Having a diet free night..

Options
Ok what are peoples thoughts about having a diet free night...me i think that its vital to feel 'normal'to not count caleries for one evening a week makes the other 6 days easier to get though knowing that im coming up to my calerie free night!! I dont go all out..but i do enjoy a few drinks and have take out or go out to dinner..

Im interested to see how others get through the week.. :drinker:

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I usually have one calorie-counting free day every couple of weeks or so, if I'm going to be eating out or having a special occasion where I will want to eat more. I call it splurge day but try not to go too crazy!
  • snakegoddess_3
    Options
    I have a junk night where I do just that. I try not to go overboard but I would recommend still logging your food. I think it's perfectly normal to do so otherwise I would not diet because I could never eat what I want
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I don't know about other people on MFP, but I don't consider what I'm doing a diet, just a more active lifestyle and healthier eating most of the time...so if I go out with friends or family once a week or so, I still log it in regardless of the amounts (or do quick add calories and guestimate) same as every day...the mentality of NOT feeling like I'm on a diet is working really well for me. :)
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    Two major reason to do it!
    1. Rewards you and kills off the cravings along -- also giving you a day to look forward to during the week.
    2. The human body gets bored - having a bad day allowed you to start a new diet each week.

I have lost 33 pounds doing just this! What I did was change each week after my bad day. I always have three rule: What not to eat? What to eat? How much exercise to get for each week? I try not to do the same things two weeks in a row. This week is more water, unpacking from move for my exercise, and I cannot have any type of pasta.

Life is short I wanna die with something that I love in my belly!
  • tasiac23
    tasiac23 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I usually have a meal once a week that I'm not supposed to eat on a normal basis....like yesterday, I took my daughter to McDonald's for lunch to get a happy meal and of course I couldn't help but splurge lol. still counted it in my diary and was shocked at how much fat and carbs and all that I consumed!!!! Enjoyed it all the same though lol and worked most of it off today :)
  • Keri2413
    Keri2413 Posts: 4
    Options
    I do this, too. Iif I had to give up going out with friends one night a week, having a few drinks, actually enjoying (moderately) the available food without wigging out, then my desire to keep up with the routine other days would be shot.

It's about your overall changes, not obsessing about every single calorie! :drinker:
  • HeatherSuzanne123
    Options
    Hi Jen_42! I make it a point to have 1 day a week that I don't pay attention the how many calories I should or should not be eating. I ususally plan to eat out with my kids, somewhere they will enjoy, and then we go for icecream. Or for example I killed it today! I went to a Mexican resturant with a girlfriend and we had nachos and tacos, which totally made me go over my set calories. (No exercise today either!) I also enjoyed a piece of peach pie that I bought at the local farmers market today! Good luck and never beat yourself up about enjoying those foods you love. I truly believe that moderation is key!
  • ariesangel
    ariesangel Posts: 15
    Options
    i find it helpful to allow myself a cheat day now and then as long as i dont go overboard. it helps keep me going knowing that im not depriving myself of ALL of the "good stuff". and there are days when ive been especially good and have extra cals left over that i allow myself a treat as long as im within my calorie limits. plus it keeps the body guessing when you switch it up.
  • feliciapeters
    feliciapeters Posts: 525
    Options
    every week on weigh day, i have what i want, regardless, but i DO log it. I have a week to work it off lol.