Scale goes up and down.

Options
I have been logging for about a month now ( starting weight 230lbs) and I was weighing in recently at 224.2 but now my scale seems to keep going right back up.

I log faithfully most of the time over estimating what I've eating and excersizing, plus my job is phisically demanding.

I was curious if this is normal or am I doing something wrong. I'm really frustrated and it seems like my clothes are tighter than when they were when I started. It's driving me nuts.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's normal daily fluctuations, UNLESS you are not logging accurately. Are you using a food scale?
  • dannierae93
    dannierae93 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I typically use measuring cups but don't fill them all the way up and I weigh the same time everyday first thing in the morning so I didn't think it should change so much.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I typically use measuring cups but don't fill them all the way up and I weigh the same time everyday first thing in the morning so I didn't think it should change so much.

NO no no no....Get a food scale. Cups aren't accurate.
  • dannierae93
    Options
    I'll have to invest in one I guess.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I'll have to invest in one I guess.

Decent ones can be had for $20-$30. Very small investment. If you go to Walmart though, stay away from the Mainstays brand, just a bad design (defaults to ounces, button is on the bottom).
  • Kman4evah
    Kman4evah Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Invest in a food scale. I have yet to do it and I'm kicking myself for it haha.
    Also, if you're having MFP set your calories, maybe lower the activity level a notch?
    And it's only been a month. Don't kick yourself so hard, the body fluctuates a little. Check it again in another month and it should definitely be lower :)
    Good luck!
  • dannierae93
    Options
    I have my activity level as sedentary. I have a 1200 calories allotment.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    the food scale has already been covered..

do you eat back 100% of exercise calories?
    are you using correct MFP database entries?
  • dannierae93
    Options
    I don't typically eat any of my excerize calories back. Sometimes I do if my stomach is rumbling but not usually. I try to eat things that come with one serving so I know exactly how many calories it is but I love fruits and salads and that's what I measure with my cups. I try and pick things that have been verified but that's not always an option.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Could a monthly hormonal issue be making itself known?

Read over this chart, just to check everything.

mp1x7iy0eoht.jpg
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes,,it's normal. Scales fluctuate all the time, up and down, especially for women. If you have a lot of weight to lose, I would suggest getting used to it. Don't jump up and down too high when it goes down and don't get upset when it goes up.

As long as you keep seeing a new low now and then, you're losing. And that's progress! :)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
  • ladycoy
    ladycoy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ive been logging and weighing for two weeks and got all excited at losing 2lb after the first week. ive been really good, eating clean as possible and stepped on the scale...boom up again... disappointed.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Without a food scale, you food measurements are likely very very off. Start by weighing everything
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Without a food scale, you food measurements are likely very very off. Start by weighing everything

and dont go by measuring cups and spoons and serving sizes. They can be way off.
    Weigh ALL your solid food on a food scale ( like the video shows you) and measure you liquids.

• sarahalldrick
    sarahalldrick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So glad I read this thought it was just me ! Weighing scales now on the shopping list
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    So glad I read this thought it was just me ! Weighing scales now on the shopping list

+1 you got this!

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Could a monthly hormonal issue be making itself known?

Read over this chart, just to check everything.

mp1x7iy0eoht.jpg

I love this chart.