Where to start after muscle strain?

Options
MusicalMelanie11
MusicalMelanie11 Posts: 71 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey friends!

I'm recovering from what I believe to be a muscle strain in my right forearm. The pain has been gone since yesterday, but I'm afraid to jump headfirst back into something that might reinjure it, just in case it isn't really 100% yet. I injured it last wednesday. My muscles were extremely tight from a kettlebell workout the day before, and I think I had not stretched enough afterward. Cutting up a couple of apples was enough to strain it, which is just a bit sad. (Just to be clear, I did not injure myself during the workout. It definitely happened the day after.) I have made a mental note to stretch a lot more before and after.

Anywho, I added kettlebell originally to have some strengthening exercise on the days I am not doing C25k, but obviously I have not picked it up since I strained that muscle. Now that my arm is feeling better, I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for exercises that will build up my arm strength gradually? I feel like jumping straight back into kettlebell workouts is probably not a good idea, but I'd like to work my way up to that.

Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome!

Edit: Since the injury, I've been doing some bodyweight squats and lunges on the days I don't jog. I would just like to work my arms as well. I have some ankle weights that can be worn around the wrists, although they were given to me by a friend, and I don't know how heavy they are. I also have some small 3 pound weights. Maybe I should start by just doing push ups and planks, etc?

Thanks!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it was a muscle strain and not DOMS? If it was DOMS i'd say you're set to go back and start doing it again.
  • MusicalMelanie11
    MusicalMelanie11 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Are you sure it was a muscle strain and not DOMS? If it was DOMS i'd say you're set to go back and start doing it again.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't DOMS, but I did think about it!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Given what you have described and the very quick recovery I'd be inclined to believe DOMS as well.

Worst case, I'd deload your next workout a bit and make sure it's fine. If so, then continue as normal.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Yeah, scale back a bit and work back up. I've screwed up my joints a few times (arthritic blah blah) and that's how I got past it.