 hours) does this equate to greater fat loss than someone not using the protocol, yet eating the same cals? I know CICO deturmines weight loss, but using body fat as a fuel during a fast must equate to some weight loss benefit

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Whats the point?
    Whats the advantage?

Seems illogical to me that fasting=fat burning. If your eating at a 500 cal deficit either through 3 meals over a day or by fasting for 20 hours sounds the same to me.

I seem to lose just fine with 3 meals a day and the longest time between meals is like 11 hours including my time asleep.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No, fasting does not mean you will burn more fat.

It comes down to a caloric deficit... not being fat adapted or fasting.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    CICO doesn't really determine weight loss, it's post hoc energy accounting that shows the energy flows that resulted from your body's physical and chemical activity.

Your prolonged fast, and previous carb restriction, would maximise the proportion of your energy derived from fat. If you kept the amount of food energy the same you need to work through the two alternatives to know whether this is better than the alternative. Calories out is not a constant.

ADF and other IF studies do show different outcomes from the same energy intake, in at least some cases. It isn't crystal clear.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Whats the point?
    Whats the advantage?

Seems illogical to me that fasting=fat burning.

The energy comes from somewhere, if fasted the somewhere is reserves - glycogen and fat. In prolonged fasting, or carbohydrate restriction, then more fat than anything. There isn't a great deal of glycogen stored in the liver in terms of hours fuel.

See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22414/ for explanation better than I can manage.

• DaliaMaria1173
    DaliaMaria1173 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have now done 5 20 hour fasts in the last week. I have been testing the effects of such an eating schedule, and i have found it considerably easy (been on keto for a while so fat adapted) and interesting.
    whats everyones thoughts and results from any IF protocol for weight loss, muscle gain or any goal you had?
    Also wanted to know, If one fasted 20 hours a day, and is fat adapted(we can presume body fat is being burned for these 20 hours) does this equate to greater fat loss than someone not using the protocol, yet eating the same cals? I know CICO deturmines weight loss, but using body fat as a fuel during a fast must equate to some weight loss benefit

IF works for some, but makes other people binge eat later. Know your body. I IF in the morning. Basically, I skip breakfast most days, having only a cup of coffee with fatty cream and/or coconut milk/oil.

For me, I do it because I'm never particularly hungry in the morning and my appetite is greatest (too great) in the evening. Even if I eat breakfast. So, skipping it saves me a few calories for later. Also, I have an extensivr family history of type 2 diabetes, and IF is one way of increasing insulin sensitivity.

For others, IF means they get ravenous and then binge. Some women's hormones get messed up on IF.

Know your body. Find what works for YOU.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    If it works for you fine as some people find it stops craving at certain points. But it's not some miracle fat/weightloss thing.