Hangover after Sugar/Carbs binge WTF?!

Options
Yesterday I went all out on desserts and chocolate at a family get-together. Ate 1200 calories in mainly protein and veggies through out the day and then released the kraken and ate about 2500 calories worth of blueberry tart, icecream and chocolate.

I had planned to go on a dessert binge at my family dinner so I don't feel guilty or regret it as I made it fit with my PMS cravings and been losing weight (respecting calorie allowance + low carb/protein/veggies diet).

This morning I woke up with a bigass hangover (super slow, le tired, bloated, body feels sore) whereas yesterday I only drank 1 small glass of sparkling wine and 1 glass of rosé wine. What the heck is going on?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Whenever you eat something that different from what you usually do, you can feel different the next day -- esp if it is 2500 calories of carbs on a normally low-ish carb diet.
    Get back on your plan today. You will probably feel better by tomorrow.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    clariemoo wrote: »
    and then released the kraken and ate about 2500 calories worth of blueberry tart, icecream and chocolate.

That's a lot of Sweet treats! Lol
    But if you enjoyed eating them, then it's no worries.
    Just eat smarter for the next few days, drink more water and move on.
    Exercise will probably help you feel better as well.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I get a food coma going if I overeat any food type

A huge lunch can mean a bloated feeling for evening workout.

Not good

• wildflowerherbal
    wildflowerherbal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I get the same, sugar makes me crazy for 2 days. Carbs make me grumpy. I think I have some sort of hypoglycemic thing or similar.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Ive heard of it before! If I eat too much sugar sweet it makes me sleepy.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    yeast ?
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a sugar crash to me. It's normal.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I got that yesterday morning after about 600 calories of sugary loveliness. I didn't even go over goal for the day. I could easily have eaten that much before my eating habits changed without any 'hangover'
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I have sugar daily and I've never had it happen.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    clariemoo wrote: »
    Yesterday I went all out on desserts and chocolate at a family get-together. Ate 1200 calories in mainly protein and veggies through out the day and then released the kraken and ate about 2500 calories worth of blueberry tart, icecream and chocolate.

I had planned to go on a dessert binge at my family dinner so I don't feel guilty or regret it as I made it fit with my PMS cravings and been losing weight (respecting calorie allowance + low carb/protein/veggies diet).

This morning I woke up with a bigass hangover (super slow, le tired, bloated, body feels sore) whereas yesterday I only drank 1 small glass of sparkling wine and 1 glass of rosé wine. What the heck is going on?

You ate too much food and had alcohol. It's not really the sugar- it's the sheer volume of food is my guess. You're probably a little dehydrated and retaining water. When I used to binge this would happen.

My skin would even hurt, more headaches, obviously bloated. I could binge on bread, chicken, cake-didn't matter. I got the "binge hangover" . Add in a little alcohol and you've really screwed yourself! Maybe next time fit in a more moderate treat more often, rather than a junk explosion on one night. Just my 2 cents
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I have sugar daily and I've never had it happen.

Its because you are eating it every day. And probably not 2500 calories worth....
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you have a yeast overgrowth within your intestinal flora, it is possible for it to ferment sugars and carbs into alcohol. There have been documented cases of people with this condition who become downright intoxicated from carbs, to the point where their breath even smells of alcohol even though they did not have any alcohol. All the fermentation happened in the gut. It's called gut fermentation syndrome. I'm not saying you have it as it is rare (yeast overgrowth is common) but you might want to look into weather you might have a yeast overgrowth issue making you feel hungover after having a lot of sugar.
    http://file.scirp.org/Html/1-2100535_33912.htm
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Ya, I can count on getting sick if I have lots of desserts at a family gathering.