NOT LOSING A OUNCE!!!

Options
I started cutting back on my food intake in January and have lost 20 pounds. But now I find it very hard to eat 1200 calories a day. And have not lost anything for weeks. When entering my food it keeps saying I am putting my body into starvation mode. But I don't know what to do at this point I am not hungry and find it hard to eat 1200 calories. Could not eating the 1200 calories be why I am not losing any more weight? I am getting frustrated. I don't exercise but I do walk daily for at least a half hour to a hour.

Replies

• lifeinpink09
    lifeinpink09 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well, the walking is an exercise. You need to change the foods you're eating in order to optimize weight loss and intensify your work outs. The same plan that worked for you 20 lbs ago is no longer gonna fly. Sry chica!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Exactly, you need to eat to lose. 1200 isn't a magic number but in general you need to give your body the fuel to exist or it's gonna hold on to all it has to survive the famine.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Probably, and if you're not hungry its a sign that your metabolism is slowing down. Add in another snack or something during the day, more fruits or veggies or protein. I love greek yogurt since it's filling and has lots of protein. But if you're not losing, try adding 100 calories at a time per day for a week each and see if it helps.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    it also makes a difference WHAT your eating. if you are eating only 900 calories of junk, then you won't lose/ or you will and it will be muscle that you have now and you will be flabby :) eat enough protein, veggies, healthy fats, and whole grains. key word ENOUGH! and start a exercise plan- a gym or home workout videos with weights? weight training is an excellent way to see results!
  • kjmil
    kjmil Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is not a good thing, when you are eating less than 1200, you start burn muscle and not the stored fat. Try to take in that much. I know you can do it!

You can add me if you like, I do my very best to keep the 1200 limit, we can work together.
  • brian2911
    brian2911 Posts: 48
    Options
    any way u can make your main breakfast lunch and dinner bigger? like oatmean is alot of calories.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    it would be beneficial if you made your journal public so people could view it and give you some advice on your calorie intake, water intake, sodium, calorie, choice of foods, exercise..etc.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I could not lose at 1200 either, even if I ate back my exercise calories. I stalled out too. Then I took some very good advice from a pro member here (love u Banks), and I increased my intake. YES increased! I brought it up to 1450 and in about a week, like magic, the weight started coming off again! That was 35 lbs ago, and it's still working!

For some of us, 1200 is just TOO low.

Try increasing, and stick to it for a week, see what happens?
  • PJS323
    PJS323 Posts: 115
    Options
    I've been in the same boat for over a week. I'm stuck. I changed my workouts to start including core & total conditioning classes, on top of my strength, and cardio. I was at 1250 a day, now I'm up to almost 1500, so I am hoping something happens. Your body will plateau, so increasing the amount you exercise, plus adding in some weights should help. I've been crossfit training @ least once a week for 7 weeks, so I'm hoping the stall in weight loss is due to a fluke. Good luck!
  • Kathy11174
    Kathy11174 Posts: 82
    Options
    I struggle daily to get over 1200 but I find that when I get closer to 1400 my scale moves. I find that 2 tablespoons of peanut butter on a half piece of honey wheat bread and a protein bar after my workout at night helps me get over the magic number. I also make sure I am eating 3 meals and 3 snacks (most days anyway) in order to keep my calories up. I do a protein shake in the morning with skim milk and mixed berries and a half a banana. Some days when my stomach is not right its hard and I usually drink most of my meals but as long as you keep the calories up you will lose the weight.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    We can help you with food choices if you open your diary. Without it...if you are going under 1200 calories on a regular basis, that could be the reason you aren't losing. Up your calories to what MFP recommends, plus eat back at least 1/2 of your exercise calories. That should give you the jump start you need.

Like someone else said, the reason you may not be feeling hungry is a slowing of your metabolism...just the opposite of what you want!

Sometimes it takes some experimenting to find what works for you. Good luck!
  • jaimelee1014
    Options
    It sounds like your not eating enough to fuel your metabolism. I suggest adding an avocado to your diet. That would bump you up about 300 (healthy fat ) calories a day. Good luck!
  • adalton6
    adalton6 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes not eating enough will cause you not to loose weight and if you eat to few calories then your body will go into starvation mode. You will loose weight but when you start eating your calories again you will gain weight back and probably a little more.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Your body has become used to doing more with less, so it isn't asking for what it needs anymore ... Try upping your calories a couple hundred for a week, keep your water intake up and see if that helps ... You really DO need to try for the 1200 calories minimum and try to eat back at least half, if not all your exercise calories for a while... Our bodies are complex and amazing little miracles.
    A good analogy I have found is that not eating enough for what you are asking your body to do is like being asked to work an additional 16 hours overtime every week but still only being paid minimum wage for 40 hours a week. Eventually, disgruntled is an understatement... Eventually, you are only going to do what you absolutely HAVE to do to keep your job because there are no other jobs out there. Productivity decreases, company return decreases and everyone suffers.

Good luck and let me know if there is anything I can do to help!
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    try Leslie Sansones walk at home dvd's. They appear dull and background always sucks but, it's a really good walking workout. I turn down the tv volume and listen to music then just follow her movements. My favorite is the 5 mile walk. It puts more muscles into movement that you don't get from just walking alone. And sometimes I add a 12lb weighted vest. Really love that! you might have just hit your plateau and need to change it up a bit. And yes don't forget to eat. I have that trouble too. If I go under 1200 it says I'm starving so I eat 1300 instead. good luck
  • edwardka
    edwardka Posts: 1
    Options
    great ideas, guys! Loving the support from the mfp community. I just joined and I have been losing weight at a good pace but i am noticing this week that i'm not as hungry. I want to ensure i'm heading in the right direction and prevent stalling. How do I open up my food log as I welcome suggestions!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

A good analogy I have found is that not eating enough for what you are asking your body to do is like being asked to work an additional 16 hours overtime every week but still only being paid minimum wage for 40 hours a week. Eventually, disgruntled is an understatement... Eventually, you are only going to do what you absolutely HAVE to do to keep your job because there are no other jobs out there. Productivity decreases, company return decreases and everyone suffers.

What a wonderful analogy!!! I plan on stealing this, shamelessly!!! :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

What a wonderful analogy!!! I plan on stealing this, shamelessly!!! :flowerforyou: :heart:

Agreed! That's a great analogy!