Home gym on a budget

Options
gothchiq
gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
Okay, at the end of the summer we're moving out of this complex to an actual house. No more free gym. So I plan to create a home gym downstairs. Now I am on a fairly tight budget so it's gonna be all about freecycle and Craigslist, snapping up things that others are selling off cheap because they didn't use it. What kinds of equipment do you guys recommend? Elliptical and weight bench... or are there other things I should be getting?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Depends on your budget. Cheap power rack, bar, plates and a bench will get you far. I bought most of my stuff on Craigslist for 30-40% of new purchase price. Some even cheaper than that.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You can find plenty of cheap stuff on craigslist. If you are looking to lose weight, I would suggest some type of cardio machine you enjoy as well as some weights, be it with a barbell or dumbbells.
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    All you need is your body and the SWORKIT Lite app
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    You need a barbell, plates, and a rack of some kind that'll allow you to do presses and squats. I picked up a combo rack, bar, and 465 pounds of plates used for $150 used, added a second bar for $50, two pairs of dumbell bars, a curl bar and 165 pounds of plates for $75 and an incline/decline bench for $25. It's a pretty sweet setup, you just have to dig through the classifieds every day and be patient.

Rigger
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I would get a power rack with a barbell and plates, a bench, and an elliptical.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    For me, the essential thing is a good, big enough floor mat. Not a small thin yogamat but something that is wider and about twice as thick. Everything else is nice to have but not a must.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I bought WOSS suspension trainers for my outdoor bootcamp at $30 a piece. As much as a pain as it is switching plates, a good solid set of plate removeable dumbells is good to have. An adjustable bench and treadmill would be the others.
    Personally this is what I have in my home when I can't go to the gym.

bio-force-pro-2_zpshawltsg9.jpg I got a great deal on it back in 2004.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    your budget? your goals?
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Go for a Bench, and Bow flex barbells/dumbbells adjustable,
  • gothchiq
    Options
    To answer the question, my budget is that I can't spend more than $100 on any individual piece of equipment; my goals are maintaining cardio fitness and increasing strength. Thanks guys.
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For $40 on Amazon you can get a good set of resistance bands, and an other $15 will get you a ropeless jump rope. You can do amazing workouts. Jumping rope is great cardio, and harder than it sounds. The resistance bands can meet your weight training needs. I would also invest in a large full body mirror to watch your form. If you can save up and get a good one, rowing machines provide an excelent full body workout!

Any other equipment I would buy off craigslist. but I wouldnt spend anything on cardiovascular equipment. You can run, do jumping jacks, run stairs, jump rope, for free.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @Dawn410 has great suggestions.
    you could get a few low weight dumbells for cheap on craigslist or a second hand gym store

and you can do body weight work. there are videos online and dvds you can buy
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I'd start with a set of variable weight dumbbells (such as SelectTech) and a bench. You can gradually add other items - power rack, olympic bar, plates, cardio equiment, etc.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    I forgot to mention I'm arthritic and can't do high impact anything. If I can find a used elliptical for cheap.... I can be patient until someone is practically throwing it at me lol! XD
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I forgot to mention I'm arthritic and can't do high impact anything. If I can find a used elliptical for cheap.... I can be patient until someone is practically throwing it at me lol! XD
    I'd highly suggest yoga. it's as low or high impact as you want

I know it's not at home but consider going to the pool and swim
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Dawn410 wrote: »
    For $40 on Amazon you can get a good set of resistance bands, and an other $15 will get you a ropeless jump rope. You can do amazing workouts. Jumping rope is great cardio, and harder than it sounds. The resistance bands can meet your weight training needs. I would also invest in a large full body mirror to watch your form. If you can save up and get a good one, rowing machines provide an excelent full body workout!

Any other equipment I would buy off craigslist. but I wouldnt spend anything on cardiovascular equipment. You can run, do jumping jacks, run stairs, jump rope, for free.

Just out of curiosity, what would you need a ropeless jumprope for? Why not just jump up and down while rotating your wrists?
  • gothchiq
    Options
    ropeless? I have never heard of this! If I were able to jump at all, lord knows, I would probably be doing it as it's a cheap way to burn many calories. But my youth and cartilage are gone lol so I am all about the low impact way of doing things. A stationary bike is something the doctor recommends, and I currently use one in the gym. I feel like I get a better workout overall on the elliptical, but I do like them both.

As a kid, jumping rope was fabulous. Heh, many memories.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Scored a NordicTrack for $4 at a yard sale, have located someone who will be willing to sell me her recumbent bike that she no longer uses (tested it out, nothing wrong with it). Now I just need the weights and I'll be good to go!