Anyone else have this poor mentality

Options
When I eat bad (which is pretty much everyday) when it comes time to go to the gym I'm like what's the point, no amount of exercise can help the damage I've done calorie wise and then I sit in front of the TV.....

So I know that thinking is completely wrong. I guess I'm going to have to some how get myself out of bed at 4am to workout before I have a chance to ruin my day with food.

Replies

• Kman4evah
    Kman4evah Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I feel that way sometimes too, I think a lot of people feel that way at one point or another.
    What will separate you from the rest of the crowd is pushing past that feeling and getting to the gym to work out. Once you get there and start on it, you'll feel a lot better.
    Good luck!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    missymi07 wrote: »
    ...when it comes time to go to the gym I'm like what's the point, no amount of exercise can help the damage I've done calorie wise...

Even if that were true, exercise will still make you stronger, give you more endurance, and improve your mood. Its benefits go far beyond weight loss. Even when I was obese, I exercised regularly and felt a lot better because of it.

And even if you can't exercise away all the calories that you ate beyond your daily goal, you can make up for some of them, certainly more than watching TV takes.
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    missymi07 wrote: »
    ...when it comes time to go to the gym I'm like what's the point, no amount of exercise can help the damage I've done calorie wise...

Even if that were true, exercise will still make you stronger, give you more endurance, and improve your mood. Its benefits go far beyond weight loss. Even when I was obese, I exercised regularly and felt a lot better because of it.

And even if you can't exercise away all the calories that you ate beyond your daily goal, you can make up for some of them, certainly more than watching TV takes.

This^^
  • criscat
    criscat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I recorded myself on my phone saying "get up fatty" in a really snarky way, and use it as my alarm for wake-up and gym. It works so well...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Break the cycle.
    Go to the gym, not only so you can earn extra calories, but to get stronger, have less stress and feel better.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Get something you can workout in front of the TV. So yeah you can be in front of the TV while feeling sorry for yourself. But you'll be working out :bigsmile:
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Its a vicious cycle, been there done that. Do something walk, go to the gym, etc. Activity can help break the cycle of poor food choices. But you still have to plan your meals in advance and know what you are going to eat for the day. Sunday is a good day to go to the grocery and stock up on food and throw out the stuff that's in the house that you don't want. Break the cycle or before you know it.....you'll be old before your time.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Get something you can workout in front of the TV. So yeah you can be in front of the TV while feeling sorry for yourself. But you'll be working out :bigsmile:
    I do this sometimes. I don't want to feel like a couch potato, so I put my little rebounder in the living room, turn on my favorite show, and bounce during commercial breaks! I got a treadmill for my birthday this year, and sometimes I read while walking, burns more than reading on the couch. My other suggestion would be to find an activity you like and plan it into your day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Do the exercise for your health, not your weight loss. Try focusing on your health with the food, too.

It's easy to say, "I don't care; I want to be fat today." It's much harder to say, "I don't care; I want to end up in a hospital bed later." :) I don't know how young you are. I know that when you're 25, it's really hard to think of yourself as 45, much less 60. But you're going to be those ages and what you do now affects the person you'll be later. So, do her a favor and focus on your health now. She will thank you later. :)

It helps a lot with weight loss if you focus on your health and let the losing be a happy consequence. IMO. :)
  • Ioras88
    Ioras88 Posts: 57 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    At my fitness club they told us that an exercised muscle still burns calories even if you're not actively doing something.
    Since I have no idea if such things are true or not, let's just say it is: Going to the gym benefits you, even if you ate a 'bad' meal. So, if it's time to go to the gym (assuming you have a schedule or something), simply go. :)