Broken foot ~ need Fitbit advice

Options
well things were going great and I was down 6 lbs in 2 months. But then I broke my foot and possible my wrist last week. I am still waiting to see the orthopedist. In the meantime I have been trying to figure out what adjustments to make and I need guidance!!!

My activity level was previously set at lightly active and I had negative calorie adjustments enabled. Do I need to move my activity level down to sedentary while I am immobilized? Or does the Fitbit provide that adjustment because now it's consistently negative with my very low step number and HR.

I am really hoping to at least maintain my loss. Starting this week I am planning to figure out some exercise program that I can do at home that will keep me from losing my marbles which I think I am significantly at risk for!!!!

Any advice... Fitbit or otherwise... Most welcome.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When using an activity tracker you should put it on sedentary and enable negative calorie adjustments.
    Good news, weight loss comes from a caloric deficit, so the exercise part is unnecessary. Although, hopefully you heal soon and can get back to it, as it helps the deficit and obviously is great for your health.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    If you change your activity level to sedentary (which, sadly, you are!) you will be given a lower calorie allotment than previously when you were set to lightly active. If you stay within that new set amount, you will continue to lose weight at the rate you've chosen.

Hope you're back on your feet soonest!
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The negative adjustments will take care of your lower activity level.

Focus on getting better, good luck!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    well things were going great and I was down 6 lbs in 2 months. But then I broke my foot and possible my wrist last week. I am still waiting to see the orthopedist. In the meantime I have been trying to figure out what adjustments to make and I need guidance!!!

My activity level was previously set at lightly active and I had negative calorie adjustments enabled. Do I need to move my activity level down to sedentary while I am immobilized? Or does the Fitbit provide that adjustment because now it's consistently negative with my very low step number and HR.

I am really hoping to at least maintain my loss. Starting this week I am planning to figure out some exercise program that I can do at home that will keep me from losing my marbles which I think I am significantly at risk for!!!!

You are going to have to double your activity level as fitbit cannot record broken feet.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    If you have negative adjustments on you shouldn't have to change anything. Just be prepared to see much larger negative adjustments.

But I would recommend having it in sedentary anyway. I would hate to forget to synch my Fitbit and absent minded eat at lightly active calories then synch and have a negative 200 adjustment.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

You are going to have to double your activity level as fitbit cannot record broken feet.

But it does count crutches if you update your firmware.
  • allyouwannado
    allyouwannado Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to give you some support! I broke my arm a month ago...it was really tough. I definitely had a pity party the first couple days and ate crap...don't even go there! But now's a good time to really focus on your diet until you're able to exercise again. Think of food as the fuel for mending your bones. When I thought that way it was a lot easier to eat fresh and healthy...and honestly I healed quicker than expected, and getting back into exercise hasn't been as tough as it could've been! I hope your wrist isn't broken so you can at least do something!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I broke my foot and possible my wrist.

With negative calorie adjustments enabled, setting your activity level is a matter of personal preference. I would lower it so you don't "lose" a whole lot of calories later in the day. I would also lower my goal (which should normally be set to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight). Even maintenance is a win with a broken foot.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great advice above about your settings. I just wanted to encourage you to not give up while you are healing. I recently injured my foot and was on crutches for a while. I'm just getting back into the gym, and hitting my steps some days. I wore my fitbit the whole time and also adjusted my deficit so that I could eat just under the same level, but with less of a loss each week. For me, that made more sense.

I also found great ways to work out that didn't mean being on my foot. I did mat exercises (pilates, etc.), and chair workouts. There are a ton of chair workouts on youtube, and I found that the wheelchair zumba ones were the best (in my opinion!). They are fun, and you can get your heart rate up too. Have a look and see what ones might be ok for you, if you want to try to stay active but can't walk. Otherwise, rest up, and I hope you heal quickly!
  • rebeccaj822
    rebeccaj822 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for this very very helpful information and for your encouragement! Yesterday I spent most of the day seeing various orthopedic surgeons. Things are a little more complicated than I first thought. In addition to my broken foot, I've got damage to my ankle ligaments and a possible broken wrist. They will assess me again in 4 weeks but it looks like I may avoid surgery!!

The good news is that I am in a walking boot and am now able to ambulate without crutches! I wanted to kiss the guy who fitted my boot, but my husband was there so I abstained
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sounds painful

I wish you a speedy recovery

and I agree with the great change your settings advice