Gastric surgery

Options
Is there anyone out there who has a large amount of weight to loose, and I mean BIG..........like 140lbs plus? I just wonder if being slimmer is achievable? I have been offered gastric surgery and I'm just not sure that this is the way to go. HELP. x

Replies

• fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It is a very personal choice and one you need to thnk about quite a bit.

I did have gastric bypass 4 1/2 years ago. Lost over 200 pounds. I have pics on my profile. You may need to add me as a freind to see them but feel free to do so.

I can say...for me it was the best thing I ever did. I now have a 9 month old baby (at the ripe old age of 39) that I would not have had if it weren't for losing so much weight. I am now working on losing the "baby weight" and almost there. Plus I would like to lose 25 more on top of it. If I don't no biggie. My profile pic is me at 175 (started at 397!) and wearing a size 10. I will be happy there but would one day love to see 150. May be possible may not. I do have a lot of skin and that alone the surgeon told me is probably 20 pounds.

In all...I now live life instead of letting it pass me by.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Gastric bypass surgery is quackery. I know a person that had it done and was still morbidly obese. If a person can't control what they put in there mouth then they need to to start learning self discipline. When society accepts this as a weight loss cure alternative we are in big trouble. I don't think it should be done on anybody for any reason. Our body is of perfect design.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Gastric bypass surgery is quackery. I know a person that had it done and was still morbidly obese. If a person can't control what they put in there mouth then they need to to start learning self discipline. When society accepts this as a weight loss cure alternative we are in big trouble. I don't think it should be done on anybody for any reason. Our body is of perfect design.

When you have walked in that person's shoes then come back here and say this again. We all choose our own paths. What is most important is that we get healthier even if your path is different from mine.

GBS is NOT a cure all. It is a TOOL to help someone who may have tried everything else out there. If the bdy was of such perfect design would any of us be here ?

In the end YOU still have to decide what you eat and how to live your life. You cannot have surgery and expect it to be the end. Youy will still have to eat properly and move more. Surgery was mearly the tool that helped me get control over what I ate and as I lost weight was able to move more.
  • Nomoreplus_sizes
    Nomoreplus_sizes Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery 9 years ago this month. I truly believe had I not, I'd probably be dead right now. I was 15 5 foot even and weighed 415lbs. Let's not get into blaming others (parents, family, school) because in the end it really was my own doing and little childhood trauma. I admit that I didn't want to have it at first, I was very young and my parents mostly (about 70%) made the decision for me. I felt like a failure for having to have surgery, like I was cheating somehow but with maturity comes realization. I'm not sure I could've lost that weight in time. I wouldn't have been able to go to senior prom or go off to college, I was sleeping with oxygen before my surgery. I couldn't have afford to fly, I don't even need an extender anymore. I'm still "morbidly obese" but I've kept off 150lbs and I've gained tools to help lose the last 150.

But it's not a panacea and I know of at least 1 person who now almost 10 years later weighs more than they did before they had their surgery. I know of another who ended up underweight, saying all this to say everybody's different. One friend of mine was planning to have it, started doing all the pre-surgery prep and realised he could lose it on his own. So he decided not to have it and he lost 100lbs. Some people have for the wrong reasons, one person confessed that they put rolls of quarters in their underwear because they were just short of the 100lb overweight mark. As I write this it seems like I know alot of people who have had WLS, but then again it has been almost a decade. If you ever have any questions or just want to talk let me know!
    -DK
  • lyndsaysutton82
    Options
    I've got 200 or so lbs to loose, and while I've been given the option, I think I'd rather try doing things the old fashioned (even if it's harder) way before resulting to those extremes. I actually just had the discussion with my doctor today, and realized (this is for me) that a quick fix isn't the right thing. I need to change my lifestyle, and my eating style or the surgery would only be a temporary solution to my problem.

Is it easy? No. But knowing that I'm able to do this without going through that will mean the most, and will make it even more important to keep the weight off.
  • Steph_Marie29
    Options
    I just had gastric bypass surgery on the 17th of this month. A lot of people don't understand that it isn't a quick fix. It's a tool. You won't lose or keep the weight off unless you try. I was over 500lbs at one point. I'm now down in the 300s