Best way to join a gym - online/in person

Options
I've never been a gym goer and have used DVDs/jogging/biking. Since moving to a new city where I don't know anybody I want to join a gym to at least get out of the apartment every evening.

Should I just join online or should I go in person? If in person can I just join at the front desk or is there a special 'membership' person I need to meet with. Am I likely to get a better deal in person or online?

Thanks.

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If it was me, I'd check them out in person. This way you can get a feel for the place. Ask about any joining promotions at the same time.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Ps, congrats on your awesome choice to join a gym!!!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Yes, go there.
    Get a tour of the place, meet the staff, etc.
    try to go at a time you are most likely to work out yourself so you can see how busy it is, and what kind of people are there. Just to see if you are comfortable.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You're going to go there to train so why wouldn't you go there to sign up? If it's too difficult to get there to sign up, it's not a good sign for your future training plans...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As you are new then id go in person. Eah gym has a different character and the value of checking it out in person is that you cna look around, get a feel for the atmosphere, ask questions and see how friendly the staff are. You calos get to look at the equipment, see how busy it is and the clientele. Some of these are hard to see from a website.

I always go and look around and ask myself if I cna imagine going there x times a week.

As for best deal, then look online and compare it with what they offer you there. id say they dont vary that much, but google deals for the place online , especially for chains.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Every gym with which I'm familiar will give prospective members a tour of the facilities, explain services and fees, and answer questions. Some will give a free or cheap day pass so you can try out things yourself.

Read over any contract that you sign very carefully. Many gyms advertise monthly prices, but contracts often require an annual commitment, or at least a significant penalty for canceling membership before the year is over. There is often a nonrefundable initiation fee for new members. Some gyms include classes or personal training as part of the membership; at others, they cost extra. In order to truly compare prices, you need to have some idea of what services you will want.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, go in person. Pictures on the Internet can be taken from clever angles to make things look better than they are.
    Also if you go in person, you can talk to someone, have a tour maybe you can discuss what you want to get out of going to the gym with a trainer and what kind of other options the place has to offer.

Hope you find a gym that you are happy with and keep getting out :)
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I joined 24 hour fitness because I wanted 24/7 access, so I bought a 2year membership at Costco to save 50% on the cost.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would think you would want to visit in person...probably multiple gyms too. Different gyms have different vibes and clientele.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Go in person- get a free week pass and then make a choice.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    I'd rather go online. Around here, some of these gym representatives are like car salesmen and use pressure tactics that I don't care for. I could see some advantages of checking them out in person first, though.
  • mirlredmann
    mirlredmann Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I moved to my new place I first looked online and found four gyms, they all were round about the same: distance from home, cost, facilities. The first didn't care at all whether I felt well or not, had no daylight, was dirty, staff went straight to all the extras they offer and wanted to make me sign a contract immediately, it was - even though the closest and cheapest - the worst choice over all, one was only looking good online, completely worn down, one populated entirely by men, made me feel uncomfortable, the fourth was super friendly, clean, well equipped, they offered me a free trial phase, have regular one on one coaching sessions included in the price, even though their opening hours are too short and it is the farthest from my home I am totally glad I went to look at all of them personally...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Go in person- get a free week pass and then make a choice.

Yep. Even if you have to pay for a short term membership, this could be really beneficial because you may not truly know how you feel about the place until you actually use it. Very important if the gym has a one year contract requirement or some such