Protien powder while pregnant

Options
I actually didn't notice this until after a few shakes (I'm not really a regular drinker of them) but if you read the label, protein shakes are not meant for pregnant women... It really surprised me because they were working really well in curbing my sweet-tooth cravings while also keeping me full... Talk about a disappointment! Haven't found any good substitutes as of yet but am still on the lookout.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor because most likely some brands are o.k. for you.

This is one basic recipe for protein shakes that you can modify depending on your taste and how many calories you want.

1 Between one to two cups milk
    2 nuts or seeds (almonds and hemp seeds are my favorite)
    3 kale or spinach or something similar.
    4 any fruit or honey if you do not have fruit handy. Bananas are good. So are blueberries.

lj4q345woqwt.jpg
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I actually didn't notice this until after a few shakes (I'm not really a regular drinker of them) but if you read the label, protein shakes are not meant for pregnant women... It really surprised me because they were working really well in curbing my sweet-tooth cravings while also keeping me full... Talk about a disappointment! Haven't found any good substitutes as of yet but am still on the lookout.

Any suggestions?

There is zero reason to have this. They aren't dangerous unless you're eating something with weird stimulants that supposedly help weight loss.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is not for weight loss anyway. Why not just use fruit and veggies in that smoothie?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You could probably make a great smoothie with Greek yogurt or cottage cheese and fruit. That would be packed with protein. I can understand the appeal of a smoothie while you're pregnant.

If you still want protein powder, discuss it with your OB.
  • percolater
    percolater Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Many foods and supplements found in "health food" stores don't have to meet FDA requirements. I, personally, wouldn't touch any of it while pregnant. JMHO
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I am pregnant and make protein shakes with whey protein powder, almond milk, yogurt and either fruit or cocoa powder/peanut butter. I also bake using whey protein powder. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating whey protein powder while pregnant (unless you have some condition or complication and your doctor has recommended otherwise). Many women in the fitness world who are pregnant go on to consume whey protein powder 1-2 times daily to supplement their meals and ensure they are getting enough protein. There are many fitness supplements that definitely should be avoided during pregnancy such as anything containing caffeine, pre-workouts, things containing appetite suppressants or other stimulants, green coffee bean extract, green tea extract etc. etc. etc. There are all sorts of protein powders that are fine though (whey, pea, egg white, brown rice, etc.) Just talk about it with your OB.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Protein powder is not for weight loss anyway. Why not just use fruit and veggies in that smoothie?

Some brands of drinks promote themselves as high protein for weight loss, though traditional protein powder isn't used this way.

I hate protein powder. If I'm going to eat, I want it to taste GOOD.
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    As others have said, protein powder is not for weight loss. As for if you should be taking protein powder while pregnant, talk to your doctor, and also research the protein powder you're taking. A lot of companies add other supplements to protein powders that may not be healthy or reactions unknown (from lack of studies), on an unborn baby.
  • melissadparks7mil
    melissadparks7mil Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I will ask my OB about it. Thanks for all the great advise... I really only like it because it does a really good job of curbing my sweet tooth... My husband has the Whey Protein Powder that is Chocolate Peanut Butter or some such similar taste... and it is SOOOO good! With my daughter is was salty stuffs... with this one its a bad sweet tooth LOL...

Any good FILLING non-yogurt smoothies out there?? I have yet to find a good one that will sate my sweet tooth and keep me full for longer than 30 minutes.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you'd say they aren't for pregnant women! Seriously everything says "check with your doctor first if you are pregnant or nursing." That doesn't mean it's harmful. Enjoy away, though chose one without colors, dyes, or artificial sweeteners if you can.