Food addiction- anyone else?

Options
2»

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Personally i dont like when people compare binge eating disorder to their lack of self control.
    If you are concerned, talk to your doctor, don't self diagnose.

We weren't talking about Binge Eating Disorder. We are talking about "food addiction".

I am a (recovering) binge eater, and the food does not control me, I control me. I dont believe in food addiction, I believe in eating disorders, bad habits, and f*cked up coping strategies.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    @rainbowbow - I have a psychiatrist and a therapist. I am on anxiety medication. I was looking for others dealing with the same issue. This has been diagnosed in a clinical setting and I am seeking therapy- I was just hoping to find others dealing with the same issue. I also participate in AA and OA.

I also take anxiety meds, and I find the process of overeating to be really soothing. Which sucks, BTW. But it isnt because the food is inherently addictive (like nicotine) its because somewhere along the line I equated feeling very full with feeling very calm.
  • elleelise
    elleelise Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was previously "addicted" to sweets and suffered from Binge Eating Disorder. Life was hell for 20 years, since 4th grade.

The only way out of that dark tunnel is surrendering to the foods you are subconsciously villainizing and giving yourself open permission to eat as you crave while learning to love your body AS IS (yes, the fat included). It is a slow, hard process (much more challenging that doing a diet or calorie counting, especially for someone who was always on the diet cycle, binging and purging). I worked with an intuitive eating counselor, did a LOT of soul searching, gained weight and made peace with it, found contentment and lost fear around food, ate what I wanted, challenged societal conventions, and now, have a peaceful relationship with food. It IS possible.

When you begin to love yourself unconditionally as-is, you will start to crave foods that nourish you. You will WANT to move around and exercise (not simply to burn calories). Intention and expectation are at the heart of everything.

I have finally come full circle. I love myself, I don't crave sweets (why should I when I can eat them whenever I want?). I have started with a deficit and daily movement and am down 10 pounds. I have no destination or timeline in mind. I am happy in the process at this moment, and that's the difference. I am 231 pounds and I love each one of those. I don't need to be smaller to be happier. I don't need to hit a goal on the scale to feel validated. I don't need sweets to drown out the self hate.

Dig deep. It's possible to get out of that hole, but you won't get out with a diet or restrictive eating.
  • runner1234b
    runner1234b Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My advice is schedule things that you know will change what and how much you eat. For example a gym class at lunch or a movie at night out of the house. If you have things to do you won't binge or want to go out knowing you feel awful. It's about finding purpose.

Also start slimming down your variety of foods.. Take away the options. The limited variety makes the cravings go away and brands your taste buds. Too much variety creates addiction. Kid in a candy shop=want all.